PDA

View Full Version : Anybody up for an omelette?

CourtJester
07-15-2003, 08:05 AM
Experimenting with an idea on how to get translucent lighting of a different color than that for diffuse got me this result. This is the first stage of my own, less appetizing version of this image (http://www.splutterfish.com/sf/gallery_view.php?photo_id=154&screen=2&cat_id=2&action=images) . My eggs are a bit more ripe...

http://www.altyna.com/examples/eggs.jpg

DOF and animation of water spray coming up!

Stoehr
07-15-2003, 08:20 AM
Wow, simple and beautiful. Very nice. Keep us updated.

Zarathustra
07-15-2003, 05:20 PM
I like the vein pattern. I've tried on numerous occasions to try and get a small scale vein pattern with procedurals but I never could do it. I eventually worked out a basic, all-purpose vein tile but after all the time I invested before, I can surely appreciate a good vein pattern when I see one now.

Any chance I could see your tile. I'll show you mine if you show me yours
:) . You can slap a big watermark over it.

Well, I'm curious to see what you're planning with these eggies. They look empty inside.

Ayreon
07-15-2003, 08:53 PM
It looks great and very disturbing at the same time, I like it :thumbsup: Keep us updated with the water spray and DOF versions!

Ayreon

CourtJester
07-15-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Zarathustra
I like the vein pattern. I've tried on numerous occasions to try and get a small scale vein pattern with procedurals but I never could do it.

The key is: texture displacement. The veins are, well, Veins textures displaced with Turbulence. There are no image maps in use here (yet), so I can easily post the object once it's finalized so everybody can see how I did it.

You are right about the eggs looking empty, a co-worker here suggested that I put some moving dark shapes inside.

Thing is, this has gone completely into left field from the inspiration source... it's gone "Alien" on me, so does the "nice" water make any sense now? Mucus or membrane almost makes more sense, with a vertebrate embryo shape darkly visible...

Edit: I know, the spray can be some substance other than water... and it should drip in rather than be sprayed, as from wet/organic surrounding environment.

Dreamwave
07-15-2003, 09:38 PM
wow, great, it would be cool to see some kind of dinosaur inside it ;)

Zarathustra
07-15-2003, 09:40 PM
Huh....well I'll have to wait and see what you post.

I think your lighting is making it creepy. You could put a baby chick in there all curled up and it would look creepy.

Put a Teddy Bear - no, Teddy Ruxpin or that bear from the Snuggle fabric soft commercial. They both creep me out. Creepier to think of a horde of them waiting to hatch.

You don't have to go all Geiger to be creepy. :p

HowardM
07-16-2003, 12:27 AM
Displace textures Zara!
its the coolest latest thing about LW!
:p
no really, its not a hidden feature, just not well known...
take a nice vien texture, add a Turbulence layer, change its blending mode to Texture Displacement and watch those veins change from horrible sharp slate viens to realistic curved ones!
go ahead, play around!
:)
but you already knew that didnt ya?!

..I think the LW8 baby should be in the egg!
what will it be when it hatches?!

CourtJester
07-16-2003, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by HowardM
take a nice vien texture, add a Turbulence layer, change its blending mode to Texture Displacement and watch those veins change from horrible sharp slate viens to realistic curved ones!
go ahead, play around!

But, remember that displacement layers will displace ALL layers ABOVE them (except for gradients and, for some reason, UV maps), unlike alpha which alphas the texture immediately below it. I was :banghead: about that for a time....

sorry, no updates now, very late day, time for bed... will be back at it tomorrow night...

Zarathustra
07-16-2003, 04:19 PM
I don't know much at all about Texture Displacement Blending. Any attempts I've made with it were confusing and I can't get how to control it.
Seeing this vein pattern at least gives me an incentive to play, knowing there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

HowardM
07-16-2003, 04:28 PM
oh man, its easy and fun! here, download these presets (www.3dink.com/lwpresets.zip) ...throw them in your presets folder, use as a surface and tweak in VIPER!
:)
I started fooling around and made some weird with envelopes!

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.