07-17-2003, 02:45 PM
Old name new logo.

http://www.alias.com

http://www.alias.com/eng/tmpl/img/logo_nodivider.gif

show
07-17-2003, 02:52 PM
Alias|Wavefront Celebrates 20th Anniversary and Announces Name Change to Alias
Press Release Link
http://www.alias.com/eng/press/press_releases/20030717_alias_wavefront_celebrates_20_anniversary.shtml

alphatron
07-17-2003, 03:20 PM
They added 150 tutorial movies as well with more to come it seems. The community section is quite nice now.

Not too impressed with the new logo design though.

meats
07-17-2003, 03:50 PM
Cool!
I always thought that the Alias/Wavefront name was a little bulky.
The new site does look a lot more functional..:thumbsup:

halo
07-17-2003, 04:38 PM
well thats gotta be the most dissapointing POS logo design i've seen for a long time....looks like a shite cross between newtek and avid...

sad isnt it when one of the largest and prevailent companies cant see past that...

im giving odd's of 1/10 that it was designed by commitee

alphatron
07-17-2003, 04:39 PM
And run through a focus group :)

BeeVee
07-17-2003, 04:43 PM
Tried clicking on the big community link at the top of the page only to get a 404...

B

ambient-whisper
07-17-2003, 04:43 PM
heh. kinda seen this comming from a mile away.
merge with em, aquire the technology.. add it to product.
close office, with pretty much all original wavefront guys gone..
change name back to alias.
while the other name was bulky.. i liked the sound of the last one more. :/

SheepFactory
07-17-2003, 04:45 PM
lol halo , i second that.

here is the story from the website:

20th Anniversary Celebrations – The Alias® Logo Story

The logo is comprised of ‘the swirl’, ‘the globe’ and the new company name. The swirl speaks to two themes - movement and imagination. As a company which revolutionized the art of computer graphics, the concept of “movement” brings together the company’s technical development momentum with its history in visualization, design and animation. The concept of “imagination” embodies the essence of Alias and our customers – an endless supply of imagination to create the most exciting imagery in the world.

The globe speaks not only to the global nature of Alias as a business, but also to the global nature of visual communication. In today’s global marketplace, the adage “a picture is worth a thousand words” has never been more true.

alphatron
07-17-2003, 04:45 PM
The new content on the site is is quite nice though. New tutorials and videos. If only the links to the movies worked though :(

tjnyc
07-17-2003, 05:05 PM
"1991 - Alias taps the Macintosh market
Alias gets the opportunity to purchase the Spacemaker technology and launches UpFront, a low-cost 3D Mac and Windows based package for architects. Alias achieves a major coup by impressing Bill Gates, who mentions UpFront during a major Microsoft conference as a particularly innovative application under Windows. "In the graphics area, I picked UpFront from Alias Research. It is really an incredible tool for making sure the design is exactly right," says the Chairman of Microsoft. This project would pave the way for the development of Sketch!, positioned as a tool for graphic artists who wanted to do more realistic 3D work than could be done with Adobe Illustrator. "

Man, I still have Alias Sketch! How many people remember that program for the Mac. It was my first foray into 3D and what an amazing 3D program is was.

Per-Anders
07-17-2003, 06:16 PM
you know why the new logo don't you?

The tatoo market.

Cod
07-17-2003, 07:37 PM
Bought time they cut that name down.

Signal2Noise
07-17-2003, 08:02 PM
I dunno. The logo and lettering style is cool. Over time we'll get use to it.

I always thought "ALIAS|WAVEFRONT" looked and sounded sophisticated, tho'.:shrug:

Fudzy
07-17-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by BeeVee
Tried clicking on the big community link at the top of the page only to get a 404...

B The Community link is working now.

onlooker
07-17-2003, 09:19 PM
Ok, I like the long name much better. Sophisticated is a good choice of words because I believe that was the impression I got when I first heard it. Good call.

THe logo is fine by me. But what THe h3ll do I know. I cant figure WTF that LightWave logo is all about either.:wavey:

madmanmagic
07-17-2003, 09:42 PM
from http://www.merriamwebster.com

alias :otherwise known as
ma·ya :ILLUSION

So when people ask me what software I am using I say:
1) Alias Maya
2) otherwise known as: illusion

My vote would be to call the whole company Maya!

rock
07-17-2003, 10:29 PM
Now I am not sure if we are talking about the tv show or the company. ALIAS.

Signal2Noise
07-17-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by rock
Now I am not sure if we are talking about the tv show or the company. ALIAS.

Now, if a living clone of Jennifer Garner is included with every copy of Maya I'm for it!:drool:

eYadNesS
07-17-2003, 10:45 PM
One thing is good by this change, Alias website is better...
You can understand what in the site lol

onlooker
07-18-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by eYadNesS
One thing is good by this change, Alias website is better...
You can understand what in the site lol

Actually I'm not all that big on the site redesign. I saw it this morning before I heard about the change, and found it pretty difficult to get to the forums, and the old tutorial pages. I actually don't think I ever got to either of them.

dmeyer
07-18-2003, 12:18 AM
Is it just me or does the left side of the swirl seem poorly drawn? A bit of a kink in it.

I'm not to fond of it myself, but damn i wish those flash videos were there when i was starting out.

RentaLLMay
07-18-2003, 12:31 AM
uhmm,
where have the good old "How To"´s gone?

matty429
07-18-2003, 01:21 AM
The New Name Of Maya is....

M.

halo
07-18-2003, 01:28 AM
sheep factory...we really have to stop agreeing on things...thats twice its happened now !:p ;)

that piece you found is genius...pure PR speak...bet the author sat down and gave themself a self congratulatory pat on the back, then rollerskated off down the hallway giving out copies for all to read so they were "on message"...

probably the sort of person who never sees people giving them the w~~ker sign, only that people seem to always be drying their fingernails alot whenever they're around...

PR people...dont you just love em?

-=TF=-
07-18-2003, 01:39 AM
I like the maya live with integrated fur most :scream:

http://www.alias.com/eng/products-services/maya/technical_features/maya_live_matchmoving/index.shtml

madmanmagic
07-18-2003, 01:51 AM
What was at alias.com prior to this?

I like the old site better, not because it was old, because it was better.

But Flash Tutorials rule!!

Way to go A|W, um sorry, A|M!

ambient-whisper
07-18-2003, 02:13 AM
well. atleast one good thing became of this change. :) no longer will i think people are talking about me when they say "aw" :)
teehee.

tjnyc
07-18-2003, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by Signal to Noise
Now, if a living clone of Jennifer Garner is included with every copy of Maya I'm for it!:drool:

I believe that will be a feature in the next version, but of course you will need to be on Maintenance.

DaJuice
07-18-2003, 03:06 AM
Heh, that logo reminds me of this...

http://www.vi2.com/getFile/215820.gif

gmask
07-18-2003, 03:08 AM
They should have had a contest! get down with the users!

GRMac13
07-18-2003, 05:14 AM
From the website:

"As a kick-off to celebrate this momentous occasion, Alias officially changed its name to Alias on July 17th, 2003."

Shouldn't it be "Alias|Wavefront officially changed it's name back to Alias on July 17, 2003."?

Maybe they want people to forget thier name ever included the word "wavefront."

Nocturn
07-18-2003, 06:35 AM
Funny that the whois record says as registrant: Alias Wavefront hehe...
Record created 9th sep 2002. Wonder how much they payed for alias.com.

The logo looks all wrong I think, the motivation about it is just as cheesy. There's no elegance or flair to it, or even some witty play with shapes. On top of that it's badly drawn....

Peter Reynolds
07-18-2003, 07:45 AM
I just wish they spent this time, effort and $$$ on Maya development, instead of this "80's look" marketing makeover.

jschleifer
07-18-2003, 09:19 AM
devistating from an ex-alias|wavefront santa barbara guy's view.. but whatever, we've seen this coming for a while.

I think they should have named it "|", pronounced "peep" :)

-jason

Fudzy
07-18-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by RentaLLMay
uhmm,
where have the good old "How To"´s gone? They're on the Community page.

To get there from the Alias home page, click on the "Community" button. On the left side of the Community page -- below the Alias logo -- you'll see a subhead called "Browse." The fourth selection below that is "Tutorials." Click on Tutorials and you're in "How To."

RentaLLMay
07-18-2003, 02:51 PM
thanks Fudzy,

i knew those already.
But there are only 4 How To´s.
There used to be dozens of them
although some where a bit outdated they still provided the users with lots of usefull infos
I guess (hope) they will bring them back (maybe in a new form, perhaps as movies like the 4 that are there already)

tredeger
07-18-2003, 06:24 PM
This marketing|rebranding crap is all just too darn funny to ignore. So we're all going to spend wayyyyy to much time on it.

The new logo is the bastard child of the Lightwave and Lucent logos. And that Alien3 reference was hilarious. Funniest thing I saw all day. I haven't read a single positive thing about that piece of sh|te logo anywhere.

Re-branding is hilarious--Silicon Graphics Inc at one point officially rebranded themselves as SGI and changed the logo, etc. It was silly since everyone always said SGI anyway, but marketing wanted it to be a big deal. A silver bullet to stem the tide of the dot com implosion and the mass migration to the PC--change your moniker to the nickname that everyone already uses. A resounding yawn from the public at large. And now SGI can't make up their mind about their name or their logo.

Sad to see the official demise of the Wavefront heritage. A|W was never a pricewaterhousecoopers anyway. I miss Thompson Digital now.

A few years back there was a press release that read:
Macromedia and Alaire are merging. The name of the new company will be Macromedia.

It just took Alias a little longer.

Glad to know those awful flash movies will appeal to some people but good lord, the opportunity cost to develop a better product...

And the new website is much cooler looking than the old one *at the expense of usability and utility*. Way to go.

So, I've seen nothing but negative feedback on the changes (much of which admitedly is my own ;-)

That being the case, A|W, erm A| has the opportunity to demonstrate its repsonsiveness to its customers and scrap that ugly cliche that doesn't even work with the typeface they are using for "Alias" at all.

alphatron
07-18-2003, 06:44 PM
I personally don't find those flash movies "awful*, I find them helpful.

I also find the new design to be more organized, especially the community section.

thomaspecht
07-18-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by tredeger
Re-branding is hilarious--Silicon Graphics Inc at one point officially rebranded themselves as SGI and changed the logo, etc. It was silly since everyone always said SGI anyway, but marketing wanted it to be a big deal. A silver bullet to stem the tide of the dot com implosion and the mass migration to the PC--change your moniker to the nickname that everyone already uses. A resounding yawn from the public at large. And now SGI can't make up their mind about their name or their logo.

funny thing that they now started to re-introduce their old cube-logo again and mix it with the new stuff they had come up with a few years ago.

mirkoj
07-19-2003, 12:44 AM
alias or aliaswavefront... who cares after all, as long as Maya stays Maya :)

gmask
07-19-2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by mirkoj
alias or aliaswavefront... who cares after all, as long as Maya stays Maya :)

I heard they were going to change the name to Advanced Visualizer :scream:

mirkoj
07-19-2003, 01:07 AM
noooooooooooo!!!! :banghead:
STRIKE! STRIKE! STRIKE!

:)))))

dmaas
07-19-2003, 07:38 AM
Now here's the weird part... Isn't aliasing usually considered a bad thing in computer graphics? It's like naming an airline "CrashWays"...

Flamz
07-19-2003, 06:27 PM
Man.. that logo looks like crap.

oh..and the jokes we will be able to come up with now:

"hey! Where is the anti-alias option in Maya??... "
"err, It's gone. Also, Alias's marketing dept. has asked the graphics community to never say that word again."

I dont like to prononce Alias, especially when I have to put an "s" after.. Alias'ss, Aliases.. Ali asses? arg.

NUKE-CG
07-20-2003, 04:45 PM
The logo is fine, nothing amazing.. but it does the job..

I also think Alias is a fine name, they could have done a 180, and gave it some flash, futuristic label, but they kept it simple, and retained the keystone.

And.. the web site is MUCH better than the previous version (minus the forums, phpBB/vB are much better, they should make the change).

Good all round I say.

Next press release.. Maya 5.5/6 :beer:

FloydBishop
07-20-2003, 07:54 PM
Does this mean that my red "Alias|Wavefront" button down short sleeved shirt with an extra button hole is now a collector's item?

Day-Dreamer
07-20-2003, 09:54 PM
I can't find the link.:hmm:
anyone know mirror link of mental ray?

candlelighting
07-21-2003, 05:09 AM
The new logo is fine
:applause: :applause:

tjnyc
07-23-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Floyd Bishop
Does this mean that my red "Alias|Wavefront" button down short sleeved shirt with an extra button hole is now a collector's item?

Sorry my friend, I think it means garage sale on A|W shirts.;)

mattregnier
07-23-2003, 05:16 PM
So are we now going to see Discreet go more hip, like 'Dis' or 'Creet' :D or possibly just drop 3dsmax and just call it 'Dis 3D softwares yo!'

Jimzip
07-24-2003, 12:59 AM
heh heh.. I don't think they should have changed the name at all. Alias|Wavefront was such a well known, good name..

Jimzip disapproves. :thumbsdow

but Jimzip doesn't want to badmouth million $ companies.. :rolleyes:

I'll just sit here quietly... Not liking the new name, and putting up useless posts.. :annoyed:

Jimzip :D

gmask
07-24-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Jimzip
heh heh.. I don't think they should have changed the name at all. Alias|Wavefront was such a well known, good name..

Jimzip disapproves. :thumbsdow

but Jimzip doesn't want to badmouth million $ companies.. :rolleyes:

I'll just sit here quietly... Not liking the new name, and putting up useless posts.. :annoyed:

Jimzip :D

Yeah it's not like they have dumped all the technology from Wavefront.. sigh..

chudofsinister
07-24-2003, 03:02 AM
I dont see where there are "150" tutorials, I see like 6. Is there more how to's somewhere else.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.