PDA

View Full Version : Time for a switch.

PPGINGRAS
07-17-2003, 03:55 PM
Hi all...

Im working in an small animation/compositing house in canada.

We are using Combustion 2.1.1 on a Dual Xeon 2.2, 2gigs RAM and a Digisuite FULL.

We are now looking for other solutions to optimize our pipeline.

I've been working with SHAKE for a long time, but since im here, i have to use Combustion. Great software, but its linear, pretty limited in terms of workflow, no macros writing possibilities and of course...incredibly long render times.

So i was looking at DF4...looks great and supports a DigiSuite Full.

What do you think about DF4, is it faster in terms of rendering and workflow then C2?

Should we wait for C3 instead of switching to DF4?

Thanks to all

PP Gingras
FX/Compositing
Interstation
www.sattion3d.com

Badllarma
07-17-2003, 04:00 PM
I've personally find it quicker, just using a demo at present as I'm waiting for my LW8 DFX bundle. But who knows what C 3 will bring.

I'm really happy with what I've seen of DF 4 though

jlelievre
07-17-2003, 04:08 PM
I agree with Badllarma, I really like DF 4. It's fast and it's really easy to use. If you like Shake then DF won't take that long to learn. I feel that nodes are the way to go. I like Combustion* but the whole linear thing tends to be tedious once you've worked with an app that uses nodes.

my 2 cents

p.s. I just tried to link to your website but some search page came up instead. So I tried www.station3d.com and it seemed to work....just wanted to let you know. :)

Joel
http://www.intrinsia.net

Jayk2k
07-17-2003, 06:45 PM
Generally I've found DF to be about 30-40% faster than C* when dealing with bluescreen, color correction etc. I've honestly only performed a few limited tests though. But a simple 4 layer comp at HD was rendered quite a bit faster in DF.

beaker
07-17-2003, 08:19 PM
Also DF has a pretty nice scripting language called based on C called Lua. Unfortunatly it's not shake, so you can't do everything in it(Shake was a command line only tool originally), but it is still pretty powerfull. I still have to sit down and fully conquer it, but from what I have briefly used, it is pretty simple to learn and use. It's still miles ahead of having absoultly no scripting/expressions like Combustion.

Digital Fusion is still not faster than Shake(shake uses a scanline renderer so it works sorta like Prman, DF is a buffer renderer, so it has to load everything in memory like a raytracer). Comming from Combustion, it is still much faster and will use less ram.

PPGINGRAS
07-17-2003, 08:24 PM
Well thanks to all...

We've downloaded the demo version, from now, the interface and workflow seems way better than C2.

Plus, the Preview plays in realtime into my ref monitor...C2 cant do that, even with Framebuffer.

Another BIG plus, you can import an EDL and Capture the project...Amazing.

More comments would be appreciated.

PPGINGRAS

Flywaver
07-19-2003, 06:52 PM
I got DFX+ with the LW bundle and it's definitely top in my list! I used mostly AE Prod. Bundle for a year, then C2 for a while and now DFX+ and it's definitely faster than the other 2 and I find it very friendly now that I got a bit familiar of how it works.

I miss the particles and don't have the keying module, so C2 is better in this area out of the box but if you get the full DF then I don't think you will miss anything! :)

Cheers!

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.