PDA

View Full Version : help needed with mr proxy and uv

umiumi
05-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Hi, sorry if this topic is already covered, but I could not find the answer.

I am working on the project which we need to produce fly through of new development showing a lots of villas, hotels, etc. I thought it might be time to try using mr proxy, as many of the buildings are identical.

When I export .mi file and import proxy all seems to work fine...until I move proxy's container object. As soon as container is moved, the proxy loose it's uv and texture seems to be acting like as if they are projected in 3d space. Please look at the images I have attached to illustrate this.

/Volumes/new\data/proxy\test1.jpg
/Volumes/new\data/proxy\test2.jpg

I made sure the original mesh is sitting in the origin and also tried deleting history and freezing transformation. None of which worked.
If any one can tell me how to stop this happening, that would be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Tobbe
05-08-2009, 09:56 PM
Hi,

Check this out:
http://mayastation.typepad.com/maya-station/2009/05/render-proxy-assembly-issue-when-moved-from-the-origin.html

Tobbe

umiumi
05-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Hi, thank you for your respose. I will give it a try!

techmage
07-22-2009, 06:57 AM
i was about to go into a serious rage of hatred towards autodesk until I found this post

the workaround works perfectly.

What the hell is scanline for anyways?

umiumi
07-22-2009, 10:25 AM
The workaround worked fine. Thanks for the post...but for this particular scene, using mr proxy added so much render time.
When I tried to use instances whenever I can, render time was about 2-3 minutes. When I tried proxys, it took about 10 minutes...Did I do something wrong?

techmage
07-22-2009, 08:19 PM
The workaround worked fine. Thanks for the post...but for this particular scene, using mr proxy added so much render time.
When I tried to use instances whenever I can, render time was about 2-3 minutes. When I tried proxys, it took about 10 minutes...Did I do something wrong?

im thinking that using raytracing on the whole scene makes it take much longer

why is it impossible for autodesk to implement something in maya without any little quirks here and there?

its like how apple says 'it just works'
its almost like the maya slogan is 'it just doesnt work'

seriously. I cant remember the last time a new feature in maya just worked the way it should without any hassle. Any new feature in maya seems to mean its gonna take atleast an extra few days of R&D to just make it work right.

I mean do they even beta test these features? The need to switch this to raytracing wasnt even mentioned in the documentation. How could autodesk not have run into this issue themselves and noted it somewhere? It really seems like they implemented it, then maybe tested it with like an untextured cube or something and called it done.

CGTalk Moderation
07-22-2009, 08:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.