PDA

View Full Version : photons shoot through object?

mypeople
05-06-2009, 08:39 PM
i have several lamps in my scene. i placed a point light in the middle where the bulb is and all photons get stuck under the lamp shade. i dont want any photons hitting it at all, i want them to shoot through the lamp. is there a way to have my photons ignore an object (like a lamp shade) this would be super useful for countless renders i have to do.

InfernalDarkness
05-07-2009, 08:35 AM
...of your lampshade, in the mental ray section uncheck "Absorb" photons.

If you're using a mental ray shader for the lampshade, probably a different story. I'd start there either way.

Alternatively, you could set the light's linking to ignore the offending objects.

mypeople
05-07-2009, 08:46 AM
we're using maya 8 at work, i dont recall seeing that option. ill check in the morning, i hope thats available.

InfernalDarkness
05-07-2009, 06:13 PM
These options are in the Maya material's attributes, under the mental ray section, and have been since at least version 6, when I started using Maya. I'm not sure if this will remove the object entirely from the photon calculations, or simply occlude it. Hope this helps.

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/6981/mrattrib.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
05-07-2009, 06:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.