PDA

View Full Version : lightwave newbie

lou.cifer
07-17-2003, 04:01 PM
Hi all. I am new to lightwave. I have been using Max for a while. Is there a way to select the edge of a poly, like in max? In LW, I can only select a face or verts(points). I'm havin some trouble with thier interface. Thanks for any help.

sensai2nd
07-17-2003, 04:17 PM
Nope . . . LW doesn't natively support edges. However, you can get a sweet plugin called "EdgeTools" over at Flay.com, which'll suit your needs just fine . . .

terryford
07-17-2003, 04:20 PM
No edges in LightWave. What are you trying to do with the edge? Try searching for "edge" on Flay.com, there's probably a tool to do what you want;

http://www.flay.com/getentry.cfm

Regards,
Terry

JuggleNuts
07-17-2003, 06:34 PM
lou.cifer I would suggest registering at www.3dbuzz.com and look in their downloads section. They have 9 free lighwave videos you can grab, and it covers all the basics over lightwave (going through the interface, some terminology, etc). It's really quite good for beginners to LW.

lou.cifer
07-17-2003, 08:27 PM
Thanks for all your quick responses. In Max, I have a way of modeling that fits me well. I start with a single plane and shift drag an edge to make polys. It seems slow, but I find it easier than splines or box modeling.

robinson
07-17-2003, 08:46 PM
you should try extender, or better search for extender at flay.com, "these extra script are better than the standard," that's the same way !!!
Check out a few modeling tutorials, you will discover all the great modeling tools in Lightwave very fast !!! :thumbsup:

lou.cifer
07-17-2003, 09:11 PM
I tried extender,and is seems like it works, but after I extend an edge, I get polys on both sides. As for edge tool on Flay, I dont know how to install it because I cant read the instructions.

terryford
07-17-2003, 10:01 PM
Get this one, FI's_OEXtender;

http://www.infoseek.livedoor.com/~f_ichikawa/index2.html

You shoule be able to get the LW documentation in pdf format from NewTek's site, there's also a html help file that's worth getting.
I don't have the links handy but they should be easy to find...

Regards,
Terry

tejani
07-17-2003, 10:18 PM
hey ekram(lou cifer)
i think u are m.ekram
have u decided to reurn to lightwave again
i think 3dbuzz
is great

lou.cifer
07-18-2003, 12:31 AM
I downloaded those plugins. But how do I install them? I copy the plugins into the "plugins" directory in lightwave. Then I go to MODLER>ADD PLUGINS. It brings up the selected plug in, but after that, I can't find it on any of the menus. HELP!

P.S. Sorry tejani, but I am not ekram.

Steve Warner
07-18-2003, 12:34 AM
You'll find them in the Construct --> Additional menu. If you want them on a button, you'll need to assign them manually. :)

Cheers!

Steve

lou.cifer
07-18-2003, 02:27 AM
Great! It worked! Thanks ! I am using the FL's OEXtender Plugin, Which is doing what I want it to do, but I noticed that I have to weld the points every time I extend. It is a pain. Any suggestions???

Steve Warner
07-18-2003, 05:18 AM
I haven't used Fi's OEXtender. But you shouldn't have to be welding after each extend. If you're just getting multiple points which occupy the same place in space, then use the Merge tool. It's like an automatic weld. If that's not it, try utilizing one of the other Extenders, such as David Ikeda's Extender (PC Only) (http://www.davidikeda.com/).

Hope this helps!

Steve

SplineGod
07-18-2003, 09:26 AM
He Lou,
I have some free tuts you can take a look at HERE (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/support/sampler.htm)

lou.cifer
07-18-2003, 04:53 PM
Wow! Thanks for the tuts page Spline God. And thanks Steve for your help, as well as all who helped. I like knowing that LW has such a big user base and everyone is willing to lend some expierience to a newbie. Thanks everyone!

SplineGod
07-18-2003, 10:37 PM
Hey Lou,
Youre more then welcome. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.