PDA

View Full Version : Exact halves for faces

krisippa
07-16-2003, 02:34 AM
Lets say you are working on a polygon face. and you have modeled half the face to your liking so the modeling phase is finished. Now, for the sake of the question, on to BLENDSHAPING.

First blendshape is, say, a blink. Now here is the question.

How do you get both sides of the face to have the exact same blink. That is, not which method (clusters, moving verts etc) but how, once youve modeled the target blendshape do you get the other side of teh face to have the same blink.

I tried scaling it negative 1 on X axis, but the face when blendshaped just inverts itself.

Anyone out there know the answer. It seems so simple so maybe im missin something. Thanks.

Dean

Doogie
07-16-2003, 03:15 AM
assuming your using Maya...

Blend shapes look at the vert numbers, so scaling in -X doesn't work.

Ive heard the only solutions to this are manually duplicate mesh and snap it to mesh scaled in -X. They have plugins that automates this.

http://www.highend3d.com/maya/mel/ search for blend shape

-Paul

loked
07-16-2003, 09:28 AM
Personally I wouldnt go with this method. Reason's being that you need to combine your mesh at some point and perfect symmetry in faces never looks right. You should always try and get a bit of irregularity.

I combine the geometry and make blends for the whole face. I read on CGtalk about someone skinning their face while it was still in halves. This is a huge no no!! :thumbsdow You will get a terrible seam down the middle.

later:wavey:
loked

krisippa
07-16-2003, 05:37 PM
Ya i know that faces arent exact, and i dont plan on making each blendshape symetrical. But for the blink and say, some other eye things, i would rather get the symetry.

Thanks for the heads up with the texturing though. I was modeling the head as a half but now its a whole face and seamless, so it smoothed. Thanks though.

Guess there is no way to do this, but hard work.
sucky

thanksk.
Dean

Atwooki
07-16-2003, 06:20 PM
If you really need exact symmetry, (can always be randomised later, then take a look at the:

bodyShape mel scripts, by Ragnar Brynj˙lfsson

there are others available on highend3d.com also ;)

Atwooki

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.