PDA

View Full Version : V-Ray for Maya Beta RC Now Available!

VisualDynamics
05-12-2009, 11:25 PM
http://www.vray.com/vray_for_maya/media/vray_for_maya_beta_rc.png

http://www.vray.com/vray_for_maya/media/vray_for_maya_example3.png
Image by Jeremy Cooper

V-Ray for Maya is now shipping as a Beta RC release. You can now purchase V-Ray for Maya without the original Beta limitations. A release date for the final v1.0 of V-Ray for Maya is slated for the middle of this year. The Beta RC release is downloaded and the licensing is completed via email. All Beta RC customers will receive the final V-Ray for Maya v1.0 release download and licensing dongle when it becomes available.

http://www.vray.com/vray_for_maya/media/vray_for_maya_example1.png
Image by Jeremy Cooper

The V-Ray Rendering System offers the fastest photo-realistic rendering technology in the world. Coupled with the Maya platform, V-Ray for Maya provides an unprecedented amount of power for your advanced rendering needs.

More information can be found at the following:
http://www.vray.com/vray_for_maya/buy_vray_for_maya.shtml

PorkpieSamurai
05-12-2009, 11:36 PM
Finally!
Sahweet!

Airflow
05-13-2009, 12:46 AM
At last, Ill see the end of that VRay-like interior renders with mental ray??? thread :)
Nice work V, show em how its done.

xxbinxx
05-13-2009, 01:03 AM
I checked the Chaosgroup website and could not see anything about Vray for Maya.
So are you Kidding me or are they so lazy ?

rock
05-13-2009, 03:17 AM
Why takes so looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong?

eikonoklastes
05-13-2009, 07:03 AM
What on earth is a Beta RC?

mister3d
05-13-2009, 07:06 AM
What on earth is a Beta RC?

RC - release candidate.

Buexe
05-13-2009, 07:07 AM
You have to sign an NDA with them and if you do commercial work with it, you have to agree to this:
Any use of the software for commercial purposes, which may be but are not limited to
creating images, parts of images which may be stills or animations which become part of
commercial products or parts of advertisements of commercial products, shall be coordinated
between Recipient and Developer and approved by both sides in writing.

so basically, they ask you for funds for their beta phase ... weird!:surprised

CornFielD
05-13-2009, 08:03 AM
Wohooo \o/... Linux/Maya/vray here I come. :bounce:

Xestion
05-13-2009, 08:50 AM
Sweet! Been in the vRay for maya beta for a while now and I love it! Good to see a proper release coming this year.

AJ
05-13-2009, 11:40 AM
I can't see any official info on this... Any further links?

^Lele^
05-13-2009, 11:43 AM
You have to sign an NDA with them and if you do commercial work with it, you have to agree to this:
Any use of the software for commercial purposes, which may be but are not limited to
creating images, parts of images which may be stills or animations which become part of
commercial products or parts of advertisements of commercial products, shall be coordinated

And how do you infer money comes into play, from that?
It seems to me it's a lot more geared in avoiding leakages of beta-quality material, rather than making money out of an nda.

thev
05-13-2009, 12:16 PM
so basically, they ask you for funds for their beta phase ... weird!:surprisedYou didn't notice the NDA appendix link below then?

http://www.vray.com/vray_for_maya/media/VRayForMaya_NDA_commercial_appendix.rtf

...grants Recipient the rights to use the Product for commercial purposes, which may include, but are not limited to, creating images, parts of images which may be stills or animations which become part of commercial products or parts of advertisements of commercial products...

Buexe
05-13-2009, 12:41 PM
And how do you infer money comes into play, from that?
It seems to me it's a lot more geared in avoiding leakages of beta-quality material, rather than making money out of an nda.

Well, first you pay but you don`t get a full license to a released product, but a RC. Second, you are allowed to produce commercial work with it, but have to get their okay to publish it ( appendix to NDA). Am I the only one who thinks this is weird??!! I could understand if the NDA is for screenshots, feature details and what not, but to get their okay for finished renderings you sell to clients???

thev
05-13-2009, 12:46 PM
Well, first you pay but you don`t get a full license to a released product, but a RC. Second, you are allowed to produce commercial work with it, but have to get their okay to publish it ( appendix to NDA). Am I the only one who thinks this is weird??!! I could understand if the NDA is for screenshots, feature details and what not, but to get their okay for finished renderings you sell to clients???You appear to have missed some of the information. You are certainly allowed to produce anything you need: ...Developer further grants Recipient the rights to use the Product for commercial purposes, which may include, but are not limited to, creating images, parts of images which may be stills or animations which become part of commercial products or parts of advertisements of commercial product...

^Lele^
05-13-2009, 12:58 PM
Well, first you pay but you don`t get a full license to a released product, but a RC.

I'd suggest you to go read the vray for maya forums on the chaosgroup site, before saying "you don't get a full license to a released product".
It's been usable for a good few months now, with a few minor issues here and there.
Aside from that, you DO pay for a full released version: as the final comes out, it's yours.
All V-Ray for Maya Beta RC customers will receive the final v1.0 release download (including the shipped licensing dongle) when it becomes available.
They'll even ship you the authorisation dongle for free. ;)

Buexe
05-13-2009, 01:02 PM
You appear to have missed some of the information. You are certainly allowed to produce anything you need:

... if you get their signature in the first place. You obviously have to get their signature anyway in the first place even for the non-commercial NDA, so no big deal. Basically you can help them fund and help them with their development (According to the NDA you are obliged to give feedback), so maybe they have people who are okay with that, but I would not spend money to test a software.

Buexe
05-13-2009, 01:05 PM
I'd suggest you to go read the vray for maya forums on the chaosgroup site, before saying "you don't get a full license to a released product".
It's been usable for a good few months now, with a few minor issues here and there.
Aside from that, you DO pay for a full released version: as the final comes out, it's yours.

They'll even ship you the authorisation dongle for free. ;)

Man, I have stepped on some toes here right? OKAY you get a final license whenever they release it and yeah cool free dongle shipping, yeah pure awesomeness!!!
( I would prefer a specific release date, btw )

MrHooper
05-13-2009, 01:06 PM
no Buexe, you aren't the only one to think paying for an RC is weird. I think it odd at best, to downright wrong at worst. I'm not knocking vray. I've used it on max, but I'm betting that they have been too lax on the maya development for too long, and all of a sudden, the economy is pushing them for a release to boost sales. This is entirely conjecture on my part... but I'm betting they need some cash, and are putting out a release they aren't 100% comfortable with. I may be wrong, it may be stable and useful, and fine, but why not then call it 1.0?

I'll keep my ears open as others take the chance;)

Andrew

thev
05-13-2009, 01:11 PM
... if you get their signature in the first place. You obviously have to get their signature anyway in the first place even for the non-commercial NDA, so no big deal. Basically you can help them fund and help them with their development (According to the NDA you are obliged to give feedback), so maybe they have people who are okay with that, but I would not spend money to test a software.Of course; what you spend money on is entirely your own business! This was not my point. The point is, that if you want to use it, you can do that now. If you don't - that's perfectly ok.

thev
05-13-2009, 01:13 PM
no Buexe, you aren't the only one to think paying for an RC is weird. I think it odd at best, to downright wrong at worst.Brazil 2.0 Pre-Release for 3ds Max was sold for some time also. Of course, that may have seemed odd too.

^Lele^
05-13-2009, 01:13 PM
Again, go on the vray for maya chaos forums, and read.
There's a wealth of information there about what works, what doesn't and why.
There is a slated release date for the middle of the year.
If they gave you a fixed one, sold you a "final" which has bugs, ON the date, would you not then complain vocally?

Stepping on toes, no.
But the wholly negative, whinging attitude does get under my skin a bit.
You obviously aren't aware of the kind of support Chaos gives to its customers on a daily basis, and it does bother me you should just slag them off on a whim :)
But no, i ain't an employee, you got the wrong guy ;)

Als
05-13-2009, 01:19 PM
How many render licenses comes with Vray?
Is there any more information on the web site about this, and similar questions?

Thanks

Als

thev
05-13-2009, 01:21 PM
How many render licenses comes with Vray?
Is there any more information on the web site about this, and similar questions?I believe it's 10 render licenses, but it would be best to email to vray@chaosgroup.com for exact info.

mister3d
05-13-2009, 01:23 PM
I may be wrong, it may be stable and useful, and fine, but why not then call it 1.0?
Andrew

Because Vray users have the benefit of receiving free upgrades untill the next version. That's why vray team doesn't call those inbetween versions with new features vray 1, 2, 3... So it's a good thing for final users.

Buexe
05-13-2009, 01:28 PM
Again, go on the vray for maya chaos forums, and read.
There's a wealth of information there about what works, what doesn't and why.
There is a slated release date for the middle of the year.
If they gave you a fixed one, sold you a "final" which has bugs, ON the date, would you not then complain vocally?

Stepping on toes, no.
But the wholly negative, whinging attitude does get under my skin a bit.
You obviously aren't aware of the kind of support Chaos gives to its customers on a daily basis, and it does bother me you should just slag them off on a whim :)
But no, i ain't an employee, you got the wrong guy ;)

Please stop projecting stuff into people you don`t know. You call my attitude wholly negative and whining and that I supposedly "just slag them off", because I allowed myself a critical word on their business model? Get real.

^Lele^
05-13-2009, 02:14 PM
But i AM real, broh.
If you cited explicit features which are broken in this "RC" as a mean to criticise, i'd be all with you, and tell you not to buy it if you feel it doesn't fill your cup.
Since, as i say, you seem NOT to know the kind of support chaos clients are given on a daily basis, and do NOT seem to be aware of their somewhat "strange" labelling mechanism, NOR seem willing to investigate it through reading the wealth of feedback the forums contain, that TO ME sound whining and slagging, you got that bit right.

As far as "selling RCs for Finals", i'd say it's quite unfair to criticise Chaos Group of all the companies (given what their RCs -and SPs for that matter- provided the users with, in the not so distant past).
In 3d Rendering, this seems a quite usual trend: brazil, fryrender, maxwell, to name a few.
At least it's not labelled "final" to please the marketing department, which in my eyes is a big plus.
And the fact that they ask you to provide feedback (hey, an email questionnaire!) seems only rigorous and welcome, to me.
A real chance to shape a product up.
After all, as Vlado well put it, one is free to spend his money as one sees fit: at least it's all clearly black on white.

aglick
05-13-2009, 02:15 PM
I believe it's 10 render licenses, but it would be best to email to vray@chaosgroup.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/vray@chaosgroup.com) for exact info.

Hey All,

Sorry to disappoint - but there has been no official announcement from Chaos Group regarding any RC status on VRAY for Maya... Everybody needs to calm down.

If you want early access to the product, you will need to contact them directly at support@chaosgroup.com

^Lele^
05-13-2009, 02:18 PM
Funny you should quote the maker of the software ;)

AJ
05-13-2009, 02:23 PM
Funny you should quote the maker of the software ;) I was just thinking the exact same thing!

Buexe
05-13-2009, 02:34 PM
But i AM real, broh.
If you cited explicit features which are broken in this "RC" as a mean to criticise, i'd be all with you, and tell you not to buy it if you feel it doesn't fill your cup.
Since, as i say, you seem NOT to know the kind of support chaos clients are given on a daily basis, and do NOT seem to be aware of their somewhat "strange" labelling mechanism, NOR seem willing to investigate it through reading the wealth of feedback the forums contain, that TO ME sound whining and slagging, you got that bit right.

As far as "selling RCs for Finals", i'd say it's quite unfair to criticise Chaos Group of all the companies (given what their RCs -and SPs for that matter- provided the users with, in the not so distant past).
In 3d Rendering, this seems a quite usual trend: brazil, fryrender, maxwell, to name a few.
At least it's not labelled "final" to please the marketing department, which in my eyes is a big plus.
And the fact that they ask you to provide feedback (hey, an email questionnaire!) seems only rigorous and welcome, to me.
A real chance to shape a product up.
After all, as Vlado well put it, one is free to spend his money as one sees fit: at least it's all clearly black on white.

Your POV != my POV, have a good day!:wavey:

cheebamonkey
05-13-2009, 04:05 PM

yeah I didn't do the NDA thing. As for funding their beta.. I guess they finally realized they needed more money after Vray for Maya being in perpetual beta for about 3-4 years now. :\

If it works, it should be a good alternative to MR and that slow ass maxwell.

thev
05-13-2009, 04:18 PM
I guess they finally realized they needed more money after Vray for Maya being in perpetual beta for about 3-4 years now. :\Hm, is that remark meant to hurt the developers or it is really your opinion? Perhaps we should have released it 2 years ago and taken your money for a half-working version instead?!

Als
05-13-2009, 04:24 PM
There was a special showing today in London, but couldn't really make it (due to work)
which is such a shame.
Has anyone been there and if there is anything to comment, or that was NDA as well?

Thanks

Als

vaanish
05-13-2009, 05:15 PM
I checked the Chaosgroup website and could not see anything about Vray for Maya.
So are you Kidding me or are they so lazy ?

Here is a little info about Vray for maya..
http://www.chaosgroup.com/en/2/downloads.html?s=v-ray

TAVO
05-13-2009, 05:51 PM
i heard it comes with the standalone version, is that true ??

it supports Maya´s particles ?? Fluids ?? or that will be implemented in time ??

looking forward to it.

fahr
05-13-2009, 06:19 PM
I can't find any feature list or info.

Does it support particles? Fur? Fluids? Is it on mac/linux?

NEED INFO!!

:)

slipknot66
05-13-2009, 06:49 PM
If you check the v-ray for maya forum at chaosgroup, you can get more info.
Fluids and Fur are not supported yet.
Check the v-ray forum.

Als
05-13-2009, 08:57 PM
For a risk of sounding silly, I think this should really be offered, not chased for...
Please give us more information!
Which options in maya are supported? How many render licenses are included?
etc.
What happened on the meeting today in London? Is this all under NDA?
I'm bit confused about this. Is it a secret how the program works?

Thank you

Als

xxbinxx
05-14-2009, 04:40 AM
Here is a little info about Vray for maya..
http://www.chaosgroup.com/en/2/downloads.html?s=v-ray

I got it ! Thank you :argh:

instinct-vfx
05-14-2009, 07:41 AM
erm...

V-Ray for Maya is currently only available as free beta; the official release is expected later this year. If you wish to take part in the beta program, please email us to vray@chaosgroup.com

Best regards,
Vlado

From the official forums. Just as a heads up...

Airflow
05-14-2009, 11:45 AM
Im just waiting for the day its fully realeased.

alexentremont
05-14-2009, 06:45 PM
Im just waiting for the day its fully realeased.
Sounds like a wise idea to me!

vfx
05-14-2009, 08:54 PM
Woot! How did I miss this thread! Anyone who's tried this out, how does the material/shader setup work?

Great news!

AJ
05-15-2009, 06:36 AM
Woot! How did I miss this thread! Anyone who's tried this out, how does the material/shader setup work?I'm fairly certain the NDA means no-one can answer these just yet.

ChaosGroup
05-15-2009, 02:03 PM
Hello everyone,

We at Chaos Software, reading this topic consider it would be best to interfere in the discussion.

Currently, V-Ray for Maya is available as a free beta version, for non-commercial use.

However, many users who tested the product are satisfied with the results and want to use it for commercial purposes. We generally agree with this, and they have the option of purchasing V-Ray for Maya now and receive the final official version for free when it is released.

Approximate release date for V-Ray for Maya is set to be in the third quarter of this year. If you have any questions, please write either to vraymaya@chaosgroup.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/vraymaya@chaosgroup.com) or vray@chaosgroup.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/vray@chaosgroup.com).

We would like to apologies for the misunderstandings.

Best Regards,
Chaos Software Team

Ptichat
05-18-2009, 07:09 PM
Hey Chaosgroup,
Thanks for your wonderful work.

Is there a reason not to publish de beta for Maya 2009 ? Why just 2008 and 8.5 ?

I really want to give a try at home, even my team at work, but I won't install an old Maya for that :scream:

ChaosGroup
05-19-2009, 11:15 AM
Hello Yann,

There are both 32 and 64-bit versions of V-Ray for Maya 2009 available for all beta testers on our download area. If you have any issues accessing them, please drop us an e-mail to vraymaya@chaosgroup.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/vraymaya@chaosgroup.com)

Best regards,
Tedi

Support Manager
Chaos Group|Chaos Software
tel: +359 2 422 422 1
tel: +359 2 489 44 86
fax: +1 818 4751567

Als
05-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Hi,
can you please tell us how many extra render licenses are included with one main vray license? (if any)

Thanks

Als

CGTalk Moderation
05-19-2009, 06:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.