PDA

View Full Version : lw model / 3DDave rig > look at constraint

cornel H.
07-16-2003, 06:49 PM
I'm trying to set up the eyes for a lightwave model in motionbuilder with the famous 3DDave rig. I understand that you have to build a 3 Points Rotation constraint wit a target to get there.
Question: How do you set this up in lightwave ? Do the eyes have to be a whole seperate object because Motionbuilder can't see lightwave layers ?
Or how can I access the eyes in Motionbuilder for the constraint ?

sensai2nd
07-16-2003, 08:50 PM
I'm not entirely sure how to do this, straight from memory, but you can download a PDF tutorial from Kaydara's Infobase that explains exactly what you're talking about, a "look-at" constraint . . .

3DDave
07-16-2003, 09:17 PM
I have not had time to apply the look at constraint, but it looks like the way to go for the eyes.

Also MB does support mulit-layers. I don't know how many, but I have a character with two layers working great. Also I have seperate bones on the second layer as well.

Glad you like the rig.

LFGabel
07-17-2003, 10:18 AM
I've had success with this method: throw in some bones for the eyes, and parent them to the head bone in layout. Make sure that each eye is 100% weighted to it's corresponding eye bone.

Then once in MB, add a null and position it in front of the eyes, and call it something like "Lookat Holder".

Attach it to the head, neck, spine or hips with a position contraint (your choice depending on what you want).

Then add a marker called something like "Eye Lookat Goal", align its x,y,z to the lookat holder, and then parent it to the lookat holder.

Then add two IK contraints on the eye bones, pointing at the lookat goal.

This will make the lookat goal move with the character, yet still allow you to lock your character's gaze on something while it turns it's head.

Of course, this is just one way to do it, but this has the advantage of only having to worry about one lookat goal to aim the eyes, instead of 3 with the 3 point constraint.

cornel H.
07-19-2003, 04:15 PM
Thanks for your help !!!

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.