PDA

View Full Version : C studio vs Max Ik

gman
07-17-2003, 02:58 AM
Hey

I was looking for some opinions on which is the better option for character animation.

cheers

chrisdejoya
07-21-2003, 06:50 AM
CS is unbelievable easy to get started in. But after some use, I found it extremely limiting. I've dumped it for max IK since, for creature animation, but still go back to CS for a lot of human animation work.

Use both, what have you got to lose?

Haaibo
07-21-2003, 11:44 PM
like snofly said, cs is really easy to get started in........ but it is extremely limiting and extremely irritable. Not only that, but the default movemnts look rather daft :D so yeah thats how it goes

chrisdejoya
07-22-2003, 02:20 AM
You wanted opinions. Things you may like about Character Studio:

-the Physique method of skinning
-a solid human IK rig
-great anchoring for hands and feet
-limbs flex in a very natural way. secondary motions are a snap to make
-the ability to mirror postures from a limb to its opposite with two clicks of the mouse button
-animations can be saved out and loaded back in to work on any Character Studio rig, regardless of shape, size, or proportion. That means

you can animate confidently without even having a model ready!
-intuitive. you can concentrate on the aesthetics of your animation instead of worrying about the technicals.

I hate not being able to use the Curve Editor, and there doesn't seem to be any way to disable the IK for the head and hands when

manipulating the torso. The ease in/out is worth jack.

as for max IK:

-obviosly, the benefit of creating your own skeleton shapes. insects, quadrapeds, avians, robots with reverse knees, anything!
-you define bone rotation limits and IK goals yourself. again, flexibility.
-complete hookup with max's Wire Parameters. you can create some pretty elaborate and efficient rigs this way that you animate with sliders,

spinner boxes, handles, etc.

Setting up a rig can be a bit unpredictable at times, but you get through it.

In the end, you can take your bag of tricks from both methods and connect max IK bones to a Character Studio rig to do things like make a

four-armed monster or an angel with rigged wings. Go play around with them, everything you need to know is in the manuals.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.