PDA

View Full Version : modern architecture

STRAT
05-08-2002, 01:58 PM
im kinda new in here so i thought i'd introduce meself with i piccy i did do. hello there everybody:)

http://www.strat.freewebspace.com/scp-01.jpg

Toeng.com
05-08-2002, 04:06 PM
Is that made with 3D Prog? or is it a photograph?
anyway, welcome aboard :)

STRAT
05-08-2002, 04:13 PM
modelled in Autocad, rendered in Viz 3 and comped in PS

RaoulDuke
05-08-2002, 05:38 PM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!! Impressive !!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:bounce:

diazgl
05-08-2002, 07:47 PM
damn nice!!! now, where's the CG? :D kidding...
very nice job, i think it rules, i would definitely pass it off as real. Be careful and watch for that shadow of yours though....I thought i'd help out with a few pointers:
Arrow 1-Note the "tilt" of the shadow of YOUR building, and compare it to that of Arrow 2

Arrow 2- Looking at other shadows, is a good way to determine where the light source is situated.

Arrow 3- At that distance, your shadow should have faded (blurred & faded, to be exact)

Arrow 4- There is a missing shadow there, except if I am missing something.

PS: Sorry about the quality of the image, i didn't know how to compress it without loosing quality. The illegible letter, is "4"

STRAT
05-08-2002, 08:51 PM
diazgl - thnx for that crit:)
you're right. shadows are my main concern here. only a couple of ppl (you included) have picked up on it. even i didnt fully appreciate it till i'd done the montage. too late now tho. you should see the amount of shadow/matte faces in the model. mind you we cant be perfect eh? client was (as still is) well chuffed:thumbsup:

here's another couple of shots from the portfolio:

http://www.strat.freewebspace.com/scp-02.jpg

SheepFactory
05-08-2002, 08:55 PM
WOW! :eek:

this is one of the best architectural comps i have ever seen.

A|i

hypercube
05-08-2002, 09:35 PM
very nice! I'll second the notes on the shadows, and also in the first image it seems like the contrast is a touch high on the building vs. the surroundings..so I'd either up the contrast on the backplate or dull out the building ever so slightly. Could be haze, smog, something is washing out the rest of it.

The second batch is very cool too..really nice lighting and mood on the standalone renders, too. I'm assuming it's the jpg-ing that's causing the banding and jaggies on the second comp?

Great stuff, look forward to more.

diazgl
05-09-2002, 11:56 AM
dont get me wrong, your work is awesome. I'm always picky on the details, about stuff i really like....:) About your new renders, i'm ditching your real life shot composite....cos, well, it seems that in order to make that house under your building (that funky old house) you used....and image? Plus, in this render, the proportions are totally off. The building looked at least twice as big in your first render. Plus, the *victorian* (is it?) style house on the front, looks flat. If you actually used an image, you could model a very simple model of that house, and use your image as texture on the model. It would look very realistic that way.

(...)
05-09-2002, 12:58 PM
I'm confused. Is the entire shot CG? Or just the big white building?

STRAT
05-09-2002, 01:28 PM
diazgl - i can assure you the proportions are spot on in all the images. i didn't mess with them from piccy to piccy.
if the proportions look off it's because of max's shitty cameras, not my messing. it's just perspectives playing sight tricks - not much i can do about it now.

and ur right - the victorian bit under the building is an opacity map. looks too flat but my deadline at the time only let me do it this way. in hindside a simple building shape with some thickness would suffice.

(...) - the cg bits are the big white building and all the shadows cast from it across the image.

diazgl
05-09-2002, 08:20 PM
Oh, well, it DOES look different though (to me at least), using a car from the pics as reference, i'd say that the first render displays the victorian house as about 10 salon cars length, whereas the new render at 4-5 max. Hmmm, since the deadline is over, you could might was well refine this (pesky little details) and add it in your portfolio, and I repeat myself, damn nice job.

flappy
05-09-2002, 08:44 PM
Wow!:thumbsup:

Grayson
05-09-2002, 11:20 PM
You already know what I think. :thumbsup:
Welcome to the forum.

stephen2002
05-10-2002, 09:59 PM
that is some good stuff! It took me a little while to figure out what was rendered in that scene. The only thing that I see that really sticks out as wrong is the old, victorian front on the building is flat. Can't tell from the straight-on shots, but it is clearly evident from the side.

Very good!

Relic9
05-13-2002, 11:18 AM
Strat that is kickass, best architectural CG i've seen yet.
Keep it up.

Btw is this Brazil or Scanline?

STRAT
05-13-2002, 01:28 PM
heya Zachar, long time no see:beer:

the top main image is viz scanline, and the other images are cinema 4d.

(cheap plug mode on)

also, i posted these images i done if anybody's interested?

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7842

(cheap plug mode off)

:p

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.