PDA

View Full Version : Trying to learn - give some critique please!

Vilperi
05-03-2009, 08:54 PM
Hi! I wan't to improve my animating skills. Please tell me what you think. It's a simple run cycle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbk9bw4moPo&feature=channel_page

stuartb
05-04-2009, 09:54 AM
Excellent work here! Very cool rig.

Few comments for ya:
- First, the left leg push off looks wrong. I see that you are stretching it quite a bit, which is fine, but I think the push off pose needs to be up on the toes rather than flat-foot. I think stretching and snapping the leg back to size is kind of cheating the weight.
- Watch the arc on the left foot as well as it pushing off the ground. Right now it looks like it's going straight up instead of forward in an arc.

- Right leg contact pose eases too much in before the right foot hits the ground. Look at the spacing. As he's falling he shouldn't ease in. Remember the bouncing ball. As it's falling the spacing gets greater and greater until contact with the ground is made. Right now you have something like this: the | are foot pose keyframes

|------|--------|-------------|------------------------|----|(contact)|

Where as it should look something like this:

|------|--------|------------------|------------------------|(contact)|

Hopefully that made sense :D

In any case, these are very nit-picky comments and its looking great overall. To take it another step further I think you could loosen up the fingers and get some nice overlap with them as well.

Great work!

Vilperi
05-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the great critique!

- First, the left leg push off looks wrong.

Yeah I noticed that too. Actually the first two steps are fine but then problems occur. I forgot to change the out of range type to loop for the foot controls.

Vilperi
05-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Ok here's the latest iteration. I think I ruined the arms.

http://revver.com/video/1644522/running-monkey/

CGTalk Moderation
05-09-2009, 04:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.