PDA

View Full Version : Material Problem after Insert Edge Loop

EightBit
05-12-2009, 08:03 PM
Hi all:
I have a simple model in which I want to increase the res by adding edge loops. When I add the edgeloops w/either the insert- or offset- edgeloop tool, new UVs are created and the texture displays correctly in openGL and in the UV editor. However, when I render the object, the new faces don't show the image map (the faces render gray). If I assign a different texture with an image map, it will render correctly. But if I then reassign the original texture, the image map doesn't render.
To add to the confusion, if I create a subdiv proxy of the mesh, the proxy renders correctly, but if I smooth the mesh, the texture in question doesn't render at all.
Maybe this is an issure related to using a subdiv proxy?
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Dansolo
05-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Just wondering if deleting the history after you have added all the detail and edgeloops will solve it.

Dan

achoury
05-13-2009, 12:07 PM
Hi all:
I have a simple model in which I want to increase the res by adding edge loops. When I add the edgeloops w/either the insert- or offset- edgeloop tool, new UVs are created and the texture displays correctly in openGL and in the UV editor. However, when I render the object, the new faces don't show the image map (the faces render gray). If I assign a different texture with an image map, it will render correctly. But if I then reassign the original texture, the image map doesn't render.
To add to the confusion, if I create a subdiv proxy of the mesh, the proxy renders correctly, but if I smooth the mesh, the texture in question doesn't render at all.
Maybe this is an issure related to using a subdiv proxy?
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Hi
you have to recreate the uv map!
smooth and insert edge are different: you can test it with this simple example:
1.create a cube, apply uv map (automatic) and assign a simple material with texture, then render.
2. Smooth your object several time and render, the object is rendered with no problem.

Now repeat the step 1 and insert one or more edge and render you get the problem! so you have to recreate the uv map to solve the problem.

hope this help
/rachid

EightBit
05-13-2009, 04:36 PM
I did try deleting the history.

Regarding rebuilding the UV map - I didn't try that! However, the UVs displayed correctly in the UV editor, and the texture was displayed correctly in the viewport (on the new pgons). Achoury, I don't think you are correct. If you create a simple plane and map a texture, then add edgeloops, you'll see that they are inserted correctly into the UV map.
In my case, I had to create a new texture and apply it to the newly created geometry (didn't need to redo the UVs). Oddly, when I applied the original material, or even a copy of the original material, the new pgons rendered as gray.
Because a new texture worked correctly, I think there is something corrupt in the material node.
Thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
05-13-2009, 04:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.