PDA

View Full Version : Flashpoint Academy VS SCAD

EvilPrinceArthas
05-07-2009, 06:58 PM
Hello everyone, I have been a member for awhile, but this is my first post. I live in Illinois and i am currently trying to look at good schools around the area, my teacher recommended SCAD to me a few years ago, i know its in georgia and not "around the area" but i am still looking at it. I was also recommended by my Psycology teacher to the school Flashpoint in chicago, I have heard both good and bad things about both schools. i guess its basically dependant on the students experience. These are the two schools i am looking at. i have looked at the list in the Courses and Schools alot and i am still debating on what school to transfer to. Please Someone help me make up my mind!

taxguy
01-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Funny that you mentioned this at the same time that a friend asked me about them. I have never heard of them. I am also curious if anyone has any experience with their training and job placement. At least they offer more than the usual one year of training that you see in a number of trade schools.

One glaring deficiency that seems to permeate trade schools, which seems also applicable to Flashpoint academy, is that they don't seem to offer any fundamental training on things like creature design, head and hand design, anatomy etc.

MaxBickley
01-18-2010, 08:13 PM
What exactly are either of you looking at getting into? Animation, effects, 2d, 3d?

SCAD does offer plenty of foundation studies, from anatomy to character design(which I think is actually in the Sequential Art program, not the animation, game, or vfx programs).

harovas
01-31-2010, 06:59 PM
Hello Jonathan,

Max asks a great question, which applies to both Flashpoint and SCAD.
If you know what area of the business you are interested in, it can help make your decision
easier.

SCAD has a great program, and I have heard both good and bad things about both SCAD's and Flashpoint's programs, which in my experience always comes down to the following:
all other things being as equal as possible, you get out of a school what you put into it.

Period.

You can take every course there is, but if you aren't challenging yourself, if you aren't trying to stretch beyond the boundaries given in a school program, then you will only get the information presented, and it will be hard for it to cement into your psyche.
Although I am biased, I truly believe Flashpoint has a great program as well.
I created the curriculum here and I run the VFX/Animation department, therefore I ensure that it continues to evolve each semester, staying flexible and applicable to the ever-changing fields of VFX and Animation. Our instructors are ALL currently working professionals (as am I), and they help me keep the program as updated and relevant as possible. As I understand it, SCAD is a larger school, but also makes an effort to do the same regarding their instructors.
I am not sure if they succeed (and I only say that to make clear that I don't know, one way or another, it isn't meant as an opinion of SCAD at all) but that they try to do the same.
This is great for students at both Flashpoint and SCAD, since there are many programs in schools out there that do not take that part of the equation seriously.

If we are both successful (Flashpoint and SCAD) then it comes down to one question:
At which place will YOU be most comfortable, and willing to put in more than 100%?

That is really the only question that matters, all other things being equal.

I wish you tremendous success, and hope that wherever you decide to attend, you
give it your all.

Sincerely,

Perry Harovas

CGTalk Moderation
01-31-2010, 06:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.