PDA

View Full Version : mia_exposure_photographic vs mia_exposure simple

royterr
05-05-2009, 10:53 PM
can the mia_exposure_photographic do everything a mia_exposure_simple can do?

DigitalCrystal
05-06-2009, 05:13 AM
can the mia_exposure_photographic do everything a mia_exposure_simple can do?

I think you may want to ask: "Can the mia_exposure_simple do everything the mia_exposure_photographic can do?"

mia_exposure_simple is just that, a simple lens shader for tone mapping

mia_exposure_photographic tends to mimic settings from a real camera... that said, you will need to know about film sensitivity, speed (iso), and other fun items before you will begin to see results that are more easily achieved with the mia_exposure_simple. Though once you know the "photographic", "simple" seems a bit basic.

They are designed for the same purpose, but one is more specialized.

Cheers,

royterr
05-06-2009, 05:19 AM
I think you may want to ask: "Can the mia_exposure_simple do everything the mia_exposure_photographic can do?"

mia_exposure_simple is just that, a simple lens shader for tone mapping

mia_exposure_photographic tends to mimic settings from a real camera... that said, you will need to know about film sensitivity, speed (iso), and other fun items before you will begin to see results that are more easily achieved with the mia_exposure_simple. Though once you know the "photographic", "simple" seems a bit basic.

They are designed for the same purpose, but one is more specialized.

Cheers,

i know that the mia_exposure_photographic is supposed to mimic a real camera but it doesn't have any gain,knee or compression options like the mia_exposure_simple.
(this is why i asked my question).

Is one supposed to obtain the same effect but with different options?

DigitalCrystal
05-06-2009, 05:30 AM
i know that the mia_exposure_photographic is supposed to mimic a real camera but it doesn't have any gain,knee or compression options like the mia_exposure_simple.

Yeah, you answered your own question there. :thumbsup: They do the same thing, with different attributes.

The maya help docs have a large section devoted to thess nodes and even show a breakdown of each setting to a certain extent. The examples should be listed with the mia shader under the mental ray section. Or better yet go here: Autodesk link (http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya/2009help/mr/shaders/architectural/arch_camera.html#mi_shader__mia_lens_bokeh)

royterr
05-06-2009, 05:32 AM
Yeah, you answered your own question there. :thumbsup: They do the same thing, with different attributes.

The maya help docs have a large section devoted to thess nodes and even show a breakdown of each setting to a certain extent. The examples should be listed with the mia shader under the mental ray section. Or better yet go here: Autodesk link (http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya/2009help/mr/shaders/architectural/arch_camera.html#mi_shader__mia_lens_bokeh)

Got it!
Thanks for the info.

achoury
05-06-2009, 12:22 PM

I've created a phenomena witch combine the two node mia_exposure_simple and mia_exposure_photographic, you can test it

http://www.postmyimage.com/images/imagesAMF12614.jpg

/rachid

MAV4d
05-07-2009, 01:07 PM
why would need a dual tone mapper? the photographic can do exactly what the simple does...

achoury
05-07-2009, 01:47 PM
why would need a dual tone mapper? the photographic can do exactly what the simple does...

Hi
You are right I've not read the detailed doc for the 02 nodes!
/rachid

CGTalk Moderation
05-07-2009, 01:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.