PDA

View Full Version : Layering Colors Question

BUZZFX
04-29-2009, 10:18 PM
Hi, I have a sketch in photoshop. In the past I have set the sketch to "Multiply" and then painted the color on a separate layer, but I recently read that artist's set the painted layer to "Color" but it seems to make the colors too bright.

So what is the best method? Do Matte painters put the colors on different layers and set each layer to different effects or what do they do to layer colors?

Does anyone know where a good tutorial is on how to do this?

In your opinion what is the most common method to layer colors in Photoshop?

nickmarshallvfx
04-29-2009, 10:46 PM
I use a method more similar to Dusso in his first dvd. I prefer to paint than draw, so i do a rough drawing and then just create a layer straight over the top of the sketch and block in the shapes with solid paint and go from there. I rarely do detailed drawings as im not so much of a fan of working in line.
If i do happen to do a detailed drawing, ill put it as an overlay layer and make a painting layer underneath and block it in there. But again, as soon as ive got what i need from the drawing, off it goes, so i can start shaping the painting with large blocks of colour and tone, gradually getting more detailed until you reach the finish you are seeking.

Hope that helps...

Nick

BUZZFX
04-30-2009, 04:56 AM
Thanks Nick. Yeah I hear what your saying. Like you I never liked to do detailed drawings either but lately for whatever reason, maybe just needing a change, I have really gotten into doing detailed sketches and so now I am finding my old painting methods are not working so well.

I guess I may just have to set my drawing layer to multiply like before, but I remember seeing a tutorial somewhere where there was a method of laying down a grey tonal layer first and then painting "color" on a separate layer, but I just can't remember the method or find the tutorial. :)

eyecon
04-30-2009, 06:23 AM
Hey man, what are you trying to achieve? Is that like a straigth out sketch like comic book artwork where you can see out lines? If thats the case then, multiply for me is the best method.

If you erally think about it, its not the method thats important, its the final output. if you want to know more about bleding modes and thier effect, read this article : http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/glossary/ig/Blending-Modes/

CGTalk Moderation
04-30-2009, 06:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.