PDA

View Full Version : Magician: 1st Blocking Pass, Need Crit!

foolontheplanet
05-07-2009, 12:38 AM
Hey everyone, have a little time off and thought I'd do some fluff work for practice. This is my first time posting in these forums. This is the first blocking pass of my poor magician. Please give me any feedback on it you can before I move on to my second pass to make it better. Thanks in advance!
http://www.vimeo.com/4505324

-

ScotchTapeWorm3D
05-08-2009, 03:54 AM
It's a bit choppy.

stuartb
05-08-2009, 04:22 AM
I think the most important area to work on are the silhouette of the poses. For example, the starting pose looks like the back arm is jutting out of his belly. Frame 22, the compression pose looks very awkward. A great way to check silhouettes is to use the feature in the Maya Render View. Just render out your frame then press the white ball on a black box near the top. Voila. Remember that blocking is your foundation. If all the poses do not read extremely well, then they will only get muddied by the splining process.

Regarding the trick part, you a decent start, but you definitely need to flesh it out a lot more. It's very difficult to understand what's happening. While blocking doesn't need to have every breakdown, the golden poses all need to be there. It feels like your missing a few. In any case, gl with the second pass!

foolontheplanet
05-17-2009, 09:01 PM
Here's an update. Added a few more breakdowns and added in what sheldonsmith(from another forum) suggested with him showing the ball off a little bit before he continues. How's it looking? Does it seem like I need to add more breaks/inbetweens before I move on to splining? Sorry, about all the questions, still trying to get back to basics with everything. Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

(OH, p.s., if you hover your mouse outside of the video, those options will disappear so they won't block the view.)

http://www.vimeo.com/4686969

Ibeechu
05-17-2009, 10:14 PM
It's a bit choppy.

It's a blocking pass, brah.

Also, looking very nice. Even during this early stage, it made me laugh.

CGTalk Moderation
05-17-2009, 10:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.