PDA

View Full Version : nParticles render like crap in MR 2009

Aikiman
05-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Am I missing something here? Using the presets cloudy and water in nParticles render nicely in SW but crap in MR, whats going on?

Cheesestraws
05-06-2009, 10:46 AM
What do you mean by crap?

Aikiman
05-06-2009, 07:35 PM
The cloudy thick type ones render with nice textural detail in SW, in MR they just look like blown out white blobs. The water nParticles at least carry some resemblance of water in SW, in MR they render with parts missing and look like crap. I wouldve though now that MR and the PSiN are closely integrated this was a thing of the past, I mustve gotten the wrong end.

InfernalDarkness
05-06-2009, 08:28 PM
...with the water. I did have to tweak the material a bit, but it sounds like you just need to do some more experimenting and testing with nParticles first. I can understand your frustration though; getting a nice clean water look is a bit tedious for me too.

KidderD
05-06-2009, 08:30 PM
I'm not sure this is the correct solution for MR, but I think it certainly works. If you check the autovolume checkbox, things look alot nicer.

aadams
05-06-2009, 08:34 PM
are the shadows set to segmented?

MAV4d
05-07-2009, 04:12 PM
maya's shaders do not reflect light at an inverse square fall off. mr's calculates the nrg that comes off the shader in the scene.

so, either use a mr shader.. or just adjust the shader of the particals to look correct

Duncan
05-07-2009, 06:24 PM
In MR the thick clouds use a fluid shader which in Mental Ray requires that the light has raytraced shadows enabled while in MayaSw it always does internal self shadowing(the logic in MR is really more consistent than the maya implementation).

I'm not sure the problem you are encountering with the water particles, but in general I find they render better in MR( with the default settings ) because MR has raytracing on by default, and the default shader assigned water is designed to work with raytracing. Also one can use motion blur on them in MR, which is not supported in MayaSw. That said, you can simply assign your favorite water material to the particles.

Duncan

CGTalk Moderation
05-07-2009, 06:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.