PDA

View Full Version : What, no Los Angeles chapter?

evanschaible
05-09-2009, 04:39 AM
Well, why not start one?

if anyone is interested we can organize some meetings, maybe a conference or two. ALOT of potential for an LA chapter.

I don't know exactly how it works, but let me know if you are interested and we can use this thread to bounce around ideas.

Here are a few to start:

- at least one educational conference a year, with local artists to speak.
- a bi-monthly meeting to share ideas, network, and help members with solve problems.
- maybe a team project or two every year, or team participation in the forum challenges.
And anything you guys might like to consider.

- Evan

Dharroun
05-09-2009, 05:01 PM
I am surprised there arent more chapters worldwide?...I am from New Mexico and would like to start one up here.
After all...isnt CG society about the largest of its kind?

burp.

evanschaible
05-10-2009, 05:53 AM
I wouldnt mind leading one in LA, or even a Southern California district. I think that it could be very beneficial to the entire VFX community even worldwide to have some of the Southern California artist gather together a few times a year. I bet people would come from all over to hear speakers and see demos. We have some of the best artists in the world within a half hour from my front door...

So if you are reading this CGsociety, and think as I do, I would be willing to lead if you would be willing to support it with some marketing and adverts.

- Evan

CineSpeed
05-10-2009, 05:41 PM
Hi. I'm setting up a full studio in Santa Monica. I can possibly host and provide gear.

Pandaren117
05-11-2009, 01:03 AM
Would minors and highschool students be allowed to attend?

evanschaible
05-11-2009, 02:11 AM
Sure, I dont see why not. You would likely need parental consent and things like that, but there is no reason why not. I dont know whether or not I can just start a chapter, I would think I need the consent of the CGsociety and support in pushing it. I will have to wait and see what they say.

- Evan

Pandaren117
05-11-2009, 04:44 AM
I would really appreciate to be a part of something like this and learn with and from other professionals. Meeting the people, I think, would be awesome!

And since the minimum amount of member needed seems pretty ok, would I count as one?
This is MAKING ME EXCITED!

evanschaible
05-11-2009, 05:38 AM
Still waiting to hear from the society, I think it would be wonderful.

- Evan

evanschaible
05-11-2009, 09:40 PM
Cinespeed,

I didnt see your post until just now, that would be wonderful, but again, I am waiting to hear from the Society. I think it has great potential to be a great benefit to the VFX community.

- Evan

SoLiTuDe
05-11-2009, 10:12 PM
If I wasn't so busy working I might be interested. Until I win the lottery I doubt I'd be able to get involved. :D

khendar
05-12-2009, 01:06 AM
Starting up a Chapter is a big commitment, and so far very few groups have managed to set something up and keep it running. If you are serious about putting together something, shoot an email to me (t2@ballisticmedia.net) and we'll set something in motion. We don't check this forum very frequently which is why no one has gotten back to you sooner.

CGSChicago
05-12-2009, 07:34 AM
Ohh Yeah, It is a great deal of commitment! I can attest :eek:

It took Chicago about 5 months to get things set up, and we are really close to having our first meeting.

--Cheers

Marcus Kim, AIGA

Revitgnome
05-12-2009, 07:38 AM
Ohh Yeah, I can attest! Setting up a Chapter is a big commitment :eek:

It took Chicago about 5 months to get things set up with CGSociety, find a home for our meetings...and all the logistics! We are only now getting ready to host our first meeting.

Best of luck though! I would love to see sister chapters.

--Cheers

evanschaible
05-12-2009, 07:44 AM
Hey I would love to do it, I have plenty of time until I find a job. But hey, maybe when I find a job at a studio here we could use that place to have the meetings.

- Evan

Revitgnome
05-12-2009, 07:49 AM
I would hit up local design schools like the AI to host your meetings. Also, talk to similar organizations such as Adobe or Autodesk User Groups. They maybe able to point you in the right direction to get things started

--Cheers

Pandaren117
05-12-2009, 10:30 PM
Would there be any objections to getting highschool students interested in the LA chapter, such as spreading the word around through teachers and such? I think there's a lot of my fellow peers who would love to join you guys and learn.

evanschaible
05-12-2009, 10:54 PM
I think as long as they society members, or CGtalk members, and active in design it should be fine.

- Evan

evanschaible
05-14-2009, 08:38 PM
Hey guys,

I think we may need to muster up a little more support and interest. If you are interested please at least post here, just to show your support. I am thinking of places to contact already, like studios and schools. I mean, within an hour from my house there is Scanline, Hydraulx, Gnomon, Pasadena AI, ILM is a bit north, and tons of others. There is great possibility.

Anyhow, please post if you are even interested and are from anywhere in CA.

- Evan

Revitgnome
05-14-2009, 09:28 PM
Since my initial steps for getting the Chicago Chapter started, I am of the "Field of Dreams" philosophy...."Build it and they shall come!"

Good Luck. I want to see more US chapters! Don't leave Chicago hanging out by itself in the US.

--Cheers

Pandaren117
05-15-2009, 01:46 AM
How local are we talking about? I'm a bit a ways south of the LA city itself, so a weekday trip there would say take about an hour or so.

evanschaible
05-15-2009, 01:55 AM
I am thinking about the member themselves living probably anywhere in California, Nevada, and maybe even some other nearby states. Since from San Diego and San Francisco to LA is around and 8 hour drive anyhow, and from Las Vegas to LA is about the same, I figure why not include Nevada as well.

But when we have events there would be hotels and things like that lined up, so a weekend trip is not too unreal.

- Evan

FUG1T1VE
05-17-2009, 10:40 PM
id be interested in how it turns out. Im always at events out in LA anyhow. They are fun...

Pandaren117
05-18-2009, 05:25 AM
Educational wise, how open are we going to be and how are we going to go about it? I try to read tutorials and what not, but often, it seems that its missing something, like why instead of HOW, which I really need, and can we talk to more of the professional people, like evanschaible, for personal guidance or tips?

krogg9
05-18-2009, 01:38 PM
I'm interested. i plan on moving to la in one month and need to make contacts. i'll keep an eye on this thread to check the progress on the group. Thanks for getting this started.

evanschaible
05-23-2009, 02:43 AM
Well I received an email from the staff that said they were submitting my request to the person in charge who makes the decisions. That was about a week ago. I havent heard anything so I am not sure what they want me to do.

I cant imagine they would say no to all of us wanting to start a chapter, but hey, stranger things have happened.

khendar
05-24-2009, 08:07 AM
I would strongly recommend that you keep the Chapter limited in scope. LA itself will be a very large group, and if you start including SF, SD and Nevada then it will quickly become too large to manage. Start with LA, see how it progresses from there.

Evan, check your email :)

FUG1T1VE
05-31-2009, 06:54 AM
whats in the email. keep us posted.

evanschaible
05-31-2009, 07:01 AM
I have to describe how we want to approach and execute the chapter. I have been swamped this last couple of weeks, and the load is just getting bigger so any help from you guys would be great.

1. Where could we host conferences, meetings (these are a bit easier) and other events.

2. What would be our focuses?

3. Who would sponsor the chapter? Univeristies, studios, businesses, etc? Places like Gnomon, maybe some of the local post houses, and art institutes.

We have to have everything together in order to start it. So maybe if we work together we can really pull this think in quick.

Pandaren117
06-02-2009, 12:26 AM
I would like to suggest the Ontario Convention center. There's a convenient Marriott Hotel located nearby and it has a nice facility. Based on a previous trip there.

SoLiTuDe
06-06-2009, 05:34 AM
^I'm sure somewhere free might be a better choice. :D

evanschaible
06-06-2009, 06:00 AM
Maybe a few of us could get together via Skype conference or something like that, and discuss some options and ideas. With my current situation and workload I wont be able to do it by myself. I dont have a job at the moment, but I am doing some training development for Fume, and now PFlow Box 2.

Let me know maybe via email if you are interested in getting serious about starting, because I cant do it by myself.

- Evan

evanschaible
06-21-2009, 09:48 PM
Any ideas? I have been really busy as of late, but maybe we could collaborate a bit and see what we can come up with regarding hosts and places to have meetings. Let me know what you know...

- Evan

serma3d
07-06-2009, 12:29 AM
I am from Long Beach. I would like to support in creating the LA chapter. Let me know if I could do anything to help.

Serma

ejuliot
07-06-2009, 08:55 AM
EDIT: THIS IS EVAN, BUT MY WIFE WAS SIGNED IN AUTOMATICALLY SO I ACCIDENTLY POSTED UNDER HER NAME. SHE HAS DONT THAT WITH MY ACCOUNT NUMEROUS TIMES ON THE DAILY SKETCH THREAD AS WELL.

The thing that we need most desperately at this point is a place to host meetings (like a studio, university, or somewhere like that). I just finished a project, but am starting on directing a cinematic for a coming game and am going to be swamped. I likely wont have time to do very much besides just support and some organization for about 2 or 3 months. Plus I have to do some other stuff with a training series I am suppose to be doing...

In short, I have been swamped with work (little of it actually paid though) and just need some help and support with finding hosts. That would be great. Thank you for your interest.

- Evan

serma3d
07-07-2009, 04:39 AM
What about a park or the beach area where we can meet for the first time just to get to know one another. I think that is easy to set up.

Serma

CGTalk Moderation
07-07-2009, 04:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.