PDA

View Full Version : Renderman for Maya 3 almost there

elvis75k
04-29-2009, 02:59 PM
Don't know why, but now i feel better..
https://renderman.pixar.com/forum/eval/

TAVO
04-29-2009, 03:30 PM
mmm, any news on the new features ? examples ? canīt find any link.

cheebamonkey
04-29-2009, 03:30 PM
sucks they don't update their software as often as DNA (3Delight).

Ikaria
04-29-2009, 03:46 PM
sucks they don't update their software as often as DNA (3Delight).

Perhaps I'm showing my age, but I wouldn't mind all software updates slowing down a tad --
with all the various plugins and interdependecies out there the annual release of a major package like Maya isn't really fully usable in a pipeline until 6 months later anyway. In case of something with as small a user base as Renderman for Maya, it probably doesn't make much sense for them to do it more often...

Venkman
04-29-2009, 05:05 PM
The buy now button doesn't go anywhere.

I'd love to see a feature set. :)

aesnakes
04-29-2009, 05:36 PM
I just wish maya would allow backwards compatibility with plugins. It seems that Autodesk updates maya every year and then you need a new version for most of your plugins.....unless this has changed but I know that when you get Renderman Studio the plugins are designed for your version of maya....8.5, 2008, etc

I am excited to see what RMFM 3 has in store

Buexe
04-29-2009, 05:43 PM
I don`t mind their "slow" development. For me the product is working as it is, like here (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=132&t=757728)

But from reading in the Pixar forums I`m guessing RfM 3 will be something like this:
- Maya 2009 support
- Maya 64bit support on Windows
- gamma nodes supported, for all those linear rendering folks

I`d love to see:
- micropolygons/subdivs without smoothed UVs (smoothed UVs cause artifacts on highres displacement maps)
- more robust texture update mechanisms

AND
Let renderman render poly proxies! It`s your own patent in there anyway, guys! This is really something that fell under someone`s radar. Not being able to render pixar subdivs with Pixar`s renderman, nothing existential but kind of weird it isn`t supported.

But generally it does what I need to do in a rasonable amount of time. I hope that they`ll continue this product for a looonng time to come! :wavey:

fezz
04-29-2009, 10:10 PM
AND
Let renderman render poly proxies! It`s your own patent in there anyway, guys! This is really something that fell under someone`s radar. Not being able to render pixar subdivs with Pixar`s renderman, nothing existential but kind of weird it isn`t supported.

But generally it does what I need to do in a rasonable amount of time. I hope that they`ll continue this product for a looonng time to come! :wavey:

How are subdivs not supported in RfM?

Anyway, it's a fantastic product and the quality is always top notch. When I freelance I use this to get speedy renders out of Maya...SSS, displacements all render quickly on one machine.

I'd like to see more varied price structure from them as the Studio license is pretty expensive for a freelancer just get Slim and rib export, but I'm excited to see what's new in v3.

cheebamonkey
04-30-2009, 12:57 AM
Perhaps I'm showing my age, but I wouldn't mind all software updates slowing down a tad --
with all the various plugins and interdependecies out there the annual release of a major package like Maya isn't really fully usable in a pipeline until 6 months later anyway. In case of something with as small a user base as Renderman for Maya, it probably doesn't make much sense for them to do it more often...

I don't think the renderman community is that small. Also, allowing access to the developers directly who consistantly update their software with new features and bug fixes is the way to go. Why do you think companies like Apple or Autodesk get a lot of crap? They take for ever to fix issues. 3Delight had a Maya 2009 compatible version within hours or days of its release and since then have fixed and added features to their renderman-compliant renderer. For instance, they've already released 39 separate patches since their initial release of 8.01. I'm just hoping Pixar starts becoming a bit more receptive like that.

fezz
04-30-2009, 01:01 AM
Why is it that just about every thread regarding Pixar Renderman has someone pop up to talk up 3Delight ad nauseum? :shrug:

I don't think anyone even asked....

Buexe
04-30-2009, 05:14 AM
How are subdivs not supported in RfM?

- create a polyMesh
- hit Prox>SubdivProxy
- try to render the highres Mesh with RfM
- doesn`t show in rendering
- delete the history
- object can be rendered
- wtf?

Ptichat
04-30-2009, 06:52 AM
- create a polyMesh
- hit Prox>SubdivProxy
- try to render the highres Mesh with RfM
- doesn`t show in rendering
- delete the history
- object can be rendered
- wtf?

- create a polyMesh
- Attribut Editor
- polysurfaceshape
- hit add renderman Attribut
- subdivision scheme

;)

Buexe
04-30-2009, 07:41 AM
- create a polyMesh
- Attribut Editor
- polysurfaceshape
- hit add renderman Attribut
- subdivision scheme

;)

Thanks, but I knew that one already. The problem with this is as I said earlier that it smooths the UVs. This can cause artifacts along UV seams on organic shapes. Exporting a displacement map with smoothed UVs from ZBrush doesn`t help either, because there seems to be differences in the smoothing, which again causes artufacts along UV seams. That is why I thought: great I simply use a smoothProxy because you can turn off UV smoothing there, that`s how I found out that the smoothProxy node is not being rendered ( or the mesh it outputs). Workaround: put the smoothedProxy and the Zbrsuh sculpt into a blendshape on a new node, this can be rendered. Anyway, it`s no big deal, but would be logical if they would just let it render.

cheebamonkey
04-30-2009, 01:00 PM
Why is it that just about every thread regarding Pixar Renderman has someone pop up to talk up 3Delight ad nauseum? :shrug:

I don't think anyone even asked....

It's understandable people would compare the two since they are renderman-compliant renderers and work within Maya. I'm sorry you don't like comparisons like that. I suspect there will be more comparisons once the details of RFM 3.0 are released as people will want to know what the new features are and how it compares to product x or z, so be prepared with a barf bag! It's all good. It's an exciting time to be in 3D and have choices.

I'll download RFM 3 when it's available.

CGTalk Moderation
04-30-2009, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.