PDA

View Full Version : Horizon appearing through builings in renders?

martinf430
04-28-2009, 04:28 PM
Hi guys, im posting this on behalf of a friend

Im having a bit of trouble doing an animation atm. I have added an image map as a sea and i have buildings built on that sea.http://fc09.deviantart.com/fs45/f/2009/118/b/9/Water_Animation_Still_by_vicious111.jpg

This is a quick still. As you can see i have added a sky tracer but for a reason i can't understand the horizon is appearing through the buildings and is the same for every frame rendered.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions as how to fix this as iv'e been trying for days with no result.

Baltazaar
04-29-2009, 12:04 AM
Flip some polygons, maybe?

fishhead
04-29-2009, 09:54 AM
hmmm, to me it looks more like a reflection rather than a see-through...
What are the reflection settings on the windows?

Its a bit odd that it seems to line up with the horizonline, tho...

aeres
04-29-2009, 12:09 PM
Looks like reflections to me too.

Have you tried another angle ie, from the bottom of the tower looking up, or from the top looking down?

ViciousScotsman
04-29-2009, 03:06 PM
hey guys thanks for the replies. When i change the reflection settings the result still seems to be the same. The problem only seems to occur when the sea image is behind the building. As i lower or raise the camera the horizon line moves up or down and i can still see the horizon line through the buildings, sort of looks like the buildings themselves are filling up with water :D

Still can't sort it out, i set the reflection of blackened windows of the closest building to 0% and that stopped, unfortunately the other windows still have the same effect. The horizon appears through the tree type building in the background also, through the window panes and the structural metal texturing aswell.

MorBioS
04-29-2009, 03:51 PM
Double side on Surface????

Cgkoko
04-30-2009, 08:44 AM
are you using fog?

kevman3d
05-05-2009, 01:13 AM
Hmm...

You'll notice that the reflections don't show that the backdrop is perfect through them, so its likely its not the backdrop 'showing through' - otherwise that would look possibly much clearer then that.

I'm also guessing things aren't transparent either, give I can't see the grass or other building through the windows. Otherwise I might have said it was the backdrop with some kind of refraction... I don't think this is the case.

A trick to try to test its not reflection - Create a large flat plane with a basic texture, and sit it behind the camera (make it huge so the buildings can reflect it) and see if you can see it in the reflections.

If you get a mix of reflected poly plus that backdrop also, perhaps there's a real issue here, but if not, I'd say that its purely a case of the angle of reflection here... Maybe... :shrug:

BTW, I would suggest maybe throwing an incidence angle on your reflectivity here - It'll look nicer for windows.

Just my 2c worth. :D

CGTalk Moderation
05-05-2009, 01:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.