PDA

View Full Version : MIA Round Corners shader --> renderman

ndeboar
04-29-2009, 09:09 AM
Hey,

I would love to make something like the round corners shader for renderman. Are there any docs on that shader that go more indepth on how it works? does Mental Ray release the source for there shaders?

Cheers,

Nick

lunat1k
04-30-2009, 08:00 AM
3delight has a round edges geometry attribute, you could also take a look at this discussion, past most of page one and the offtopic there is some info there:
http://www.3delight.com/en/modules/PunBB/viewtopic.php?id=1172

ndeboar
04-30-2009, 08:56 AM
yeah, had a read through that before. We are using prman anyway, and that process only smooths hard edges, im looking something that more blobs objects together.

Thanks though ;)

Nick

mestela
05-14-2009, 12:07 AM
mentalray have patented their roundcorner shader, so you probably won't get access to source. i was amazed to hear the patent was granted considering i saw bevel shaders for max at least 10 years ago...

soulburn3d
05-14-2009, 12:27 AM
Never underestimate the stupidity of the patent office :)

Mind you, maybe they patented their specific technique, not the idea of doing it. Otherwise, I am not allowed to place a bump map on the corners of any object :)

- Neil

jupiterjazz
05-15-2009, 06:47 AM
Never underestimate the stupidity of the patent office :)

...and of the company that submit such patents... one word: mental.

CGTalk Moderation
05-15-2009, 06:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.