PDA

View Full Version : Importons/IP not working with mental ray satellite

SlipAway
05-06-2009, 08:23 AM
I published this earlier in the large Importon thread, but decided this merits its own thread.

Using: Maya 2009 Unlimited SP1a, Vista Business 64, 8GB RAM, latest mental ray satellite helping with renders on laptop.

Problem: IP enabling causes mental ray fatal errors when rendering any scene. No renders possible, have to shut down and restart Maya.

Solution now: leave mental ray satellite from laptop out of renders by editing maya.rayhosts file.

I've done extensive searching to see if this problem has been encountered elsewhere and I can find nothing on the subject. Hoping someone can advise on a possible solution or if this may be a problem with the SP1 updates.

I'd love to have the additional 2 cores from my laptop in my renders as it really helps cut down time, but IP/Importons doesn't like something. Here's the Output Window results after trying any setting tweaking in IP, or with the area light:

RCGI 0.3 info : sampling the environment for IP (6400 environment rays)...
RCGI 0.3 info : building the IP environment particle map...
RCI 1.0 progr: begin intersection preprocessing
RCI 1.0 info : using scanline for eye rays
RCI 1.0 info : using BSP algorithm for secondary rays
RCI 1.0 progr: building initial extent bsp-tree
RCI 1.0 info : leaves without shadow : 0
RCI 1.0 info : leaves with only shadow : 0
RCI 1.0 info : leaves with both : 56
RCI 1.0 progr: end intersection preprocessing
RCI 1.0 info : wallclock 0:00:00.05 for intersection prep.
RCI 1.0 info : allocated 2 MB, max resident 2 MB
DB 1.0 fatal 041008: attempt to access null DB tag

achoury
05-06-2009, 06:21 PM
I published this earlier in the large Importon thread, but decided this merits its own thread.

Using: Maya 2009 Unlimited SP1a, Vista Business 64, 8GB RAM, latest mental ray satellite helping with renders on laptop.

Problem: IP enabling causes mental ray fatal errors when rendering any scene. No renders possible, have to shut down and restart Maya.

Solution now: leave mental ray satellite from laptop out of renders by editing maya.rayhosts file.

I've done extensive searching to see if this problem has been encountered elsewhere and I can find nothing on the subject. Hoping someone can advise on a possible solution or if this may be a problem with the SP1 updates.

I'd love to have the additional 2 cores from my laptop in my renders as it really helps cut down time, but IP/Importons doesn't like something. Here's the Output Window results after trying any setting tweaking in IP, or with the area light:

RCGI 0.3 info : sampling the environment for IP (6400 environment rays)...
RCGI 0.3 info : building the IP environment particle map...
RCI 1.0 info : using BSP algorithm for secondary rays
RCI 1.0 progr: building initial extent bsp-tree
RCI 1.0 info : leaves without shadow : 0
RCI 1.0 info : leaves with only shadow : 0
RCI 1.0 info : leaves with both : 56
RCI 1.0 info : wallclock 0:00:00.05 for intersection prep.
RCI 1.0 info : allocated 2 MB, max resident 2 MB

Hi
By default mental ray 3.7 use the new algorithm BSP2, if you switch to the old BSP, by adding this variable MI_FORCE_OLD_BSP = 1, Maya won't crash!
Hope this help
/Rachid

SlipAway
05-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Hi
By default mental ray 3.7 use the new algorithm BSP2, if you switch to the old BSP, by adding this variable MI_FORCE_OLD_BSP = 1, Maya won't crash!
Hope this help
/Rachid

Your tip provided some help, as I was already using regular BSP on my workstation. I did not know that BSP2 was default for MR 3.7. Since my laptop is running MR satellite it would make sense that it is using BSP2, and I know of no way to tweak MR satellite. I switched my workstation to BSP2 and Maya was able to calculate importon emission this time, but MR had another fatal error after that step:

JOB 0.5 progr: 75.0% importon emission on Marlin.5
BSP2 0.6 progr: building parent space triangle bsp Master.TopLevel.330 (5 regions, 552 triangles)...
JOB 0.6 progr: 100.0% importon emission on Marlin.6
RCGI 0.3 info : collecting irradiance particles...
RCGI 0.3 info : optimizing 14580 irradiance particles...
RCI 1.0 info : using BSP2 algorithm for secondary rays
RCI 1.0 info : wallclock 0:00:00.47 for intersection prep.
RCI 1.0 info : allocated 3 MB, max resident 3 MB

achoury
05-06-2009, 07:57 PM

Do you have any Light Linking with fur in your scene?
or maybe your are doing somethings wrong with the material connection!
/rachid

SlipAway
05-06-2009, 08:18 PM
I spoke too soon. After that first semi-success it is back to crashing MR with BSP2 set on my workstation.

It's obvious that it's a MR satellite problem. I have no issues using it to render with any other lighting setup, FG/GI etc it runs great. Something is not right between Maya, and MR satellite on my laptop.

Do you have any Light Linking with fur in your scene?
or maybe your are doing somethings wrong with the material connection!
/rachid

No fur, it is an interior scene with the usual chairs, floors, walls, oranges, rugs lol. I haven't done any light linking. My lighting is a mia_portal_light piggybacked on an area light, single window.

For a test, I loaded up the author's scene from the tutorial project files to see if it might be a material connection, since they were able to render with no problems (no satellite of course). MR still crashed.

SlipAway
05-07-2009, 08:08 PM
I may have discovered the obvious. I was running Maya 2009 64-bit and my laptop is 32-bit. I installed 2009 32-bit on my workstation and that rendered the scene with no problems. So if I want to do IR/Importons I have to sacrifice the memory advantages of 64-bit Maya, in order to use the processing power of my laptop slave.

I'm not sure why there is a problem, I figure a slave is a slave and should just follow the instructions of the master, be it 64 or 32 bit. It's apparent there is a communication problem between the 2 versions.

CGTalk Moderation
05-07-2009, 08:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.