PDA

View Full Version : Character: non-photorealistic female model

graphix19
07-16-2003, 10:54 PM
Hello everyone,
This model has haunted me for a while. I have posted earlier versions in the critique thread before. The model is idealized, but the rules of proportion still apply for overall balance. I need somebody to really tear it up, tell me what needs to be done to the model so I can get past this tweeking stage.
I eventually want the character rigged, so tell me if I am on the right track with the placement of edges, etc...

The software used is Maya 4.5 (OS X)

If I am missing some views that would help in the critique let me know and I will try to get them up.

Thanks
Graphix

graphix19
07-16-2003, 10:55 PM
more views

graphix19
07-16-2003, 10:57 PM
perspective

graphix19
07-16-2003, 10:59 PM
wires

Goon
07-16-2003, 11:07 PM
Your mesh is reaaaally funky right at the hip to leg juncture.

Can you show us some concept art so we know where you are going. It has character but not in a really distinct direction. Give us some background on her character too.

graphix19
07-16-2003, 11:08 PM
close up of head (wires)

graphix19
07-16-2003, 11:57 PM
OK here goes.
The character sketches that I have provided are what I initially modeled from. The sketches convey the attitude that the character has. I didn't want the girl to come off as the typical bad, superhero type. I want her to come off as a really cute girl that could walk up to you and cut your head off without even knowing it. One of those people who could not possibly be a threat. A person who doesn't fit her outer appearence. The girl next door with a 6ft knife, if that makes any since.

graphix19
07-16-2003, 11:58 PM
concept 2

graphix19
07-17-2003, 12:00 AM
this is actually what I used as reference picts.

YankyBJeans
07-17-2003, 02:04 AM
I think this model is looking good. The proportions are obviously off, but you are going for that look and I think the strange proportions are working well. Although I think you should continue to push that idea some more. I definitely thing that the upper thighs should have a little more body to them. Overall I would just push the non realistic-ness of it so that it looks less like a badly proportioned human and more like an intentionally disproportionate character.

Yanky

graphix19
07-17-2003, 04:39 AM
YankyBJeans: When you say continue to push the look by giving the hips more body, do you mean exagerating them to the point that they are rediculously, cartoony large and curvy or give her more of a J Lo ass?

I don't think that I am going for the hour glass look like J. Scott Campbell and his art( Danger girl and Gen13). I am trying to use japanese art(lanky and long with exagerated feet ) and mix it with a little reality. Kind of like Masamune Shirow only with more of a final fantasy feel to it. I don't know how to explain it well. I want to keep realistic proportions and I want to keep slightly off proportions. I know that I am talking in circles but that is my style.

sorry if I am confusing

YankyBJeans
07-18-2003, 04:01 AM
I get what you mean dude. I feel the same way too. I like the lanky look but on the other hand I dont want to see it too spindly. I think if you add a little bulk here and there, it will make it look even better. Not a jlo ass or a hourglass figure but just a little more roundness to kinda even out the long thin areas. Perhaps im just weird.

18th_Devil
07-18-2003, 09:55 AM
the model is looking boney.
yeah like the other posts say give the arms and legs some more volume.

right now to me the upper arm need more work
and the thighs need more fat and or muscle. and needs to be rounded more at the hips, that should probally give u the hour glass look that u want.
imo the legs don't seem to look like it would hold the body up.

if ur going for the scott campbell look try and get a hold of the danger girl sketch book really awsome.
and at the sametime look at some human anatomy... i understand that u rn't going for photorealistic but it will help on where to place muscles and what not

good start though :)

graphix19
07-19-2003, 07:17 AM
I used some of your guys advice and I made some parts a little more meaty. I also tryed to refine the mesh were the legs and the torso joined. I am trying to make some kind of hair because I can't stand looking at a featurless bald model. But here are some revisions, tell me what you think, or even if you notice.
thanks
graphix

graphix19
07-19-2003, 07:19 AM
here is a back side shot

graphix19
07-19-2003, 07:21 AM
Here is a view of the wires for the highres and the proxy model. The pic is pretty bad quality. sorry about that

YankyBJeans
07-19-2003, 09:05 AM
Wow! I notice the changes and I am really digging them. She is nicely balanced now and I am really liking where she is going. I dont think she needs the hourglass figure like others have said. Keep it going! By the way, I am partial to polygon hair when its done correctly. It has a more solid feel to me.

Yanky

InKraBid
07-20-2003, 02:33 PM
Hi.
First thing I noticed, was that where the shoulder meets the breasts, the chestmuscle needs to be better defined, now it looks like shes got breasts coming out of her armpits.. The shoulderblades also needs to be defined (made sharper). The butt looks good, but could be a bit more relaxed, now it looks like they're clenched together.. A rear perspective view would help..

HapZungLam
07-20-2003, 07:26 PM
not a bad one.

The proportion you may need to tweak later on. Her legs are very long.

Arcording to your concept arts. Her socks, boots whatever she has should be fatter. I like the look of super fat.

graphix19
07-21-2003, 01:56 AM
I have tried to define the shoulder blades a little bit and I have updated the front a little bit also. I have attached a persp shot of the back. I think that I am going to leave the butt in the clenched position for now because, it gives the model a little more character. I do realise the legs are a little long and I agree with keeping with the concept model's bigger boots. Maybe the next update I will be able to show off some new boots. Keep tearing away guys, I will complete this model if it kills me. Thanks alot for the input so far.
graphix

jellyfish
07-22-2003, 06:41 PM
Very nice work so far! I don't have much to critique on the body, in fact it looks pretty much right to me. However, I do have some points on the head, I am looking at the wireframe closeup head you posted earlier.

The proportions of the head are pretty good, but there's something wrong with the eyes. I'm thinking perhaps they are too sunken into the head when compared with your concept sketches. In particular, the inner corners of the eyelids seem to be set too far into the head.

I also think some attention should be paid to the ears, they are currently looking embryonic. If nothing else, I think they should be a little larger (at least the upper flappy part). Also, the part where it meets the head in the front needs to be smoothed out, it seems to form a crease which makes the ear look like a seperate object sorta.

Could you do some shaping on her brow? Right now, where the eyebrow ridge meets the forehead is pretty featureless, and the part where her nose meets the brow looks ridged like a klingon. Maybe some poly splits on the top of the brow and flattening out the front of the forehead would make this part look more finished.

The nose is also sorta wierd to me. I can see it going two ways: the bulb of the nose makes me want the nostrils to be wider, and maybe a slight bulge/crease where the top of the nostril thing meets the cheeks. On the other hand, the dainty, button-like nostrils make me want to see a smaller, more upturned nose bulb. Which are you going for? Right now it is just a mishmash.

Although I do agree that hair is important, I think it's more important to get the baldie version just right, because a good bald model will still be beautiful, and hair will only cover up so much :) And how sexy is a bald, innocent, 6-foot-knife-wielding girl next door? (very sexy is the answer I'm looking for, heh)

jellyfish

Ex Tessera
07-23-2003, 03:32 AM
Looks pretty good so far.

Um, you said non-photorealistic, but that could mean a veritable crap ton of things. So I'm gonna asume you want it to look like your sketches.

To make it look like those, which are quite good, btw, I think the secret is hard edges. You can't really get away with those in CG, but harder corners are what I think you need. Between her pelvis abs, and torso for example.

Just my 2 cents.

graphix19
07-23-2003, 04:53 AM
jellyfish: I have been wondering the same thing, I think that I am happy with the model but there is just something wrong with the face. I agree that the eyes are too sunk in and I am playing around with that. I have tried to define the ears a little more, but I don't want to get too far away from the original plan. Most comic book ears aren't very defined, since this character is kind of echoing the comic feel, I wanted to leave them simplified and noticably smaller. (I did try and make the transition from ear to head a little smoother. I also think that one of the major problems with the brow is the lack of eyelashes and eyebrows and I am currently trying to solve that. Thanks for the input, it sent me in directions I couldn't quite put my finger on.
Ex Tessera: I am not quite sure what you meant by harder edges? Do you mean define the areas more, like with muscles or show more where the bone hits the skin kind of thing? thanks for the input.

So, I am trying to define the lips a little more and I have shortened the legs up a little bit. I still don't have the big boots, but that part is coming hopefully.

I have added a couple more images for you to view.
thx
graphix

graphix19
07-23-2003, 04:55 AM
this I threw a quick spotlight on her to see if there were any features popping out.

I know that these are small updates, but bear with me.

thx
graphix

Ex Tessera
07-23-2003, 08:16 AM
Kinda hard corners, see attachment.

I think its what gives her some character and kick.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.