PDA

View Full Version : The best LW work of 2003...What works, do you think should be shown at the LW booth?

RobertoOrtiz
07-16-2003, 01:17 AM
SIGGRAPH is around the corner and I would to see what you guys think is the best LW work of 2003 (so far).

Of course it would be sweet if Newtek actually showed some of it at their booth...(if they can get the permissions)

So nominate your favorite images/animations/vfx footage.

-Roberto

takkun
07-16-2003, 02:06 AM
TV/Film:

Area 51 - Children of Dune
Digital Domain - David Fincher Adidas commercial
Computer Cafe - Panic Room, Spy Kids II
Zoic - Firefly
Eden FX - Enterprise

Games:

Studio Gigante - Tao Feng
I.D. - Doom 3

Freelance and Independent:

Zero Gravity
Lemonade
Partizan Midi-Minuit
Ghost Warrior
Voices of a Distant Star

I know I'm forgetting a lot of stuff, there's just too many things that should be shown off.

mattc
07-16-2003, 03:40 AM
How's about some bits of Star Trek: Nemesis. Very recognizable. :)

Regards
M.

lwbob
07-16-2003, 06:29 AM
So nominate your favorite images/animations/vfx footage.

Anything that isn't more than three years old for a and drop the cartoon crap below 40% of the material.

Alias constantly blows NewTek away for high profile content. The problem is that Alias usually has a exclusive agreement on promoting footage. ie not having R2 in last years stuff on NT's stage but showing it at Alias.

Show some Unreal stuff, get Nemo stuff that was done in LW. (modeling)

Last year felt like they were showing off LW5.6 features.

E_Moelzer
07-16-2003, 07:15 AM
In addition to those mentioned above:
Music- videos:
Strange Engine: "Hero", Spider Man Soundrack, Chad Kroeger featuring Joesie Scott.
FeatureFilm: Anything by UFO will be great.
Games: Axis Animation: Tomb Raider - Angel of Darkness
Make sure to show some stuff by Conti- Films. First Flight is little older by now but a must show bad as trailer.
CU
Elmar

comanche
07-16-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by lwbob
Anything that isn't more than three years old for a and drop the cartoon crap below 40% of the material....

Couldn't agree more. The last LW flyer I recieved with the DFX+ package showed nearly nothing but cartoons, cartoons, cartoons.

20% would be enough IMO ;)

Cheers,
Andreas

Celshader
07-16-2003, 08:55 AM
Anything that isn't more than three years old for a and drop the cartoon crap below 40% of the material.
Aw, c'mon, there's always room for the excellent celshading of Invader Zim--! I wanna see the opening animation shot where Zim's ship twirls through the Irkan Armada!

*loves Zim!* :love:

---

Just wanted to add these to the list:

Zoic's work on Angel and Buffy, the Vampire Slayer. The season finale of Buffy featured a nice shot or two depicting hordes of vampire warriors.

Madhouse Studios' LightWave-rendered cityscapes for Metropolis. Vividly imagined stuff.

RobertoOrtiz
07-16-2003, 02:38 PM
Some shots from Children of Dune would be awesome.
Hell bring one of their animators to give a presentation.

-R

Remi
07-16-2003, 02:50 PM
Wonderful Days...would be good...not all LW but I think it would count...I guess anything really....I like it all...except star trek.:shrug:

lwbob
07-17-2003, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by Celshader Aw, c'mon, there's always room for the excellent celshading of Invader Zim--! I wanna see the opening animation shot where Zim's ship twirls through the Irkan Armada!

That would be fine, but not fill the entire presentation with it. Even just showing Zim alone isn't going to be as impressive as the LOTR, Hulk, X2, underworld and T3 clips Alias will no doubt be showing.

I didn't get a chance to see a lot of ZIM but it looked like a good show. The problem is that a BUNCH of blockbuster movies will look better than a now cult TV show that got pulled.

gruvsyco
07-17-2003, 06:44 AM
That would be fine, but not fill the entire presentation with it. Even just showing Zim alone isn't going to be as impressive as the LOTR, Hulk, X2, underworld and T3 clips Alias will no doubt be showing.

I didn't get a chance to see a lot of ZIM but it looked like a good show. The problem is that a BUNCH of blockbuster movies will look better than a now cult TV show that got pulled.

Not to stray to far from topic here but... I would take cult status over blockbuster any day. Stuff like Heavy Metal and Rocky Horror Picture Show will probably be remembered forever... with the exception of maybe LOTR I doubt your little list of blockbusters will probably be remebered much beyond a week after DVD release.

Back on topic:
The Wonderful Days stuff looked pretty good.

But honestly... I'd rather see Newtek plug some of the artists that are regular contributors around here. There is some serious talent in our midst and in between all their time spent on perfecting their art, they somehow find time to visit the forums and share their little pearls of wisdom. Remi, Proton, Policarpo, Shade01, Celshader and Kreten all come to mind right off the top of my head although I'm sure if I really thought about it longer, I'd come up with more. Those are just the ones that have impacted me personally and my working with Lightwave.

JVitale
07-17-2003, 07:20 AM
Besides Area 51's Children of Dune....

I would like to see the guy who did the hordes of Vampires on Buffy. He calls it "the Poor Man's Massive"....It's on 3D World Magazine, but it would be nice to see a demo...

Ps...The LightWave Siggraph Meeting is on July 28...more details soon..

takkun
07-17-2003, 07:51 AM
Ps...The LightWave Siggraph Meeting is on July 28...more details soon.. Is this a Newtek event or a LA User Group event?

Miyazaki
07-17-2003, 02:45 PM
My favorite non-commercial LW work: Clive Barker Pinehead (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53674&perpage=15&highlight=hellraiser&pagenumber=1)

http://66.227.101.70/cwm/cwm/eek2.gif

lwbob
07-17-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by gruvsyco
Not to stray to far from topic here but... I would take cult status over blockbuster any day. Stuff like Heavy Metal and Rocky Horror Picture Show will probably be remembered forever... with the exception of maybe LOTR I doubt your little list of blockbusters will probably be remebered much beyond a week after DVD release.

They don't need to be remembered for more than two more weeks.

Lets say they decide to go with all the old cult stuff. All that shows is LW was used a long time ago and obviously isn't up to the task of current productions. By showing more current stuff is disproves that idea.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.