PDA

View Full Version : Character: Head Texturing

DADDYGOODY
07-17-2003, 04:51 PM
Hi there this is my first image map I have ever created what do you think I spent about 45 minutes on it what else would you do to it.
http://www.123ezcd.com/face.jpg

Lukashi
07-17-2003, 05:25 PM
Its looks like it was drawn in ms paint, try using better brushes and some references next time

Goon
07-17-2003, 05:53 PM
even if you cannot afford photoshop or painter there are plenty of cheap, even free alternatives. Using Ms paint is a trying experience. Look into GIMP, it is available on windows, though it is linux software.

why is there a watermark on it? No offence, but i would hope that no one would try and rip that off (putting it there makes me assume that this is a joke).

DADDYGOODY
07-17-2003, 06:06 PM
I saw that leigh did that so I did it to anyways I did it with photoshop 7.o with a size 100 brush set on dissolve mode. And that is how I did the beard I know that it is not really that good I am working on the skin And I think what I will do is make some really nice eyebrows and then do the beard on a different surface I post an image when it is done.

Gamoron
07-17-2003, 06:34 PM
I think you need to do some experimenting with photoshop. This map clearly shows you really don't know how to use the program. There is a whole lot of blending that needs to be donw here. Learn the program then try to do the map.

DADDYGOODY
07-17-2003, 06:36 PM
Well I can build almost and 2d object in photoshop I just cant seem to be able to get this skinn textureing stuff down.

Goon
07-17-2003, 06:49 PM
My apologies then. Are you using a mouse?

DADDYGOODY
07-17-2003, 06:52 PM
Yep I am using a laser mouse.
I think one more thing might help me out it would be to learn how to do cracks for small wrinkles by the eyes.

golem
07-17-2003, 07:12 PM
i'd like to be rude and expose freely my opinion about it, but i see that there's a bad trend to refuse critics.
what's the problem man? did u never see a texture map or you really never put yourself in painting a model?
let me be friendly sincere, there's no clue we can give you at this level of the work, cause there's nothin to criticize, nothing to improve... no texture i mean.

i think that if you really want to paint a texture should start reading some bill fleming lecture, or maybe easier to scan a photo and modify in order to obtain the maps you need (diffusion, color, bump, specular).

c'mon... there's a lot of things to learn start surfing the net.
good luck

golem

leigh
07-18-2003, 12:01 AM
Firstly, Daddygoody, please read the forum rules before posting next time - you labelled your thread incorrectly.
I've renamed it - ordinarily it would be deleted, but since there were a few replies already, I thought it would be a waste to delete.
But please read the rules before posting any more threads here.

This is also my first post in this forum, as I usually tend to avoid critting people's work too much, but here goes...

In honesty, in ALL honesty, and I'm sorry to say this, but... I really think you need to STOP before you paint anymore, and THINK really hard about this.

For starters, we have that huge thread in the Texturing Forum on human skin, that you have read, and have responded to a number of times. Have you not seen the texture maps posted in that thread? Surely they should give you an indication that this map you are making is NOT going in the right direction? You even mentioned that you'd watermarked your image because of a texture that I watermarked in a similar fashion, so you have seen textures painted for faces.
So, having adequate reference already, I am struggling to understand why you are having so much difficulty painting a face texture :sad:

What is it about the process that you do not understand? Because looking at this texture you've made so far, there seems to be something that you do not understand about the process of painting textures. You said that this is 45 minutes of work - if I were to look at this, I would have said it was about 2 minutes of work, at tops. I don't mean to sound rude by that, but what I mean is that it doesn't even look like you are trying to paint something properly... There are no shortcuts in CG - painting textures is a slow, detailed process that involves a lot of planning, care and attention to detail.

Look at that image you have painted so far and ask yourself: does that actually look like a persons face? Personally, I don't think so. It looks cartoonish, and I don't think that's the result you are after, is it?

So, where did you go wrong? Well, lets go back to the beginning. You didn't get reference, did you? Are you painting this purely from your imagination? Or are you following a tutorial? If so, I think you really need to work on your basic painting skills. And I'm not talking about texturing now, but about painting as a whole. Even though you are using a mouse, you can still create far more detail than that - surely when you look at that, you can see for yourself that it does not look at all like skin?

What I recommend is to start over. And before you even THINK about starting painting, get LOADS and LOADS of reference - photos AND texture maps made by other people, if you can find them.

Then, once you have lots of reference, study all of it, and get a good idea in your mind of what you need to paint in order to achieve the same look. You need to plan these things.

I'm sorry to say this, but the questions that you ask (all over CG Talk) betray the fact that you just don't ever seem to think for yourself! If you don't think for yourself, you'll never get anywhere, in this world - you'll end up pushing pens for other people in boring offices.

So, take some initiative!

When you start painting, think about faces, and think about the details that skin has, and look at your reference pics, and PAINT WHAT YOU SEE. When it comes to painting, there are no little secrets and tricks or anything like that - it really just comes down to painting what you NEED, and you know what you need because of what you SEE.

You can't go around asking people "How do I make cracks or wrinkles in skin?" because you can EASILY answer that question for yourself if you just think about it. Seriously - how do you THINK they are made?? With a paintbrush! That's what painting is - creating what you need by using brush strokes. So the answer to all your questions is - use your brush. That's all painting is.

You also need to be able to look critically at your own work. How can you look at those eyebrows, and think they look fine? Have you ever seen anyone with eyebrows like that? I sure haven't! Eyebrows are made out of individual hairs... hairs that can be reproduced digitally by lines. Just lines. That's all.

So my advice to you is:

Get references - LOTS of them.
Before asking for help, THINK about your problem. Can you REALLY not solve it yourself?
Your paintbrush is the way that you translate what you see in your references onto your own texture. Don't think, JUST PAINT. A paintbrush doesn't require thought, it's a tool.
Be self critical. Look at your work, and develop a sense of being able to decide what needs work.

I'm sorry that this has been such a harsh crit my friend, but you really need to start thinking for yourself before giving up and asking others. It's one thing to ask advice when you really get stuck, but asking other people to solve every hurdle along the way for you is going to teach you nothing. And what is the point of going through all these stages if you are going to learn nothing by the end of it?

Some people think that I am a good texturing artist, and I don't think I'm too bad at it myself, so I'll tell you something about my own history in this: I was NEVER taught how to texture by anyone. I read about texturing theory, and figured out the practical stuff by thinking logically and experimenting. You don't need to have your hand held every step of the way - everyone has the capacity to create what they want, as long as they try.
I still haven't perfected the art of creating human skin textures (they are difficult), but I still try all the time anyway, and I don't paint a few strokes of paint onto a digital canvas, and then ask someone what to do next. I look at what I've done, and I look at my references, and I get back to work.

Now, I know that you WANT to do this, so that's half the work done on your part - now you just need to sit down and start painting! And don't stop until it looks like a face you'd look at and go "wow" ;)

DADDYGOODY
07-18-2003, 12:09 AM
Thanks Leigh

ambient-whisper
07-20-2003, 03:37 AM
if you want to learn texturing then i suggest reading up this site

http://www.bobotheseal.com/tuts.htm

it has videos on how he uses photoshop to paint a texture.. and hes also got a written tutorial on there too.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.