PDA

View Full Version : License and limitations questions

MrRage
04-29-2009, 11:16 PM
Hey there,

Modo is really looking like a mature and well rounded package with all of the new ground covered in 401, especially for being in the price point its sold at. Still I just had a few questions that I was hopping you guys could help me out with.

1) Licensing, is the license locked to a machine via a license file or is it locked though a hardware key? Can modo be installed on two machines (desktop/laptop) but only really used one machine at a time. The floating license looks like it will do that but not sure if the other one will.

2) Modo looks to be weak in animation and have no dynamics. At least thats what it looks like. Still, animatio can be done in another application such as blender so this is not a big issue.

Cool thanks

MikeS369
05-02-2009, 08:49 PM
modo is licensed to the user and can be installed on multiple machines. However, if your comps are in an network you will only be able to use modo on one machine. You can render on multiple machines but you won't be able to work in modo if all machines are part of an network. The floating license will eliminate the network limitations of the individual user license.

Dynamics are not yet part of modo and as far as I know will not be included in 401.

I'm sure at some point you will be able to download a 401 demo which will help you with your decision.

Skarz
05-07-2009, 08:18 PM
To add to what MikeS369 said, you also get the ability to run the Windows and Mac versions under your user license (though not at the same time of course).

LemonNado
05-08-2009, 04:57 PM
Unlike other apps you cannot sell Modo again. Transfer is not possible. I'm caught in that update cycle since 101 and am still waiting for a product which is not blowing up a few times a day for various and unexpected reasons. When you have Modo you GOT Modo! You have to live with it.
Lemo

MrRage
05-08-2009, 05:03 PM
Well with all things in consideration I'm going to spend my software budget on a Quadro 4800 for my mac and just keep working on some in house software as well using other open source projects to fill the gaps. I appreciate the help

LemonNado
05-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Be careful with the super highend graphic adapters.... Research the card carefully. The gains are almost nil in real life. Neither Maya, nor Max, XSI, Modo, or C4D have prooven to us that they run better on a quattro or the AMD equivalent then on a 1GB gamer card. And not even the highend gamer cards. Middle of the road does the job. We use every tool available to gain an edge in render and modeling time. The super highend NVidia or AMD's are just not helping there. Tech support for the highend cards has also proven to be special... Of course... if you test them the 'right way' they are much much faster... But then again... I can prove that I can outrun a Corvette. In the woods... What really helps is 64Bit, memory, and multiple cores. And then Maya, Max, or C4D. All lead to the same results in slightly different ways with more or less agravation. But they all can lead to the same results. Modo is nice but I would use it as the sole app in the house.
Rainer

CGTalk Moderation
05-09-2009, 04:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.