PDA

View Full Version : transparant error

Ayreon
07-16-2003, 03:25 PM
This is my latest model that I'm working on. Now I've finally gotten the hair to be a bit better then my first attempts, but I'm getting this transparancy error :thumbsdow . I'm using transparancy maps, to fade out the ends of the hair strands and the sides a bit to give it a softer feel. As you can see in the image it shows the background image through the first laer of hair. But it should show the head, if you understand what I mean. Is this a known bug in Lightwave with the z-buffer or something, or am I doing something wrong? The image used for transparancy is used for diffuse also, but then inverted.
Thanks for any help you can give me!

Ayreon

terryford
07-16-2003, 06:15 PM
I'm not sure this relates to your problem but have you put the same map you've applied as transparency control on all the other non-zero surface properties? In other words; if you have specularity or reflection you'll need to fade those out as well...

Regards,
Terry

Ayreon
07-16-2003, 07:43 PM
Well, I checked it and I use the map in all non zero channels, accept the color channel. Could it be something different? Now that I think of it, it only happens when I change my background to gradient. When I was using image world for the radiosity everything looked oke, but that could also be because the background was more dark then. Back to checking and testing I guess. Thanks for the tip anyway!

Btw, here's a better view.

Ayreon

Ayreon
07-16-2003, 08:11 PM
Oke little update. I changed the background color to see if it was the background that was showing through. And it was! So it put a flat plane in the middle of the head, to see if that would block it, but even with the plate in place Lightwave still shows the background through the hair, even if that would be impossible to see. I'm going nuts here! Please, someone give me the solution, I know it's out there! I've never had a problem that the pro's on these boards couldn't solve :D

Ayreon

CourtJester
07-16-2003, 08:58 PM
Zoom right in on the head and post the results. I'm suspecting something on the reflection channel, but need to look closer. IT's that little bit of what looks like additive overlay over her right ear (image left) that makes me think thus...

Ayreon
07-16-2003, 09:19 PM
Oke, here's a dirty quick render of just the face. No radiosity used in this one, so that's not the problem. The here has a value of zero for the reflection channen and no texture applied to the channel.

Ayreon

PolyMangler
07-16-2003, 10:03 PM
just from what you've said i'd agree with CourtJester in saying it has somethign to do with reflection maps you might have on it

Odrakir
07-16-2003, 10:08 PM
This is just a stupid guess, but who knows?...:shrug:

The color of the shadows?

Odrakir.

Triple G
07-16-2003, 10:18 PM
Do you have raytracing turned on? Maybe it has something to do with the ray recursion depth?

webfox
07-16-2003, 10:22 PM
Could you show an OpenGL preview and also a render from her right side, please? Is the error only happening at this angle you're rendering from or does it come in gradually?

Also, try turning off raytraced reflection in your renders (or turn it on if it's off) and see if it still does it.

You might even try rendering a turntable of her to see where this crops up.

My guess is that you have your ray recursion limit too low. Up it to 16 and see if it still happens.

webfox
07-16-2003, 10:23 PM
<--- Smacks Triple G with a large trout.

Triple G
07-16-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by webfox
<--- Smacks Triple G with a large trout.

*mmmm....trout....* :drool: ;)

Ayreon
07-17-2003, 12:07 AM
Thanks everyone for the tips! I'll try it and see what happens. I'll post my findings tomorrow.

Ayreon

Ayreon
07-17-2003, 12:11 AM
Well the result were quicker in then I thought. It was indeed the raytrace recursion that was set to low. I've cranked it up to 16 and now everything is fine. Thanks again for your help, I would have never figured this one out by myself!

I'm one happy waver once again, this community never let's me down:thumbsup:

Ayreon

webfox
07-17-2003, 02:37 AM
If you don't have to leave it at 16, then don't. The higher that number is, the more calculations that the renderer has to perform and you'll take a performance hit.

The more you know...

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.