PDA

View Full Version : question about UV mapping Ztools

gabeartist
05-07-2009, 10:07 AM
My question is this. Since I create my models in Z in a non linear fashion (I mean jumping constantly between large global details down to small minute details), sometimes there's no moment in-between changes where I necessarily want to UV map. Because once I do, I might create a large change again, and stretch those freshly laid UV's. Is there anyway, once I'm completely finished with the model, that I can then lay the UV's on a low res version of the model, and project it up to the high res???

lemiere
05-09-2009, 01:34 AM
Great idea Gabeartist, but I don't think so.

Not ruling it out, but UV's are dependent on topology. The only other idea I can think of is to start with a base mesh in say Maya/3dsmax/(etc), UV that, import in ZBrush and sculpt away.

Guess it depends on your working practice. That approach doesn't always suit all.

Totyo
05-11-2009, 08:00 AM
Just finish all your sculpting, you can do the UVs at the final stage :)
When you are done with your sculpting:

Go to the lowest subdivision level (the one which will be your base mesh, eventually, delete the lower levels if you don't need them)
In Tool>Morph Target, create a morph target
Export your model in OBJ
Open it in your UV editor, do your unwrap, but -don't- change your topology. Export in OBJ
Go back in ZBrush, while your original sculpted model is loaded, click on Tool>Import and load the OBJ with the UVs.
If you model change of orientation or size (which may happen depending of the import/export of ZBrush or your UV unwrap software setting...), then go in Tool>MorphTarget and click on Switch to have your model back to it's initial position/size.
If everything has been fine, move up your subdivision level smoothing and your sculpting should be still here, without any troubles.
If you have an exploded mesh when moving up your levels of SubD, its because your model topology has changed during the export/import with UV process, when you did your UV job. If you are using Max 2009 for this task, don't use the optimization in the export settings 'search on ZBrushCentral about this problem).

I hope it helps and I understood well your problem :)

gabeartist
05-15-2009, 10:28 AM
thank you both very much. and that's exactly what i was asking. thanks totyo!

CGTalk Moderation
05-15-2009, 10:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.