PDA

View Full Version : Can Cinema 4D export to Auto CAD?

cobc
04-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Hi people.

A guy who knew I did 3D modeling and Animation asked me if it was possible to create a 3D model for CAD which can then create a real life physical model of the 3D one.

I only use (and own a copy of) Cinema 4D and really have no idea if this is possible or not. Normally I do 3D stuff for animation and VFX and have kind of shied away from CAD and the like.
CAD is something I have absolutely zero experience in.

So I guess what I need to know is, is it possible to create a model in Cinema 4D, and have it export to a CAD program (and then have the CAD program hooked up to some machine which can create a real life model).

Can Cinema 4D export files effectively to CAD?
In my past experiences with exporting 3D files to other formats, I know lots of stuff/ data can be lost in translation.

vid2k2
04-30-2009, 12:30 PM
It all depends on the CAD app your friend has.
What types of files can he import ?

STL export may work for him, depends on what he has.

3D printing has been around a while now and is being done.

You might also do a search on the forum for 3D printing.
Edit: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=47&t=598177&highlight=model+printer

HTH till someone else with more direct experience chimes in.

neitrok
04-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Hello, you can export to dxf or 3ds from C4D and than open it in AutoCAD.
Jiri

artdude12
04-30-2009, 01:16 PM
C4D R11 has STL as an export option which is what most 3d printing/rapid prototyping places want. Just make sure your geometry is clean (use optimize), convert all n-gons to regular geometry.
I went round & round with one shop (4 revisions) till I got it right.
Oh, and it's best to contact the shop for their specs.
Who knows, you might even find an enlightened service out there that uses C4D
and they could do all the tweaks for you.

Good Luck.

threedaxiom
04-30-2009, 01:17 PM
Hi,

We have a 3D printer and I export models from C4D as .stl. Our 3D printer application software then imports the .stl and slices the model and allows for scale change among other options. The .stl format is common for rapid prototyping or steriolithography. So if your printer software accepts .stl you don't need a CAD application. We also generate .stl models from SolidWorks too.

bunter
04-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Its been years since I used it, but I thought AutoCAD imported DXF files, which you would need to to if you want to edit the model in CAD.

CGTalk Moderation
04-30-2009, 06:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.