PDA

View Full Version : Wrap Deformfer Rigging

quyeno
07-16-2003, 05:21 PM
hi guys,

does anyone know how to bind a subD mesh to a rig using the low poly mesh as a wrap deformer? or if you know a tutorial that would be excellent as well.

cheers

Atwooki
07-16-2003, 06:33 PM
If you want all the edit levels of the subD to be influenced by the wrap, select the object, then shift select your wrap, and go ---> ' create wrap'

If you only want certain levels of the subD to be party to the wrap, right click on the object, select the level (s) you want, and then shift select the wrap and go ----> 'create wrap'

Atwooki

quyeno
07-16-2003, 11:04 PM
cool, thanks for your help.

i was wondering is there any other way to skin the mesh to the rig and somehow smooth or subD it.

kmp3d
07-16-2003, 11:24 PM
you can also make a direct connection from your low rez mesh to your high rez mesh using the connection editor..... mesh out to mesh in. If you want to connect a low rez poly to a subd mesh turn on poly mode on the subd and connect your low rez mesh to the shape node of the subd proxy cage. Careful, if you turn off proxy mode on your subd you'll lose the connection. I believe that a direct connection will evaluate faster than a wrap but I haven't tested it.

quyeno
07-17-2003, 04:00 PM
hey that is really cool!

i'm also planning to create a series of blend shapes for the elbow. i want to just copy the section from the mid upper arm to mid forearm and use that section to sculpt my blend shapes. would that work for the connection method? i guess if in the wrap method i would be creating a blend shape for the wrap deformer. which method do you think would be more robust and easier?

Bri_Spencer
07-17-2003, 07:39 PM
If you really want to know all about wraps and influence objects try the gnomon DVDs. They are expensive, but worth their weight in gold.

Lomax
07-17-2003, 08:20 PM
One good thing about wrap deformers is don't have to use a single mesh. Having to morph just the arm would take a bit less memory than creating a blendshape for the entire body.

Doogie
07-17-2003, 08:48 PM
Id like to point out that wrap deformers are very slow. I used it once for a full body character animation, and I wouldn't again. I animated w/ the subD hidden, no problem. When it game to render time, they went up like crazy. I also had issues where individual verts would jump across the screen during the animation.

I'd suggest the meshout->meshin method (it looks like thats what it's designed for). The reason I couldn't do that was I had creases in my SubD model, could I have just used the poly proxy to drive the subD? has anyone had problems with this?

quyeno
07-17-2003, 09:47 PM
yeah those gnomon dvds are excellent but i'm a student nearing the end of the year so my money is pretty non existent.

Bri_Spencer
07-21-2003, 08:34 PM
Yeah, I definately hear the money thing. I just graduated my self and I had to sacrafice food for gnomon. I lost weight and got smarter. A win, win situation for me. :D

Lomax
07-21-2003, 11:41 PM
Bri_Spencer, what school did you go to? I knew a guy named Spencer in Pittsburgh that would have graduated recently. Might just be a coincidence...

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.