PDA

View Full Version : Big Idea up for sale...

FloydBishop
07-17-2003, 06:33 AM
Big Idea for Sale

Big Idea CEO and chief creative officer Phil Vischer told Christian Retailing in an exclusive interview July 9...

Read more:

http://animated-movies.squareworld.com/News.html

http://www.christianretailing.com/article.php?sid=251

http://www.cedarview.on.ca/Home/LINKS/bobnlarry2.gif

ed209
07-17-2003, 07:45 AM
How the mighty have fallen. It's a shame that Big Idea bit off more then they could chew with Johna. Really makes you wonder how many more studios may fall victim to this with all the new CG features being developed. I'm sure the bigger studio's will be fine but a few smaller places are really pushing for films.

Array
07-17-2003, 09:28 AM
Good riddance! That company treated it's employees like crap :annoyed:

flipnap
07-17-2003, 12:25 PM
you wanna back that up..

ggg
07-17-2003, 03:52 PM
I can back it up, but "good riddance".

regarding the article:
values? :rolleyes:

flipnap
07-17-2003, 03:53 PM
at least explain why "good riddance"? Like is it a personal thing against them, the project, do you think there are just too many CG companies, did you think the animation sucked.. i mean what is it.. and the back it up thing was because the previous poster said they treated their employees like crap.. and i was just curious if he/she knew someone from there or what

Chapt0r
07-17-2003, 03:56 PM
I am in the same area and have heard the same that they did not treat the employee's very well at all. But alas = I have no official/personal dealings with this. :hmm:

BRUTICUS
07-17-2003, 07:00 PM
I thought they were just bought out by some Canadian company recently,..

FloydBishop
07-17-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by BRUTICUS
I thought they were just bought out by some Canadian company recently,..

I think what happened was that their animation was outsourced to Canada.

With no in house animation staff, it's kind of like buying a new DVD player on Canal Street in NYC.

Array
07-17-2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by flipnap
at least explain why "good riddance"? Like is it a personal thing against them, the project, do you think there are just too many CG companies, did you think the animation sucked.. i mean what is it.. and the back it up thing was because the previous poster said they treated their employees like crap.. and i was just curious if he/she knew someone from there or what

They fired all of their employees and outsourced to Canada. :thumbsdow

Not that I have anything against Canadians, but they really screwed the people who helped them become what they were.

Signal2Noise
07-17-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Array
Not that I have anything against Canadians, but they really screwed the people who helped them become what they were.

It's our fresh air and back bacon that has that effect on people, eh.:hmm:

baldybaby
07-17-2003, 11:42 PM
Array - you think they treated their employees like crap because they outsourced work?

A small minded morons view and a typical attitude from employees who are out the loop , who are unwilling to appreciate how hard it might be to be a manager or an owner of a company and keep a company afloat!

Most employees think they can do better....well maybe they could but noone will ever know as most dont have the brains to pull of what these guys have.

THeres no such thing as permament employment so why complain. Move on...calm with the bitterness.

BB

gmask
07-17-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by baldybaby
Array - you think they treated their employees like crap because they outsourced work?

They treated them like crap because they probably worked their asses off and in the end lost their jobs. So even though I know it's difficult to run a business I also know that the success of the business is about management and motivation.

Mondo Media became a huge successful company but when their employees started to get paid too much they fired all of them and hired cheaper less experienced workers and then they kind of went of the map for several years.. was that sound management?

I was laid off by my last fulltime employer and when I filled for unemployment he tried to claim I had quit. I wasn't hard to convince the judge that this wasn't the case though but the whole process was unnerving and distressing. I could have done without that.

There just really is no pleasant end this kind of relationships.. but maybe if they had given their employees severances are partial ownership in the company then it would be more amiable.

Ckerr812
07-18-2003, 12:22 AM
Please, all this Bullshit in the thread makes people laugh, has nothing to do with Canada, has nothing to do with Managment.

The movie tanked, and it tanked big time they lost a shit load of money....Maybe if you come back down to reality, someone has to pay for the lose of that stinker of a movie they made, and it was the artists. In a perfect world, you can make crap, and get paid for it, this isn't a perfect world. Anybody in the industry knows your only as good as your last project....they gambled on that movie...they lost....simple as that....no sense in whining and complaining about it.

FClub_TDurden
07-18-2003, 04:40 AM
"someone has to pay for the lose of that stinker of a movie they made, and it was the artists"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man I cant belive you believe that statement.....thats crazy blaming talented artists for the movie....they arent the ones deciding the story or look...they are just told what to execute and if thats crap....then its not there fault.....believe me I know what I talk about .....I had a similar experience at my last job and unfortunatley the people who left BigIdea and didnt goto BlueSky or Dreamworks are now stuck at my old place and I feel for them.....

Most of the talented artists from there did go onto A caliber companies though...so you know it wasnt there fault.....

flipnap
07-18-2003, 10:07 AM
Nice.. i can really appreciate these responses

They treated them like crap because they probably worked their asses off and in the end lost their jobs

Probably? listen if you owned a company and everyone worked their asses off, but the company suddenly had no more money.. would you sell your house and your car to pay your employees?

I never heard anyone say crap about ILM when it closed its commercial division?

They fired all of their employees and outsourced to Canada.

And you think this was done out of spite? Like one day, they jjust decided to do that.. just because? Running a business is a hard, hard thing to do and so are the decisions one makes to keep that business alive..

The movie tanked, and it tanked big time they lost a shit load of money....Maybe if you come back down to reality, someone has to pay for the lose of that stinker of a movie they made, and it was the artists. In a perfect world, you can make crap, and get paid for it, this isn't a perfect world. Anybody in the industry knows your only as good as your last project....they gambled on that movie...they lost....simple as that....no sense in whining and complaining about it.

I usually dont personally attack people, but this is the stupidest thing ive read in a long time.. How old are you? The movie did not tank. the problem is that it was fully funded internally so as to maintain the integrity of the film and not have suits calling all the shots.. did you know that? thats why they went broke and had to can the people.. And you think that movie was crap? I thought it was pretty well done and entertaining. Im sure all the people at BIP that worked on that film really appreciate your comments about the film being crap.. well put.. by the way, do you work at burger king or mickey D's? Because your empathy spouts like a veteren but reeks of inexperience

takkun
07-18-2003, 10:47 AM
The movie didn't really tank. It cost 15 million to make and returned 25 million from theatre sales, there's other sources of expenses and earnings that I didn't take into consideration but from these box office numbers you can see that it made a profit, albeit a very small profit as movies go.

RichSuchy
07-18-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Ckerr812
Please, all this Bullshit in the thread makes people laugh, has nothing to do with Canada, has nothing to do with Managment.

My 1 and 2 year old love that movie, and my 9 year old daughter has been seen sitting though it on occasion. The on eyear old likes to dance to it.

I'll even admit to laughing once or twice.

It was a great buy to keep them occupied and beets the hell out of Barney.

Ckerr812
07-18-2003, 01:44 PM
FClub_TDurden - Never said the artists weren't good, but something has to get cut from the budget.

flipnap - If you have a brain in your head you would realize, I have talked to many of the artists at Big Idea, Hell I went to school with one...and what I said was very true. Luckly I work for a big company, so my job is very secure, anybody knows that works in a small studio, that job security is not the best. Movie sucked....so go have a beer and accept it.

Rich Suchy - Not really, my little niece and nefews couldn't stand to watch that movie for more then 2 minutes, they wanted to see Dora the explorer instead.....and probably so did millions of others.....No body wants to be preached to all the time, like veggie tales did in thier shows.

flipnap
07-18-2003, 01:49 PM
flipnap - If you have a brain in your head you would realize, I have talked to many of the artists at Big Idea, Hell I went to school with one

And I was supposed to deduce that from what?

Movie sucked....so go have a beer and accept it.

umm.. okay:curious:

Chewey
07-18-2003, 01:53 PM

snip...

..No body wants to be preached to all the time, like veggie tales did in thier shows.

Now we understand what your problem has been all along.

:thumbsdow

Ckerr812
07-18-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by flipnap
And I was supposed to deduce that from what?
umm.. okay:curious:

It's cool, I respect the opinions of people, even if it's not what I think is true. There is never a need to attack someone, unless you have very low self esteem (which speaks volumes in itself).

Chewey
07-18-2003, 03:34 PM
It's cool, I respect the opinions of people, even if it's not what I think is true. There is never a need to attack someone, unless you have very low self esteem (which speaks volumes in itself).

Good technique with that talking out of both sides of your mouth!
:rolleyes:

flipnap
07-18-2003, 03:41 PM
and im still looking in your original post for where i was supposed to know you had a friend in BIP.. Im really not trying to start a fight here, but according to you if i had a brain i shouldve known that.. I just cant find it..

But with these two quotes i can surmise where this thread will end up.. in circles

flipnap - If you have a brain in your head you would realize....

followed by

There is never a need to attack someone, unless you have very low self esteem (which speaks volumes in itself).

okay, im outta here .. Peace out and be good.. looks like we gotta convoy..

RichSuchy
07-18-2003, 09:02 PM
Rich Suchy - Not really, my little niece and nefews couldn't stand to watch that movie for more then 2 minutes, they wanted to see Dora the explorer instead.....and probably so did millions of others.....No body wants to be preached to all the time, like veggie tales did in thier shows.

i found my last response too preachy so ive edited it down.

Im not religeous, but Im also not averse to hearing good advice when it is proferred.

bentllama
07-18-2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Signal to Noise
It's our fresh air and back bacon that has that effect on people, eh.:hmm:

www.realcanadianbacon.com

Matt Leishman
07-18-2003, 09:23 PM
ahhhhhh bent -

for a canadian living in america there is not a prettier sight!! Thank you for that oh so refreshing link.

Hey . . . everyone!!! Chill out and have some back bacon, it'll make all your worries go away . . .

:drool:

Neil
07-18-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by bentllama
www.realcanadianbacon.com

Damn, i didn't know that site was taken already!

RichSuchy
07-18-2003, 09:30 PM

In all likelyhood, they are used to Watching Dora at a specific time and didnt want to break thier ruteen. I bet if you play it after thier shows are over you couldnt pry them away from it especially durring the songs.

FloydBishop
07-18-2003, 10:33 PM
In an attempt to try and bring this back to the topic that started the thread: does anyone know what asking the price is?

:shrug:

slaughters
07-18-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by bentllama
www.realcanadianbacon.com I visited the link and the funny thing is that

1) They don't sell bacon

and

2) They are not in Canada ("...REAL Canadian Bacon Co. is a Michigan-based company")

gmask
07-18-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by slaughters
I visited the link and the funny thing is that

1) They don't sell bacon

and

2) They are not in Canada ("...REAL Canadian Bacon Co. is a Michigan-based company")

LOL.. reminds me of a friends band from Chicago that was called Honey Baked Torsos .. They were named after Honey Baked Hams which it think is based in Illinois but I'm not sure..close though.

sinistar
07-19-2003, 04:47 AM
or the fact that the reasons that the boxes McDonalds beef comes in says "100% Beef" is because that is the name of the company :hmm:

gmask
07-19-2003, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by sinistar
or the fact that the reasons that the boxes McDonalds beef comes in says "100% Beef" is because that is the name of the company :hmm:

Yeah but that's not as funny :p

sinistar
07-19-2003, 09:54 AM
actually, not funny at all :p

GRMac13
07-19-2003, 01:16 PM
mmmmm...bacon. :drool:

Maybe Canada's not so bad afterall. :shrug:

Neil
07-19-2003, 07:57 PM
Why didn't they just buy 'canadianbacon.com'? i guess the 'real' is important. :)

I thought the term "buy it now" was ebay specific, but apparently when it comes to shopping for meat now you also have to "buy it now!!". If you're that hungry, you still have to wait on the meat anyway...

Chewey
07-20-2003, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by GRMac13
mmmmm...bacon. :drool:

Maybe Canada's not so bad afterall. :shrug:

My friend, you go too far...

GRMac13
07-20-2003, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by Chewey

You're right, Chewy. The prospect of delicious back bacon made me lose my head for a second.

Screw those Canadians and thier maple-syruping ways!!!!

We should invade Canada, eh?

Steal all of thier precious back bacon and mayonaise.

Damn Canucks, and take your dern geese back too!

http://galeon.hispavista.com/chisteschiquito/nocanada.jpg

http://www.go2lanka.com/amopics/album/mv2.jpg

:shame:

Chewey
07-20-2003, 02:32 AM
Yeah, and don't forget some type of reparation/cleanup thingie for all that darn goose poop.

:eek:

mrZack
07-20-2003, 02:57 AM
the jonah story wasnt very appealing
yeah, way too big and didnt make much money
too bad, the emplyees there were good pple, and its a damn dman damn dman shame chicago lost this company.

midway games aint doing too well either

:banghead:

mrZack
07-20-2003, 02:58 AM
yeah, way too big and didnt make much money
too bad, the emplyees there were good pple, and its a damn dman damn dman shame chicago lost this company.

midway games aint doing too well either
:banghead:

Hookflash
07-20-2003, 03:38 AM

I guess he forgot about Quebec.

Hookflash
07-20-2003, 03:40 AM
The biggest problem I had with Big Idea was their religious beliefs. Basically, I think Christianity has done more harm to the world in general than any other... er... thing. Ever. The animation was good, though, and the humor was surprisingly effective. Oh well... Looks like even God can't save our economy;)

Hookflash
07-20-2003, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by mrZack

What, the idea of an aggressive, tempermental God on the brink of wiping out an entire city just because they don't worship him doesn't appeal to you? Jeez... Picky;). At least they didn't do "Noah"...

GRMac13
07-20-2003, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by Hookflash
Basically, I think Christianity has done more harm to the world in general than any other... er... thing. Ever.

Really?

More than Naziisim?

More than Communism?

More than Muslim Fundamentalistism?

More than Racism?

Please elaborate on the definition of "harm".

GRMac13
07-20-2003, 03:53 AM
The biggest problem I had with Big Idea was their religious beliefs.

IMO, that quote sums up where alot of "harm" comes from in this world. Nothing that Christianity preaches is "harmful." The only thing that's harmful is people who cannot tolerate others' beliefs' (or skin color, culture, ethinc background, etc.)

Except Canadians of course. They are just inherently bad. :p

Hookflash
07-20-2003, 04:01 AM
Really?

More than Naziisim?

More than Communism?

More than Muslim Fundamentalistism?

More than Racism?

Please elaborate on the definition of "harm".

GrMac13: None of the things you mentioned have had even a fraction of the impact on humankind that Christianity has had (and continues to have). Many of the more messed up aspects of Western culture (ie, intolerance, sexism, racism, fear of death, etc.) stem from conservative Christianity. Heck, entire civilizations have been wiped out or enslaved in the name of "God", and Christians applaud these acts. "They had the Lord's blessing, so it was ok". Think of all the hatred and false hope that is propagated by Biblical intolerance (especially Old Testament) and the lure of an afterlife. Children learn in Sunday school that God is willing to wipe out all of humanity if they become "too evil". They are also taught that their non-Christian friends are going to burn for all eternity in Hell if they don't do something to save them. I could go on, but I don't want to start a religious flame-war (no pun intended;)).

Chewey
07-20-2003, 04:01 AM
IMO, that quote sums up where alot of "harm" comes from in this world. Nothing that Christianity preaches is "harmful." The only thing that's harmful is people who cannot tolerate others' beliefs' (or skin color, culture, ethinc background, etc.)

Except Canadians of course. They are just inherently bad. :p

All one needs to do is view that "Red Green Show" to see how really bad they are. :scream:

Hookflash
07-20-2003, 04:03 AM
All one needs to do is view that "Red Green Show" to see how really bad they are. :scream:

No, no... We're much worse;).

Chewey
07-20-2003, 04:07 AM
GrMac13: None of the things you mentioned have had even a fraction of the impact on humankind that Christianity has had (and continues to have). Many of the more messed up aspects of Western culture (ie, intolerance, sexism, racism, fear of death, etc.) stem from conservative Christianity. Heck, entire civilizations have been wiped out or enslaved in the name of "God", and Christians applaud these acts. "They had the Lord's blessing, so it was ok". Think of all the hatred and false hope that is propagated by Biblical intolerance (especially Old Testament) and the lure of an afterlife. Children learn in Sunday school that God is willing to wipe out all of humanity if they become "too evil". They are also taught that their non-Christian friends are going to burn for all eternity in Hell if they don't do something to save them. I could go on, but I don't want to start a religious flame-war (no pun intended;)).

Obviously this confused toddler is referring to his "Canadian" verison of christianity.

Just another example to bolster GRMac's assertion that they(canadians) are just inherently bad. In this case we can add bitter to the mix.

GRMac13
07-20-2003, 04:09 AM

You're making the mistake of equating people's ignorance with thier religious beliefs. Although I agree that much of what you said is true, it's not the fault of Christianity itself. It's due to the fact that many people took the teachings of the Bible and applied them to thier own prejudices.

This is the reason why I said "Muslim Fundamentalism" rather than "Islam." Because I know that many Muslims are non-violent and do not share the fundamentalist attitude that all non-Muslims are inferior and should die.

There are many evils in the world attributed to "religion", but you can't blame the belief system, because if you truly understood it most mainstream religions preaches acceptance, forgiveness, and tolerance. The corruption of the world's religions is due to human ignorance and misunderstanding, not to the structure of the reilgion itself or it's belief system.

Hookflash
07-20-2003, 04:11 AM
Just another example to bloster GRMac's assertion that they(canadians) are just inherently bad.

Yes. Now he can "bloster" his assertion.:rolleyes: I'd be interested to hear your version of Christianity. Oh, wait... No, I wouldn't.

Chewey
07-20-2003, 04:18 AM
You're making the mistake of equating people's ignorance with thier religious beliefs. Although I agree that much of what you said is true, it's not the fault of Christianity itself. It's due to the fact that many people took the teachings of the Bible and applied them to thier own prejudices.

This is the reason why I said "Muslim Fundamentalism" rather than "Islam." Because I know that many Muslims are non-violent and do not share the fundamentalist attitude that all non-Muslims are inferior and should die.

There are many evils in the world attributed to "religion", but you can't blame the belief system, because if you truly understood it most mainstream religions preaches acceptance, forgiveness, and tolerance. The corruption of the world's religions is due to human ignorance and misunderstanding, not to the structure of the reilgion itself or it's belief system.

Well put. :thumbsup:
You probably hurt the kid with that one.

:scream:

Hookflash
07-20-2003, 04:18 AM
There are many evils in the world attributed to "religion", but you can't blame the belief system, because if you truly understood it most mainstream religions preaches acceptance, forgiveness, and tolerance. The corruption of the world's religions is due to human ignorance and misunderstanding, not to the structure of the reiliogn itself or it's belief system.

People love to argue that any evil acts motivated by strong religious beliefs are simply a misinterpretation of the religion. This is a very safe, tolerant (and occassionally true) view, but it just doesn't always hold up when you read the archaic religious texts people are supposedly misinterpreting. For example, both the Bible and the Quran make very specific assertions concerning the "superiority" of men over women. Also, the Bible very clearly teaches that Christians are going to Heaven, while non-Christians are going to Hell. Does this sound like a very tolerant view? Is it a misinterpretation? I won't even bother mentioning the whole Jihad fiasco...

EDIT: I do agree, however, that religious violence is sometimes (but not always!) caused by misinterpretation.

Hookflash
07-20-2003, 04:20 AM
Well put. :thumbsup:
You probably hurt the kid with that one.

We are having a discussion. I don't think either one of us is trying to "hurt" anyone. :curious:

Chewey
07-20-2003, 04:21 AM
People love to argue that any evil acts motivated by strong religious beliefs are simply a misinterpretation of the religion. This is a very safe, tolerant view, but it just doesn't hold up when you read the archaic religious texts people are supposedly misinterpreting. For example, both the Bible and the Quran make very specific assertions concerning the "superiority" of men over women. Also, the Bible very clearly teaches that Christians are going to Heaven, while non-Christians are going to Hell. Does this sound like a very tolerant view? Is it a misinterpretation? I won't even bother mentioning the whole Jihad fiasco...

Yep,GRMac13. You did hurt him. He's hanging on the ropes panting. Tell his corner to throw in the towel.

Hookflash
07-20-2003, 04:25 AM
Yep,GRMac13. You did hurt him. He's hanging on the ropes panting. Tell his corner to throw in the towel.

Hey, I have a great idea: Perhaps you should try saying something relevant to the discussion at hand, as opposed to sitting in the back throwing spitballs...?

Chewey
07-20-2003, 04:31 AM
Hey, I have a great idea: Perhaps you should try saying something relevant to the discussion at hand, as opposed to sitting in the back throwing spitballs...?

Bad idea.:thumbsdow

Look, he's down for the count! :scream:

Start counting...

GRMac13
07-20-2003, 04:33 AM
People love to argue that any evil acts motivated by strong religious beliefs are simply a misinterpretation of the religion. This is a very safe, tolerant (and occassionally true) view, but it just doesn't always hold up when you read the archaic religious texts people are supposedly misinterpreting. For example, both the Bible and the Quran make very specific assertions concerning the "superiority" of men over women. Also, the Bible very clearly teaches that Christians are going to Heaven, while non-Christians are going to Hell. Does this sound like a very tolerant view? Is it a misinterpretation? I won't even bother mentioning the whole Jihad fiasco...

EDIT: I do agree, however, that religious violence is sometimes (but not always!) caused by misinterpretation.

You just proved my point because you yourself are misinterpreting both religions. Nobody (except the aforementioned fundamentalists) take the writings in these texts as literal "guidebooks" of how to live thier daily lives. In fact, most of Christianity has adopted it's beliefs with the times (this includes women becoming priests, ministers, etc.). With the exception of Bible-Belt evangelists and thier followers, the beliefs you described are not shared by the majority of Christians in the world today.

GRMac13
07-20-2003, 04:35 AM
To get a bit back on topic, do you honestly believe that a bunch of cucumbers and tomatoes are really responsible for so much hate and intolerance in the world?

Chewey
07-20-2003, 04:37 AM
To get a bit back on topic, do you honestly believe that a bunch of cucumbers and tomatoes are really responsible for so much hate and intolerance in the world?

Not me. But if we were talking about celery, then...

GRMac13
07-20-2003, 04:42 AM
Not me. But if we were talking about celery, then...

Ah celery, aka "The Great Satan"

I bet The Veggie Tales crew was overrun by celery, thus resulting in thier demise. If only they would have left well enough alone and continued using strictly varieties of vegetable that have some sort of taste (and nutritional value) when you eat them.

Chewey
07-20-2003, 04:44 AM
Cost overruns caused by attempting to enhance the natural dullness of celery with additives like peanut butter and the like could have been part of the problem.

:eek: :hmm: :eek:

Hookflash
07-20-2003, 04:44 AM
GRMac13: Ok, let me clarify then. Many religious texts teach intolerance, sexism, etc. when taken literally. We are obviously not talking about the same Christianity here. You are talking about the new-age, modernized, wish-washy version that many people practice nowadays. I am talking about the conservative, literal, Biblical version that others practice, and these people do treat the Bible as a literal "guidebook" (just like fundamentalist muslims & the quran). I don't see how anyone can fault these "fundamentalists" for assuming a literal interpretation of their religious text (which is, after all, the basis of their religion).

Hookflash
07-20-2003, 04:45 AM

Well, when you put it that way... :blush:

;)

Chewey
07-20-2003, 04:48 AM
blah blah blah blah blah....

Anyway, maybe the fact that celery is part of the "Holy Trinity" of cooking (i.e. onions, celery, garlic) that got them off track and confused. Must have been a canadian in their mix of employees that gave them that Big "Dumb" Idea.

:hmm:

GRMac13
07-20-2003, 04:48 AM
GRMac13: Ok, let me clarify then. Many religious texts teach intolerance, sexism, etc. when taken literally. We are obviously not talking about the same Christianity here. You are talking about the new-age, modernized, wish-washy version that many people practice nowadays. I am talking about the conservative, literal, Biblical version that others practice, and these people do treat the Bible as a literal "guidebook" (just like fundamentalist muslims & the quran). I don't see how anyone can fault these "fundamentalists" for assuming a literal interpretation of their religious text (which is, after all, the basis of their religion).

That's very *ahem* Canadian of you.

:wavey:

GRMac13
07-20-2003, 04:51 AM
blah blah blah blah blah....

Anyway, maybe the fact that celery is part of the "Holy Trinity" of cooking (i.e. onions, celery, garlic) that got them off track and confused. Must have been a canadian in their mix of employees that gave them that Big "Dumb" Idea.

:hmm:

Yea I heard that same Canook employee also played with the idea of drowning Bob the Tomato in a vat of maple syrup.

:D

Chewey
07-20-2003, 04:54 AM
Yea I heard that same Canook employee also played with the idea of drowning Bob the Tomato in a vat of maple syrup.

Wow, real friendly...
Now I see why they don't let them own guns up there.
:annoyed:

Hookflash
07-20-2003, 04:58 AM
That's very *ahem* Canadian of you.

:wavey:

Well, of coarse. It's Canadian Christianity. What did you think we were talking about? Every Sunday, we all trudge through the snow to our Church-igloos and share bacon while our lumber-jack/preacher delivers a mellow sermon punctuated with "eh"'s and "aboot"'s. Well, everyone except me. I'm Canada's sole atheist.;)

Ckerr812
07-20-2003, 03:25 PM
This thread is hilarious, even if it is just joking around and what not, it pretty much sums up why Americans are pretty much hated around the world, and when you watch american tv shows they wonder why...lol

Keep the ignorance going guys looks good on ya, even if it is just low brow humor :thumbsup:

Chewey
07-20-2003, 03:59 PM
This thread is hilarious, even if it is just joking around and what not, it pretty much sums up why Americans are pretty much hated around the world, and when you watch american tv shows they wonder why...lol

Keep the ignorance going guys looks good on ya, even if it is just low brow humor :thumbsup:

Stop picking on Hookflash!:annoyed:

Ckerr812
07-20-2003, 04:04 PM
Stop picking on Hookflash!:annoyed:

lol..HookFlash is cool, at least he has a sense a humor about the whole thing, most Canadians do.

We have too, being nieghbours with a country that has kids shooting people in thier schools, basketball players raping people, and husbands and wifes murdering each other.

GRMac13
07-20-2003, 04:15 PM
lol..HookFlash is cool, at least he has a sense a humor about the whole thing, most Canadians do.

We have too, being nieghbours with a country that has kids shooting people in thier schools, basketball players raping people, and husbands and wifes murdering each other.

All of the things you described are caused by the unbearable stench of moose and geese feces drifting downwind from the North. Which is only slightly less disturbing than the steady stream of jihad-crazed loonies drifting in from the same place.

Maybe it's "aboot" time our great northern neighbor (who defiantly spells the word "neighbour") would invest in teaching thier border patrol to dismount their horsies and actually do their jobs, we wouldn't be in such a predicament.

eh?

EH?

Argh!

slaughters
07-20-2003, 04:21 PM
...it pretty much sums up why Americans are pretty much hated around the world Americans are hated around the world. Americans are loved around the world. Americans are ignored around the world.

The trick is in the percentages.

Logic:

Many religious movies make tons of money ("Prince of Egypt", "Ten Commandments"). So, just because the movie and company which made it have a religious theme has absolutly nothing to do about why the company is in trouble. From what I read there seems to have been two issues:

1) The first 1/3rd of the Jonha movie started out well, but then slowed down at the end and could not keep the attention span of its core audience (young children)

2) Even though the movie ended up making over $10 million in profit, Big Idea did not have enough money to distribute it to all of the theaters which had been advertising it. It sounds to me like if they had gotten some additional funding for the release they would have done better.

Great Satan Theory:

The evidence of what it does to my bowels does a lot enforce the theory that celery is the "Great Satan"

Ckerr812
07-20-2003, 04:27 PM
woo..I never said that movie was the reason Americans are hated around the world, rather the attitudes of the previous posts in this thread.

Yea..I totally agree with you slaughters, that those are two very good reasons the movie tanked, but I bet they all added up.

For the record here, when I said stinker of a movie, I meant finacially, not artisically. I have probably more of those episodes on tape then any of you, (and have sung that bahomoo moo song in my head after watching it..lol much to my shigrin).

Anyways, this thread is getting to opininated...I am out.

Chewey
07-20-2003, 04:46 PM
All of the things you described are caused by the unbearable stench of moose and geese feces drifting downwind from the North. Which is only slightly less disturbing than the steady stream of jihad-crazed loonies drifting in from the same place.

Maybe it's "aboot" time our great northern neighbor (who defiantly spells the word "neighbour") would invest in teaching thier border patrol to dismount their horsies and actually do their jobs, we wouldn't be in such a predicament.

eh?

EH?

Argh!

Amen brother! I consider our friends to the north simply Nay-bores.

Hell, I've come across one who can't even figure out how to use CGTalk's PM system. Probably has a can of tomato soup up his ass!!

Tom Wood
07-20-2003, 05:25 PM
Having grown up in the bible belt of the south (the land of hypocrisy) I'm about as unlikely an audience for VeggieTales as one could find. I rented it because I wanted to see how they animated the eyes and mouths. I was able to set aside my own prejudices against the story basis and ended up enjoying it okay. I'm all for compassion and forgiveness, even if Falwell, Robertson and company are not. :p

Speaking of those eyes. I understand how to animate an eyeblink over a spherical eye shape, but can someone point me toward a tutorial for making a simple eyeblink over an egg-shaped eye? I've seen the tutorials by the guy that used to work at Big Idea, and it's more complicated than I need. (The one where the eye and eyelid change shapes to get expressions.)

I thought about placing an egg shaped eyeball inside another egg-shaped eyelid layer, and just cutting away portions of the outer layer, but it's clumsy to animate.

Thanks,

TW

Edit: PS, I'm using Lightwave 7.5c and VT3.

crozonia
07-20-2003, 05:51 PM
Well, I don't use Lightwave but I'm sure the method is cross platform. The eyes and lids are spheres that stretched with a Lattice.
Jim

RichSuchy
07-20-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by crozonia
Well, I don't use Lightwave but I'm sure the method is cross platform. The eyes and lids are spheres that stretched with a Lattice.
Jim

Lightwave doesnt have latices, they would have had to animate a bone or two using Lightwave to get a similar effect.

lildragon
07-20-2003, 06:15 PM
http://www.cgtalk.com/policy.php

Thread closed.

salud