PDA

View Full Version : SCAD vs. ETSU

Stuckinaboxthere
05-12-2009, 02:33 AM
I am a soon-to-be animation major at either of these schools, problem is, I can't decide on which has better benefits. On one hand SCAD has a reputation for a fantastic education, but is extravagantly expensive, but on the other hand, ETSU does not have nearly as much acclaim but is far more affordable. there have been other schools as well such as AAU and Ringling. The only thing that sets these apart is the cost, I would much prefer to go to SCAD than others. I would love to hear what you all think is the solution and your opinions on the price differences of the schools.

Hyjaxe
05-20-2009, 05:06 AM
I am currently a student in their animation program and ETSU is a joke. If you take a look at the coursework, they litter it with so much garbarge.

Their instructors are no short of being complete failure, help is very minimal and you will find that teaching yourself is the best route to go.

I'd prefer to try the various workshops they advertise on here, as you can get help through actual professionals in the industry. ETSU does not have this.

takoayako
05-20-2009, 05:14 AM
I do not recommend ETSU to anyone, it's a joke. You do projects every two weeks and the professors don't really teach you. They "guide" you in a "direction". Everyone gets A's or B's, even the people who barely touched the assignment get an 85. Critiques are an even bigger joke. They just sit around and talk about it, they don't critique it. No one really improved through critiques. It was just a wasted class day.

ETSU IS cheaper, but there are no benefits that make going there worthwhile. Save yourself the trouble and don't bother going to ETSU. Everyone here just thinks they're the shit and are a part of a stupid ass club that just sits around and soaks up each other's "awesomness".

If you actually want to learn something worthwhile, don't even bother going to ETSU. You'll just waste lots of money (because of the stupid digital media fees) and time. This school stinks.

Ingsoc75
05-20-2009, 02:30 PM
I went to SCAD in the late 1990's. We used to call it SCAM (Savannah College of Art and Money). ;)

It had good resources for CG back then, so I'm sure it is much better facilities now.

Just make sure you don't have a phobia of cockroaches, because Savannah is one big roach motel.

KlockWorks
05-20-2009, 03:06 PM
I go to SCAD now, it is still very expensive but the programs are much more fleshed out. SCAD has one of the better animation programs out there right now.

As to the roaches, SCAD does a good job on campus of keeping it roach clean... The rest of Savannah... Hit and miss.

Stuckinaboxthere
05-20-2009, 07:51 PM
Thank you all for replying and helping me, I think I've pretty much made up my mind on going to SCAD, I'm just going to drown myself in debt and hopefully I can pay it off eventually

CGTalk Moderation
05-20-2009, 07:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.