PDA

View Full Version : Need help fixing jaggies

SlipAway
04-29-2009, 07:44 AM
I'm hoping some experts out there can help me figure out how to fix these jagged edges on my render.

Using Maya 2009 SP 1a, I'm rendering at Min=0, Max=2 sample level, anti-alias contrast at .02, mental ray.

This chrome trim just will not smooth out. It's a mia_material_x, chrome preset and I've checked on anti-alias contrast override on it to Min=2, Max=4 samples. No matter what I adjust in samples or contrast the jags don't change at all. Can anyone offer some solutions or suggestions to smooth this out?

derik
04-29-2009, 10:31 AM
Just of the top of my head , ...
nr of Reflection blur rays?
Mitchell filter?
What is your multi pixel filter size?
If you are using an area light , is the nr of samples pushed up?

When I have time , I'll Test some stuff & let you know

SlipAway
04-29-2009, 05:22 PM
Hi, here's the settings you asked for:

-Mitchell filter size of 4.0
-area lights high samples (6,6), low samples (2,2), high sample limit 2. can you explain to me why there are 2 fields for the high and low samples on these?

-on the reflection blur rays, all i could find was in render globals, reflection blur limit at 1. on the chrome itself under Advanced Reflection I have Max Trace Depth of 2, Cutoff Threshold .01. I could not find anything similar to Reflection Blur as in a Maya shader.

Thanks!

InfernalDarkness
04-29-2009, 05:28 PM
...there are settings for your glossiness and blur in the reflection as well as refraction areas. Perhaps there aren't enough glossy samples for your metal material? If you want a cleaner look, turn glossiness all the way up, and it won't sample blurry reflections/refractions. This is all controlled from the material Attributes, but there is also a global quality setting for blurry reflections/refractions in the Render Settings. I believe it's in the raytracing quality section.

SlipAway
04-29-2009, 06:01 PM
...there are settings for your glossiness and blur in the reflection as well as refraction areas. Perhaps there aren't enough glossy samples for your metal material? If you want a cleaner look, turn glossiness all the way up, and it won't sample blurry reflections/refractions. This is all controlled from the material Attributes, but there is also a global quality setting for blurry reflections/refractions in the Render Settings. I believe it's in the raytracing quality section.

I tried raising glossiness on the chrome to 1, and there was a slight improvement. It makes sense to use that since blurry reflections on chrome, on such a small piece really doesn't matter. By the way I did play with the glossy samples from 0-20 and they seemed to make no difference.

I see the Reflection Blur Limit in Render Globals, it's at 1. My understanding is that MR will use the smaller of that setting and the setting in the material.

CurtJ
05-03-2009, 09:15 AM
Have you tried supersampling? Might not be practical for your needs - Render your image at least twice the size you need then reduce it to the required size with an appropriate interpolation method (photoshop's bicubic smooth maybe).

The two fields on the area light high & low samples are for X and Y (in screen space).

colarimj
08-14-2009, 04:18 AM
I'm having the same problem with my renders, and I'm using chrome too. Were you able to fix it?

I'm using Maya 2008, im lighting my scene with Image Based lighting. I've attemped everything I can think of as far as sampling goes. Any ideas? Please and thank you!

Here is a screenshot of it
http://welovemike.tv/dyna_c_v03_0164.png

techmage
08-14-2009, 05:35 AM
Switch your framebuffer to 4x8

colarimj
08-14-2009, 12:10 PM
It is on this, perhaps there is something I can do with User Frame buffers to add additional rendering quality?

3d165p05
08-16-2009, 10:39 AM
Have you find the solution?
If you are rendering in floating point without tonemapping via lens shader than it might be caused by overbrightness in that area.
check this thread
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=87&t=228917&page=1&pp=15&highlight=linear+image+format

I remember reading some thread on same topic, where Master Zap explained that in depth, but I can't find it anymore.

colarimj
08-17-2009, 02:19 AM
Thanks, they seem to be discussing some very advance stuff that I'm slowly translating. It should be helpful. I'm attempting different frame buffers now.

3d165p05
08-17-2009, 02:32 AM
Hi, I founded that thread with Master Zap's explanation!
It's very useful, informative and.... almost english ;)
And even if it's not solution for your problem, it's very good to know :shrug:

colarimj
08-17-2009, 03:09 AM
Cool, can you link it for me please?

3d165p05
08-17-2009, 06:10 AM
Oh, sorry, I forgoted to paste! :surprised

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=543646

live long & prosper

CGTalk Moderation
08-17-2009, 06:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.