PDA

View Full Version : deinonychus

roguenroll
07-17-2003, 02:56 AM
deinonychus.

just finishing up on the modelling, fairly new to the orgnic stuff
so some lines may not be clean, but around the joints the sharper edges really lends to the tendon look.

anyway, im gonna shoot some live footage w/ my GL2, and comp
an animation. Going for a realistic jurassic / walk w. dino look.

should be a fun project.

crits/comments welcomed.

rogue

Steve Warner
07-17-2003, 03:24 AM
So far, so good! :thumbsup: Will you be animating this in LW or MB?

aurora
07-17-2003, 05:24 AM
Great start! He needs some more detail though especially on the head and along the spine. Please keep us updated I LOVE dino models.

Triple G
07-17-2003, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by Steve Warner
Will you be animating this in LW or MB?

I'm guessing MB, since I believe it was he and 3dDave who worked on that dino rig for MB. Looks pretty good so far, Rogue. I'd probably add a few more subdivisions in some spots like aurora mentioned. Should be really cool once you get him all textured up. :)

roguenroll
07-17-2003, 07:03 AM
the head is the last real part for some detailed modeling, then some tweaks to the whole thing.

I guess the question is when to say when on the modelling, I'd prefer to do some extensive modelling so the textures don't do all the work. but I've seen a few good examples where other dinos are basically smooth and the bump map does wonders.

I 'll go half and half. I'm having fun modeling anyway.

>

Yep, animate in motionbuilder, I'm spoiled now, what can I say.

The dino skeleton that originated from Daves biped skel, had this model in mind so now I'll hope to get them together and then to figure out the matchmoving process, to composition in my live footage.

Rogue

I'll post more when I get into the texturing.

RPG2006
07-17-2003, 03:05 PM
Rogue,

Am shitehawk at the rigging/anim side, but here are a few thoughts.

The neck looks wrong to me. A dinos head and neck are similar to a bird in that the neck runs into the back of the head rather than from underneath like in a human model. It's a great idea to have the flappage under the chin, but I would pull this area back in a bit. At the moment he looks abit topheavy.

Also I would be tempted to pull the area around the lower spine up a bit, but more importantly pull the the area around his nether regions/stomach down as well between his legs.

My few cents

RPG

http://rpgdigital.bizhosting.com

roguenroll
07-18-2003, 01:33 AM
i'll post some refs I had, I went pretty close to the drawing, but of course this is a drawing that is one artists vision. I'll get 3 or 4 and pick the best of all.

My biggest problem, is the legs and the under region from the front and back views. working on that.

also checked your site, I;d like to see your dinos, but the links to the big pics are down.

R

RPG2006
07-18-2003, 02:42 AM
Rogue,

Just found out that bombshell news from a potential client last night re the pics, none to happy.

Would like to see the refs.

What I can suggest, and something I'm having to do alot more of lately due to some pretty ropey source(Not knocking your artist by the way), is do a search for deinonychus on the web. Google's image search is pretty good for 1 and the BBC have a pretty good image bank from there various series.

In addition there are quite a few dino related web sites with traditional illustrated version of dinosaurs.

Will have a butchers myself and see what I come up with.

Cheers

RPG

RPG2006
07-18-2003, 03:13 AM
Rogue,

Here are a few links which might be helpful. Due to the fact that most of the time it's down to the artist's impression they do tend to vary. There is skeletal refs, but that's maybe taking it too far for what you need.

http://www.bambiraptor.com/Pages/Deinonychus.html

http://dinosauricon.com/genera/deinonychus.html
(The above site has hundreds of illustrations of many species)

http://www.dinodata.net/spex/Janssens/Janssens.htm

http://geocities.yahoo.com.br/dinoss2/deinonychus.gif
Nice detail, the proportions are similar to yours, however he's outstretched in a sprint, I would still go for pulling the lower belly area down.

http://www.chemie.fu-berlin.de/glossar/saurier.html

http://www.soodino.pe.kr/dinopic/deinonychus.jpg

http://www.dinostoreus.com/deinonychus-finished.html

http://www.petz.it/animali/dinosauri/immagini/deinonychus.jpg

I haven't got your image up right now, but as I remember the legs looked pretty good. Maybe check out my tutorial, different species, but there is a formula of sorts there. That's if the bloody tut is still working?Something else I now need to check.

Hope this helps anyway

RPG

RPG2006
07-18-2003, 04:11 AM
Re the pic links, I think either the monthly bandwidth has been used up, or my hosters I playing silly buggers? A new one to me anyway.

You can view the gallery and images here minus menu. Very professional:thumbsdow

http://rpgdigital.bizhosting.com/RPG%20Digital%20Gallery.htm

http://creativedigital.bizhosting.com/Creative%20Gallery.htm

RPG

roguenroll
07-18-2003, 04:27 AM
here is my main side ref. thx for the links, one is actually quite simliar to the ref, but colored.

your stuff is very nice (I really like the interior renders), and I think I have your allesaurus in my ref files, that'll be when I get to the texturing phase.

I'm also looking at the UtahRaptor from walking w/ dinos, as a skin ref, also animating.

thx again

Rogue

I can see some tweaks to the claws, I guess I wasn't paying too much attention, toes need to be more peg like, and hands need to be much more curved.

RPG2006
07-18-2003, 10:01 AM
Yes your right. They are the same minus the colour.

It's in a sprinting stance which is what needs to be accounted for when modeling the default pose, I guess.

I do like the details in that images though, the veins etc, especially around the neck etc. Should be pretty helpful for the bump map.

Also see in some of the refs they've added feathers to the beast which is pretty interesting, but maybe we'll leave that eh?

Anyways rogue good luck. Will be very interested to see some of the final shots.

Cheers

RPG

roguenroll
07-18-2003, 04:57 PM
a little update

RPG2006
07-19-2003, 11:38 AM
Rogue,

The details are looking great, the collar bones and the detail in the head etc. love it

One note, the details do tend to get lost abit when textured, so maybe reign yourself in a bit is my advice. Plus, and my weak area, you have to animate it.

I would still tuck the flappage under the chin in a bit and pull his under carriage down abit between his legs. Other than that nice one, and I'll stop playing critic now.

All the best

RPG

roguenroll
07-19-2003, 01:12 PM
yeah, I was wondering about the detail, I guess it ultimately comes down to what the shot is, I will be animating it for photorealism (well thats the plan) and there maybe some tighter shots. so I'm planning ahead. but thats was a question I had earlier about 'when to say when', and then let the tex and bump maps do the rest. cool.

since I didn't have a frame of refernce, I'll see how this guy comes out and be able to guage future projects. mostly I was thinking back to the walking w/ dino models that where actual models scanned with all detail, even bumped skin.

mosltly working on the head, trying to make him scary, or at least menacing since those claws would do som serious damage.

the jaw and top nose part I still don't like, too roundish, and he still looks a little dopey (mosly from front on shot). working.

rogue

roguenroll
07-22-2003, 01:56 PM
dino

roguenroll
07-22-2003, 01:57 PM
dino

Cyborgguineapig
07-22-2003, 02:43 PM
wow this coming along very nice, keep going!:thumbsup:

aurora
07-22-2003, 03:04 PM
Much improved!! I really like the continued work. One question though are you going to stay with the solid brown/gray coloring or go with the new multicolored skin approach. Just curious more then anything else.

roguenroll
07-22-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by aurora
Much improved!! I really like the continued work. One question though are you going to stay with the solid brown/gray coloring or go with the new multicolored skin approach. Just curious more then anything else.

thx for replies, no, no grey and brown, or at least not much, I really like the splashes of color, much like birds, but I'm not really gonna go the feather route. maybe some faint strips, etc.

ala jurassic park, or walking with dinosaurs is the idea.

aurora
07-22-2003, 05:18 PM
Not that I wanted to persuade you but that is what I wanted to hear! I grew up with the drab color theory then when I got into paleontological dealing (all legal/ and moral unlike most others thank you) I started seeing some of the skin samples and the possible chromatophores in the cells and feel in love with the brilliant color theory. As for the feathers, well even though I specilized in avian fossils I still like my dinos with scales more so then feathers. It just looks leaner and meaner, a more dino romantic feel to me. Can't wait to see what you do with the final comped scenes.

roguenroll
07-22-2003, 05:29 PM
yeah I love all those shows on the science and discovery channel, I can watch em back to back for hours while I'm modelling. Alot of my thinking has been shaped straight from the experts themselves. Can't argue with the facts, or at least the best facts that we have to date. It good stuff.:)

roguenroll
07-29-2003, 04:08 AM
a little texture update, pretty much just set up the base, and a little bump, some wrinkles etc. now deciding on strips or blotches, or ?? and color??

Rogue

RPG2006
07-29-2003, 10:28 AM
Rogue,

Looking good!

Just a few thoughts.

A highlight or a bit of dodge around the stripes might help. It seems to be a trick that works.

In addition, I don't know how you are going about your bump mapping, but say for areas like the rear legs and thighs, you can't go wrong by scanning in abit a bit of elephant hide for instance and working on that. There's a number of methods for doing the bump, some new ones I want to try, but oridinarily I will go about it like this.

Get as much source material such as photos of rhinos/lizards/elephants etc. Then cut and paste in pshop in layers ie a bit of thigh here, a bit of stomach there. Then using a big soft edged eraser you can erase back to create one image. Usually this takes about an hour tops to do. More time is spent on sourcing the images.

Obviously there are alot of methods to doing bump. There's a tut on newtek, and I would very much like to master his method. I'm about 60 percent there, but the method I've mentioned has worked for us. I've attached an oldy we did around the same time as walking witrh dinos was being produced. Lightwave 5.5 I think.

Cheers

RPG

RPG2006
07-29-2003, 10:29 AM
by the way excuse the quality and the cropping, just trying to get it under 20k

roguenroll
07-29-2003, 04:56 PM
yep, thx, both of those dino have very nice texuring. I like both of them. I haven't really settled on exactly what style I do.

This last test was just to see how some strips layed out on the UV.
I am getting some wavyness on the back, and the strips don't look good at all.

I'll have a go with your suggestions and hope to have him looking
good in no time.

oh, yeah, the base tex is alot of elephant and some rhino, and a couple others in some areas.

UV the legs and arms I think will be a tricky one.

RPG2006
07-29-2003, 10:22 PM
Rogue,

Find the uving pretty tricky myself at times. you create what you think is a pretty detailed map, get it into UV stage and alot of the details lost or blurred. down to my ignorance on the matter I'm sure. The advantage I have is that most of my work is for print so abit of pshopping afterwards does wonders.

There is a workarounds where you actually unwrap your model as an endomorph, and then take a grab from layout instead of modeler, to get over the distortion problem(very simplified explanation). There were some posts on it a while ago, so you may be able to find something on it on this forum ie search'UV' or something more imaginative(It's late here)

The image I attached was from a series of 15 books we did, and in the 5.5 days, so we cut up the mods and used planar mapping. Fiddly, but holds the detail well.

By the way have managed to do a workaround on my site, so the hi-res images now seem to download fine. http://creativedigital.bizhosting.com

There's about 16 images, textured up and comped by a good mate of mine. Might be worth a look at.

Cheers

RPG

roguenroll
07-29-2003, 10:27 PM
ya mean the dinos, I'm still not seeing those!!! I'd like too:)

ptaverner
07-29-2003, 10:27 PM
This looks GREAT!
You made mention of it in another thread, but this is the first time I've seen it. NICE JOB!

You'll have to put a bunch of them into a scene, all with cavemen on their backs, set up in a traffic jam type situation. ;)

Great job!

Peter

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.