PDA

View Full Version : how do i create a FG or GI render file?

mypeople
05-06-2009, 01:07 AM
in maya (i'm an xsi user) the place to create a FG or GI file for speeding up rendering doesn't show a location.

in xsi it says something like c:/blah blah

in maya i'm not able to tell it to create one and put on desktop or anything? i was curious if someone can explain to me how i create these maps. i have to bake lighting and was hoping this would speed up my render times for baking. anyone know if creating these maps will help? thanks gang

SlipAway
05-06-2009, 01:48 AM
in maya (i'm an xsi user) the place to create a FG or GI file for speeding up rendering doesn't show a location.

in xsi it says something like c:/blah blah

in maya i'm not able to tell it to create one and put on desktop or anything? i was curious if someone can explain to me how i create these maps. i have to bake lighting and was hoping this would speed up my render times for baking. anyone know if creating these maps will help? thanks gang

The maps are automatically created if you render with FG or GI. Look in <project folder>/renderData/mentalray. There you'll see 4 folders that contain the different maps you are looking for. If you do not name the file in the renderglobals, mental ray will name it default.fgmap if I recall correctly. Otherwise you can give it a name and find it in that folder specified.

If you want to tell mentalray to put those files say, on your desktop, when you create a new project it will give you the option to Use Defaults (use standard file locations), or enter a path where you want certain files to go, in this case the mentalray files.

mypeople
05-06-2009, 01:53 AM
thanks slip, thats incredibly helpful. do you know if while baking my lighting if storing a GI and FG file will improve rendertimes? will it keep building the files bigger and bigger with data? would be helpful for baking environments.

SlipAway
05-06-2009, 02:21 AM
Absolutely, they help tremendously with render times. With FG there is the option in renderglobals to turn it OFF or FREEZE it. If you freeze the FG map no further samples will be added to the file. If you turn it off, it will accumulate FG samples into the file. For GI, I believe the only option is to turn the REBUILD function on or off for the map.

CGTalk Moderation
05-06-2009, 02:21 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.