PDA

View Full Version : Year 12 Project: Marking campaign on Eco-car

akataylor
05-07-2009, 09:30 AM
Hi there,

I've designed an eco-friendly sports car for a project I'm doing, the animations can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al7acHTfzrY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KzexGpWI2M&feature=channel_page

Also, some renders of my car can be found here:http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/vv108/year12mdp/

Thanks guys.

Weequay
05-07-2009, 12:52 PM
This looks like a very ambitous project! Is this for a company or is it personal? I like your overall concept and goal. You have some nice things going on like some of the animation and camera angles but it seems like you might be trying to tackle this all by yourself and therefore there are a lot of rough spots.

Now I don't know how finished this is, and I am assuming it is mostly an animatic that will get better renders, animation and polish overtime so I won't talk about lighting and rendering. But as for the car modeling, I think you need more detail and tighter edges and gaps to get away from the plastic toy feel of the sheet metal. Photo real car models live and die by the quality of the details. That last 10% of a car model is harder than the first 90%.

Many of your camera moves need to be softened a bit more (more ease in and out), and add subtle motion noise to some of them to keep them from looking too cg. Watch your tire rotations (especially in close-ups) as they are wobbly in some spots.

I would recommend cutting a lot of your shots out to help you get this done. You need to focus more on what really needs to be shown/said to get your point across. A lot of those shots are "cool" but there are too many that feel unnecessary, so see about trimming it down quite a bit. I would also loose the babe shots as they don't look good and people might not take you seriously.

I hope I don't sound too negative, again you've done a lot of work here and it shows. I see lots of potential in this. There is lots going for it, and lots keeping it from being tight and professional. I hope I've offered some ways that help you get it a bit more focused and polished.

-Mark

akataylor
05-08-2009, 09:21 AM
Hey there,

Thanks for taking the time to have a look at it. Yes, this project is undertaken on my own (it's for a high school project, both animations and the car)

It's also my proper attempt at modeling anything without some form of tutorial along the way as well, and I'm completely aware it's far from finished and I still have a long way to go in terms of quality.

However, I think I'll take up your advice in regard to the shots of the girl, and taking out some of the un-necessary shots, I've heard that a bit from showing classmates but hearing it from another perspective is good as well. I am also going to attempt to tweak some of the renders and hopefully get time to re-render with a nicer rendered (however, time constraints MAY stop me from doing this.)

Thank you again for the comments, I'm glad you realised this was still a work in progress and offered some helpful advice :)

Weequay
05-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Did you say you are doing this for high school!? If so then I am damn impressed. Does your high school have a 3D class or are you self taught at this point? If I knew this was for high school I would've been more forgiving:)

You definitely have a talent and a passion for this work, and being that you can dedicate yourself to produce this level of work in high school says a lot. Keep up the good work!

-Mark

akataylor
05-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Yeah, sorry, I forgot to mention I'm only 17. Don't worry about going easy on me, I'd like real feedback on how to make it better.

I've written down some stuff to do, done some more research, and will re-render and take out a lot of what I have in the larger animation already (will probably keep the other smaller animation as it is however).

One of my classes is a design class based around computers. We do CAD and animation work with ArchiCAD, AutoCAD, 3ds Max, the Adobe Suite (AA, Premiere Pro etc.) and CATIA.

A close to finished animation will hopefully be up soon (although it might take a few weeks to co-inside with other school commitments)

akataylor
08-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Hi there,

I know this is a very late bump to my old thread, but my project is almost at completion, and these are my much improved animations.

Watch them here: http://www.youtube.com/user/batmanscoolness

On top of that, I also have a bunch of renders on photobucket too.

http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/vv108/year12mdp/

Any input would be great! I'd love to put it in my folio.

Thanks,

James

mistasam02
08-24-2009, 11:15 PM
Too cool dude! Love the design and functionality. They really should stop making crappy looking cars and hire you instead :D

akataylor
08-25-2009, 10:15 AM
Hah thanks mate.

I know it's not fantastic, but I'm only just getting started with this program.

Thanks for your input, appreciated.

CGTalk Moderation
08-25-2009, 10:16 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.