PDA

View Full Version : How to create DSLR camera lens (mental ray)?

artcreator
05-05-2009, 07:51 AM
Hi guys! Currently I'm modeling a SONY DSLR camera. Everything goes smooth until I stuck when comes to creating the shader for the camera lens.

As we know, camera lens has little bit of dispersion, however, I tried thousand of times and traveled the whole Google, yet still cannot get what I want.

Anyone has any idea how to create the glass(lens)? Thanks!

DigitalCrystal
05-06-2009, 05:41 AM
That's a fun project. Have you tried using an mia_material--using a glass preset? I know this sounds simple... you could set up your own refraction value to match the type of glass they use for the lens. If the geometry is relatively accurate and has front and back faces so that the light refracts properly, I imagine this would give you the look you would be going for. Do you have multiple lenses in the housing or just one exterior lens? If the geometry is missing, I could see how it would be hard to mimic the look with just shaders :shrug:

artcreator
05-06-2009, 06:52 AM
That's a fun project. Have you tried using an mia_material--using a glass preset? I know this sounds simple... you could set up your own refraction value to match the type of glass they use for the lens. If the geometry is relatively accurate and has front and back faces so that the light refracts properly, I imagine this would give you the look you would be going for. Do you have multiple lenses in the housing or just one exterior lens? If the geometry is missing, I could see how it would be hard to mimic the look with just shaders :shrug:
Ya. I did try with mia_materials, however, they don't work as what I expected, perhaps I did the wrong setting?

Now I'm trying with l_glass, and found out that the effect is quite likely with what I want. I think I would post some of my test render here and we find the solution together! :)

CGTalk Moderation
05-06-2009, 06:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.