PDA

View Full Version : FXWars! Lighthouse & the Wave!: Luke Olson, Forensic Animation

olson
05-05-2009, 04:41 AM
I've not participated in any FXWars! challenges before so this will be my first. Good luck to everyone participating!

WakenN
05-05-2009, 07:06 PM
o it's on Luke... i'm gonna put my new found houdini skills to the test lol.

olson
05-17-2009, 10:07 PM
Here's a video of my first attempt with a low resolution simulation, lighthouse_v002.mp4 (http://www.whenpicsfly.com/tool/cgtalk/fxwars/lighthouse/lighthouse_v002.mp4). It might be too big of an area? Either way though it was fun. Also a screen of the models setup in Houdini, basicSetup.png (http://www.whenpicsfly.com/tool/cgtalk/fxwars/lighthouse/basicSetup.png). Next step for me is to shrink the simulation area to more around the lighthouse and setup the procedural foam and mist. Higher resolution simulation will come after that.

brjig
05-18-2009, 05:02 AM
just a few suggestions

u already mentioned a higher resolution but what you can try is add a bit more water to the scene, by that i mean, lower the sea level/ground down, so theres a lot more depth of the ocean, and with that depth you can add more water.

-but what you can do, is push the plane closer to the lighthouse, you end it too early, so the water drops on the rocks and explodes before it gets near the lighthouse.

-lower the internal pressure and increase the external preasure - the water explodes a lot.

what is ur density and viscosity at?

shanshore
05-18-2009, 10:28 AM
olson,
Your wip simulation is very nice, especially the interaction between the particles and the geometry. Good planning on the setup.
Im curious to know how r u gonna avoid the collision with the side walls. Or may be those will go out of shot-camera...

olson
05-18-2009, 04:47 PM
just a few suggestions

u already mentioned a higher resolution but what you can try is add a bit more water to the scene, by that i mean, lower the sea level/ground down, so theres a lot more depth of the ocean, and with that depth you can add more water.

-but what you can do, is push the plane closer to the lighthouse, you end it too early, so the water drops on the rocks and explodes before it gets near the lighthouse.

-lower the internal pressure and increase the external preasure - the water explodes a lot.

what is ur density and viscosity at?

I'll work with the proportions for the next iteration as well, good call. Since there's such a large volume of fluid I don't think reducing the internal pressure and raising the external pressure is a good idea, its nice for splashes smaller scale things. Or maybe just on the secondary splashes but not the main ocean body of water. Cheers!

olson
05-18-2009, 04:49 PM
olson,
Your wip simulation is very nice, especially the interaction between the particles and the geometry. Good planning on the setup.
Im curious to know how r u gonna avoid the collision with the side walls. Or may be those will go out of shot-camera...

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not worried about collisions with the walls since its a forensic animation, probably going to be rendered from an orthographic view anyway. If there are funky splashes and things that show up in the end I can always remove those with Python or just slightly shrink the meshed area to clip the edges. Cheers!

sparrowhead
05-18-2009, 05:09 PM
Nice one Luke,

I like the nice crashing waves you've managed to get, are you going to be doing the spray in RF too?

Chris

olson
05-18-2009, 08:46 PM
Nice one Luke,

I like the nice crashing waves you've managed to get, are you going to be doing the spray in RF too?

Chris

Indeed the spray will be done in RealFlow. Not sure how everything will come together for rendering yet, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Cheers!

brjig
05-19-2009, 02:10 AM
I'll work with the proportions for the next iteration as well, good call. Since there's such a large volume of fluid I don't think reducing the internal pressure and raising the external pressure is a good idea, its nice for splashes smaller scale things. Or maybe just on the secondary splashes but not the main ocean body of water. Cheers!

the reason i say that is because ur water is blowing up way too much, usually, water will shoot straight up like that is if it hits something straight on, but ur wave is falling to the ground from the top. so the water blows outwards not upwards.

if your wave hit the lighthouse straight on and then it blew upwards, thats fine, but your wave is falling on the rocks, and it shooting straight up higher than the lighthouse itself.

i suggested that ur internal pressure is lower than ur external, so you reduce that explosion effect.

olson
05-24-2009, 06:33 AM
Hmmm, I might have gone a little overboard with the wave. Here's what it looks like right now, wave_v007.png (http://www.whenpicsfly.com/tool/cgtalk/fxwars/lighthouse/wave_v007.png). Not sure if I'll have time to finish this one out, especially the rendering but I'll do what I can. Cheers!

BlenderFan
05-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Yeah, it looks more like a water monster than a wave at the moment. Still, I'd love to see it in motion. Keep at it.

Cheers and God bless.

danielito
05-25-2009, 01:32 PM
looks great.. but how you render this??

olson
06-12-2009, 06:33 AM
I won't make any excuses, but this is where I've gotten with it (unfortunately its not finished). The file is about 14.2 MB so you might want to download and save it rather than watch it in the browser, v007_preview_side_persp.mp4 (http://www.whenpicsfly.com/tool/cgtalk/fxwars/lighthouse/v007_preview_side_persp.mp4). It was a fun challenge but next time around I need to dedicate more time to working with it at home. Cheers!

jispro
06-12-2009, 07:16 AM
looks great, i hope you end it :)

ChrisBore
06-12-2009, 08:17 AM
Nice one luke,

That is one monster wave! I've been having the same problems with time etc,

Hope you get it finished!

Take it easy,

Chris

CGTalk Moderation
06-12-2009, 08:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.