PDA

View Full Version : Wonderful Days.

fastfinger
07-15-2003, 06:14 AM
New great korean animation.
They used 3D,2D(cel),miniature.
And THEY USED LW FOR 3D.
Proton you have to interview these guys.
Watch this trailer first.
http://wonderfuldays.co.kr/movie/eng_teaser_trailer_high.wmv

http://wonderfuldays.co.kr/

http://wonderfuldays.co.kr/community/icon/member_image_box/1/9.RM_INDI_IMG2.jpg
http://wonderfuldays.co.kr/community/icon/member_image_box/1/9.RM_INDI_IMG4.jpg

The 3D part`s done by Independence(korean post production).
http://www.independence.co.kr/korean/index.asp
They are known for their in-house project EggCola that you might have watched at the last years SIGGRAPH theater.

http://www.independence.co.kr/korean/featured/featured.asp

Infinity3d4life
07-15-2003, 06:30 AM
Coincedence that i'm downloading the trailers, and the making of video right now... I have been trying to find more info on this awesome anime for awhile now...

Fasty
07-15-2003, 06:44 AM
I hope this film is as good as it looks and goes on to be a roaring success!

Triple G
07-15-2003, 06:50 AM
Maybe it's just me, but it seems strange how there's such a difference in style and level of detail between the 2d and 3d elements. It's a thin rope to balance upon, I suppose. Nevertheless, I'll be looking forward to checking this out once it's released. Looks really interesting. :thumbsup:

kukukiki74
07-15-2003, 07:12 AM
it looks ok... I think...

One thing about Korean animation work is that... it is heavily influenced by Japanese... I mean heavy.... I am not trying to put down Korean animation... I am Korean myself, but I have genuine love for the Japanese CG work and anime and animation work. The work looks okay... but it still lacks something... it is missing something that are present in Japanese and US work.

In my opinion, Asian countries... with the exception of Japan is still trying very hard to climb to the top dominated by mostly US and Japan, and this piece of work is not an exception.

After watching some movies... and demoes... it made me wonder... because this work doesn't have any uniqueness to it that would distinguish this piece as something that is done by Koreans... It just looks like another animation done by Japan. Let's examine the work like Monster Inc, Toy Story, Treaure Planet, Shrek, Final Fantasy, and other CG movies or animation... You can tell that they are done by US....

You get what I am trying to get to? Korea has long long long way to go.... Don't get me wrong. I am just saying that it has no soul....

Celshader
07-15-2003, 07:54 AM
Last I heard, the artists working on this film worked on a lot of anime outsourced to them from Japan. Maybe that's why the artwork looks familiar..? :D

Me, I'm in love with the beautiful drawings and ink-and-paint for the characters. Look at the beauty of this eye (http://wonderfuldays.co.kr/download/new_still_image.php?img=still/size550/c_6.jpg), for example. Gorgeous ink-and-paint, and it suggests ways to color-texture-map a celshaded characters' eyes. Look at this elegant depiction of a character's face (http://wonderfuldays.co.kr/download/new_still_image.php?img=still/size550/c_9.jpg), or the lovely setting of this stained-glass backdrop (http://wonderfuldays.co.kr/download/new_still_image.php?img=still/size550/c_5.jpg). I love anime, and I love Western animation, but I don't think I've seen anything quite like Wonderful Days before.

I hope this film gets released in the United States.

:love:

takkun
07-15-2003, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by kukukiki74
One thing about Korean animation work is that... it is heavily influenced by Japanese... I mean heavy.... I am not trying to put down Korean animation... I am Korean myself, but I have genuine love for the Japanese CG work and anime and animation work. The work looks okay... but it still lacks something... it is missing something that are present in Japanese and US work.

In my opinion, Asian countries... with the exception of Japan is still trying very hard to climb to the top dominated by mostly US and Japan, and this piece of work is not an exception.

After watching some movies... and demoes... it made me wonder... because this work doesn't have any uniqueness to it that would distinguish this piece as something that is done by Koreans... It just looks like another animation done by Japan. Let's examine the work like Monster Inc, Toy Story, Treaure Planet, Shrek, Final Fantasy, and other CG movies or animation... You can tell that they are done by US....

You get what I am trying to get to? Korea has long long long way to go.... Don't get me wrong. I am just saying that it has no soul.... I'm also korean (well, half of my genes are) and I agree and disagree with you. It does carry the "anime" style that was created by the Japanese but it doesn't suprise me since a great deal of Japanese animation is sent to Korea. I'm sure that most of the work that Korean animation studios complete is for Japanese clients. So it doesn't surprise me at all that this is a Korean "anime" film and not a Korean "totally new style that no one has created" film. And I wouldn't be so brash to say that something doesn't have a soul just from watching a couple short clips of a full length film. I'll save judgement till I've seen it.

kukukiki74
07-15-2003, 09:06 AM
Takkun:

I wasn't being brash by saying it didn't have a soul... if Korean and Chinese are good at something is copying... It is true. I just want to see something different from everything out there. Koreans have lots of potential, and I am part of and owner of lightwave cafe in Daum Communications. Something different... something that would set us apart from the rest of the world... Something unique... something that has soul that sets apart from Japanese and American work. Something that people will recognize as made in Korea.

I never said that the movie didn't have a soul. Read it right takkun because I am little ticked off. The soul in human is what makes us unique... and different... I was merely referring to that.... So... don't be so brash in judging me dude.

Celshader:

Usally the purpose of outsourcing is for the cheap price... That still doesn't mean that the studio cannot produce something different from their outsourced work. If this movie is similar to the ones that they worked for their Japanese clients... they would be mrerely mimicking...

I have seen better work done by many countless Japanese anime titles... and American titles... The quality of work done in this work would be almost equal to the cg movies done in the Final Fantasy 8... I am a gamer, game programmer and 3d enthusiast... I love anime... I have seen almost everything.... and this movie failed to impress me. It is just simple as that... Compare this to Finaly Fantasty X or X2? This movie won't survive... I think Korea is still several years behind...

For the matter... compare this movie to the cg movies in Warcraft III and Warcraft III Frozen Throne... American CG work rules... You want to talk about the beauty of the eye? Take a look at the crow's beautiful reflecting eye in the opening sequence of the Warcraft3... You will know what I mean... Watch the hellscream lunch his axe at the demon...

No matter what... Korea and China will always be behind Japan and America... That's the sad truth...

Celshader
07-15-2003, 09:26 AM
I just want to see something different from everything out there...

...I have seen almost everything.... and [Wonderful Days] failed to impress me.

Hm. :sad: Well, have you had a chance to see Tree of Palme (http://www.akadot.com/article/article-treeofpalme.html)..? If so, what did you think of it? If not...check it out if you get the chance. If you're looking for something different, that film might fit the bill. Its story pulled genuine tears out of me when I saw it in the theater, plus it takes place in a richly imagined world.

EnergyMan
07-15-2003, 09:26 AM
This looks great! Looking forward to seeing this some day.

Cman
07-15-2003, 01:55 PM
I hope this movie at least gets DVD released here in the states before too long. I would hate to wait 3 years to see it.
I love the look of those trailers!

fastfinger - where did you find those behind-the-scenes images?

RobinOberg
07-15-2003, 02:24 PM
korean anime sure has its own style, often very HQ (like "my girl mari" and the pc games with the distinct korean style) :)
nice to see it spread (but i sure hope it doesnt get popularitized ;)

didnt know they used LW, but seeing as LW is the best tool for cel-shading and so on, its no wonder :thumbsup:

i mean, both "hoshi no koe" by makoto shinkai and the upcoming series Starracer Molly were made with LW. very successfully i might add.

vangaans
07-15-2003, 03:15 PM
Wow!!...I'm really looking forward to seeing this one. Looks like another for the DVD collection.

rickycox
07-15-2003, 04:49 PM
There's a lot of amazing stuff coming out of korea, the girls are super cute as well. Memento Mori is one of my all time favorite movies. Can wait to see this one.

igorstshirts
07-15-2003, 05:48 PM
I do agree with You 74... But it is hard to put down such an Epic amount of work from any country anyway. It looks real nice. Some of the 2d animation looks poorer than it's 3d visuals though and it looks like it lacks animation consistency. (some scenes are amazing looking though). The fact that those guys used Lightwave is good news for us though... Right?

takkun
07-15-2003, 08:30 PM
Hey kukukiki74, take it down a notch man! Geez, some people are way too sensitive. It's like you can't disagree with anyone on this forum anymore! And I wouldn't compare Wonderful Days to Final Fantasy X and X2 (which is outstanding work, the best from Square so far!). X and X2 is full-on CG while Wonderful Days is 2D characters with 2D/3D enviroments, a better comparison would be Voices from a Distant Star or Blue Submarine or Titan AE or Blood: The Last Vampire.

Celshader
07-15-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by RobinOberg
didnt know they used LW, but seeing as LW is the best tool for cel-shading and so on, its no wonder :thumbsup:

i mean, both "hoshi no koe" by makoto shinkai and the upcoming series Starracer Molly were made with LW. very successfully i might add.

Makoto Shinkai did indeed use LightWave for Hoshi no Koe, but the Molly, Star-Racer pilot used Maya and a custom-built shader. Is the TV series itself getting done in LightWave? :curious:

Hey, for what it's worth, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex used LightWave and a custom shader for celshaded mecha; 3DS MAX + Illustrate! was used for celshaded characters in the background.

vorlon
07-15-2003, 09:39 PM
At the end, how well it does in mass market will depend on the story. Hell, it could look Simpson-ish 2D style if it's got an engaging story. Otherwise, it would be another Final Fantasy in the making.

sebek27
07-15-2003, 11:01 PM
can't find the making of video ... can someone post the link..
thanks

vangaans
07-16-2003, 12:35 AM
Basically I don't care what package it was made in. If it looks good, it looks good.
You're right about the story element though Vorlon.

Cman
07-16-2003, 12:43 AM
I believe the 'making of" video is here (http://wonderfuldays.co.kr/download/new_multimedia.php), the top left video. The VO is Korean.

I agree about story defining if it's a hit or a Final Fantasy.

RobertoOrtiz
07-16-2003, 01:29 AM
Forget about interviewing them!

Showcase them LOUDLY at the LW booth at SIGGRAPH!

Their work is amazing!

-R

Cman
07-16-2003, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by RobertoOrtiz
Forget about interviewing them!

Showcase them LOUDLY at the LW booth at SIGGRAPH!

Their work is amazing!

-R

Yeah! I'd bet Newtek could get decent quality footage to display real easy. :thumbsup:

What other films have used Miniatures, 3D and 2D?

kukukiki74
07-16-2003, 07:32 AM
It failed to impress me... That is my opinion... And takkun... do not tell me to take a notch down... Obviously, you are missing the point here. If you are a 1.5 or 2nd generation Korean, you ought to understand some of the problems of Korea. One of them is lack of innovation and heavy influence from Japan in almost everything.... I can be harsh on this matter... That's how I see it. I am critical of it because I love Korea.

You take a notch up dude!

Shade01
07-16-2003, 08:03 AM
If you are a 1.5 or 2nd generation Korean, you ought to understand some of the problems of Korea. One of them is lack of innovation and heavy influence from Japan in almost everything....

Your feelings about Korea aside, this isn't the point of the post. There is a trailer for a film called Wonderful Days, with a lot of production being done in Korea. Either the art will be appreciated or it won't. There is no reason for this to devolve into what you love/hate about Korea or the animation industry in Korea, that is a topic for another day.

Getting back on topic, I think it's a beautiful film, absolutely beautiful. Some of the 3d elements totally don't blend in but I'd like to the film as whole to see the style they are shooting for. As long as it's available on DVD somewhere in the world I will get this movie. On a side note, one difference I noticed was that most American trailers make some type of effort to give a hint at the story, but after seeing this trailer though, I'll be damned if I could tell you what it might be about. It just looked like a bunch of awesome images strung together. I hope the stroy is good though. I remember how excited I was to go see Final Fantasy, only to leave with a bitter taste in my mouth.

Nemoid
07-16-2003, 01:23 PM
the quality of images and char design seems good to me:buttrock: maybe it will not a revolutionary work at all,
but seems to be a quality work.

I dunno so much about the korean problem, but the japan look of images is evident.true also that this kinda things are just little yet seen from Japan animation.

think that in the future the quality will increase further and there will be only Korean look works, cause i know there is some director going this way.

since the Korean industry of animation will grow, then will come some artist with more personal ideas..

Cman
07-16-2003, 01:28 PM
The overall story seems kinda weird.
Wonderful Days Synopsis (http://wonderfuldays.co.kr/english/index.html)
In the future, after the human civilization ended by war and pollution, only those few people who had the power and technology escaped the disaster.
Those people built the last human city of Ecoban. As its energy source is the pollutant, the people of Ecoban plan to destroy the inhabitants of Marr to get more pollutant.
Standing against Ecoban is a young man who wants only to clear the skies of the clouds to show the wonderful heavens to the girl he loves.

I wonder if "polutant" isn't nuclear power?

rickycox
07-16-2003, 02:13 PM
I don't see any problem with Korea stealing ideas from Japan. Japan zaps up everything it can get from the States. And something like the matrix was heavily influenced by Japan. These days it's all just one big melting pot, everyone's happy to play in each others backyard.

Like Picasso said, "amateurs copy, professionals steal."

faulknermano
07-16-2003, 03:43 PM
Wonderful Days Synopsis
In the future, after the human civilization ended by war and pollution, only those few people who had the power and technology escaped the disaster.
Those people built the last human city of Ecoban. As its energy source is the pollutant, the people of Ecoban plan to destroy the inhabitants of Marr to get more pollutant.
Standing against Ecoban is a young man who wants only to clear the skies of the clouds to show the wonderful heavens to the girl he loves.

my gripe with today's sci-fi, or whatever passes of as sci-fi nowadays is that it's the same old crap, a broken record. i suppose it's not sci-fi, just another drama / action movie or something, set in a future date. i cant argue with that. but personally speaking, while i like the visuals, the synopsis really seems like a no brainer to me. maybe i'm wrong; maybe the actual movie will provide greater insights than what the brief tells. but i'm not betting on it at all.

Nemoid
07-16-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by riki
Like Picasso said, "amateurs copy, professionals steal."

He was right!!!
but when u stole smth and people can notice it.
then it means you're doing smth wrong
with your stolen goods.
u have to mix and work with them till
they becomes yours...:D

so that's what's happening: Koreans have to find
their own way, but since their industry is still
young simply they hadn't the time to go further.

no prob, things will get better in awhile...:beer:

Jonathan
07-17-2003, 02:00 AM
culture.

ChrisBasken
07-17-2003, 02:45 AM
Attempting to wrestle this back on-topic...

How much of the cell stuff was 3D (LW?) and how much was hand-drawn?

tjnyc
07-17-2003, 03:13 PM
It failed to impress me... That is my opinion... And takkun... do not tell me to take a notch down... Obviously, you are missing the point here. If you are a 1.5 or 2nd generation Korean, you ought to understand some of the problems of Korea. One of them is lack of innovation and heavy influence from Japan in almost everything.... I can be harsh on this matter... That's how I see it. I am critical of it because I love Korea.

I don't see how you can generalize Korean animation work from just one trailer. Have you seen an assortment of work from Korea? If you have, like me you know that your argument is totally false. I went to the Seoul International and Animation Festival last year and I saw many styles from Stop Motion, 2D, 3D and digital animation that were highly inventive and unique, rubbing shoulders with the anime style, and anime style animations weren't dominating the festival. Anime is just more openly seen internationally due to it's commercial value, than other Korean animation that isn't seen outside Korea.

Check out SICAF -SICAF 2003 (http://www.sicaf.or.kr/newsicaf2003/eng/e_about/)

Being Korean, doesn't mean you opinion has more weight, working in the Korean animation industry however would.

Which reminds me of a scene from Seinfeld

Jerry: I think Tim Wattly became a Jew so he can tell Jewish jokes.
Priest: Does that offend you because you are Jewish?
Jerry: No that offends me because I am a Comedian.

Now back to LW. Some friends of mine in the Korean 3D animation Industry are planning on showcasing Korean digital animation next year at SICAF and SIGGRAPH all done in LW. So stay tune for that, what I've seen of it will surely impress with a very unique style and pretty kick-ass story.

Regards,

tjnyc
07-17-2003, 03:19 PM
Oh, my apology for taking this thread off course, but I felt strongly that something positive need to be said on behave of my friends and associates in the Korean digital animation industry.

Regards,

Nemoid
07-17-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by tjnyc

Now back to LW. Some friends of mine in the Korean 3D animation Industry are planning on showcasing Korean digital animation next year at SICAF and SIGGRAPH all done in LW. So stay tune for that, what I've seen of it will surely impress with a very unique style and pretty kick-ass story.

very interested to know more about these animations
done with Lw!
really in korea and Japan and other asian countries Lw is
so pupular and well used.. i like it!!:beer:

tjnyc
07-17-2003, 06:36 PM
The thing about LW's popularity is that it is based on great word of mouth from the actual users in the industry. The comments I hear is how people really like the clean interface and efficient workflow, not to mention the great modeler, LW renderer and animation tools.

kukukiki74
07-18-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by tjnyc
I don't see how you can generalize Korean animation work from just one trailer. Have you seen an assortment of work from Korea? If you have, like me you know that your argument is totally false. I went to the Seoul International and Animation Festival last year and I saw many styles from Stop Motion, 2D, 3D and digital animation that were highly inventive and unique, rubbing shoulders with the anime style, and anime style animations weren't dominating the festival. Anime is just more openly seen internationally due to it's commercial value, than other Korean animation that isn't seen outside Korea.

Check out SICAF -SICAF 2003 (http://www.sicaf.or.kr/newsicaf2003/eng/e_about/)

Being Korean, doesn't mean you opinion has more weight, working in the Korean animation industry however would.

Which reminds me of a scene from Seinfeld

Jerry: I think Tim Wattly became a Jew so he can tell Jewish jokes.
Priest: Does that offend you because you are Jewish?
Jerry: No that offends me because I am a Comedian.

Regards,

Two things tjnyc...

First... I didn't generalize Korean animation from just one trailer... I have seen alot of Korean animation... In fact, I have seen some of the stuff that you probably never even heard of. So you shouldn't think like that.

Second... being a Korean has more weight than yours. You obvously are not Korean, and you have no idea about Korean Culture and the way Koreans think and act. If you pay attention to the thread at all. I was pointing out the problems with the way Korean do not have uniqueness not just merely with the Korean animation industry...

Oh... If you want to know more about Korean culture... I say you should try to date Korean girls... Korean girls are beautiful girls... I have a beautiful wife! :beer:

Instead of trying to defend infant staged Korean animation industry... try to know about Korea first before you defend it. You almost sound dumb...

takkun
07-18-2003, 10:24 PM
You almost sound dumb... kukukiki74, why do you have to insult people like that? love and peace, man.

ChrisBasken
07-18-2003, 10:38 PM
Um,

Cman
07-18-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by ChrisBasken
Um,

As I interpret the making-of vid, the vehicles and moving objects are 3D, characters are all hand-drawn, and sets are practical (miniatures).
That seems to be the general setup. Very rockin'!

How many other animated films used miniatures for the environment? Did they pull it off?

Celshader
07-18-2003, 11:20 PM
For what it's worth, here's what Aeon Flux creator Peter Chung had to say about Wonderful Days:

From http://video.barnesandnoble.com/search/interview.asp?cds2Pid=1925&ctr=1058738

B&N.com: There aren't many other Korean animators besides you who have much recognition in the U.S. Are there any Korean artists you admire who we should look out for?

PC: Kim Moon Saeng and his crew at Tinhouse Studios in Seoul are good friends of mine. They've just finished the most ambitious animated feature to come out of Korea, Wonderful Days. I saw it at the Korean premiere in March and was pleasantly surprised at how purely enjoyable it was. I find a lot of Korean films depressing and misanthropic, but I found Wonderful Days to be quite romantic and highly accessible. I'm also looking forward to Aachi and Ssipak by Jo Beom-Jin. His former animation director, Kim Byung Gap, is currently making a short film that looks like nothing else I've ever seen. I think we can expect good things from both of these young artists.

I have hope for Wonderful Days.

tjnyc
07-19-2003, 02:02 AM
to kukukiki74,

Well, I don't want to continue this silliness by exchanging insults with another member who cannot have a non-hostile discussion on the relevant issue. If you want to hold that Koreas are making crap copies, then that is sad and I for one will look towards optimism on a young industry and good friends who work their asses off and who are very proud of what they are doing and achieving.

regards,

kukukiki74
07-19-2003, 07:19 AM
I feel the same way... I want to in good terms with other members here... I agree with you on that... but I was little insulted first by your reply and takkun. I have high hopes for Korean animation... and high expectation as well. I hope they do well. I just have this frustration because Korea has so much potential, but don't know how to use them.

Anyway, I want to end this sillyness myself... I hope Korean animation does well...

Regards....

Shade01
07-22-2003, 07:40 AM
Did you guys see this review of the movie?

http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=15708

-Thanks to Roberto Ortiz

Celshader
07-22-2003, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Shade01
Did you guys see this review of the movie?

http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=15708

Yup! It sounds like a fun flick. I hope I get a chance to see it in a theater!

:love:

rickycox
07-22-2003, 12:36 PM
When's the release date??

Cman
07-22-2003, 01:48 PM
It's already released in Korea.

rickycox
07-22-2003, 04:45 PM
Here's a Korean language version DVD http://www.asiandb.com/browse/movie_detail.pfm?code=5442&mode=shop

will have to check back again latter.

erikals
07-22-2003, 05:14 PM
Can't wait to see it :) Looks like a piece of art.

Hope there is a "making of" on the DVD, maybe they will show some LW stuff, that'd be cool..

Hope the story is good. I have a feeling it is :)

Shade01
09-01-2003, 02:15 AM
Wonderful Days Coming to DVD in September

The most expensive Korean animation ever produced, Wonderful Days, is coming to region 3 DVD, with English subtitles, on September 4, 2003, according to a post on the AoD forums. Toon Zone notes that Days combines filmed miniatures, 3D and 2D animation.

I'll buy the DVD anyway just cause I want to see it for myself, but I keep hearing from multiple sources that it is a truly beautiful piece of work with a crappy story, like Final Fantasy. :shrug:

Cman
09-01-2003, 03:22 AM
I just read this story (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=598&ncid=600&e=7&u=/nm/20030826/film_nm/film_korea_dc) which seems to support the idea that the story sux. :thumbsdow

I'll probably buy the DVD too.

Nemoid
09-01-2003, 02:49 PM
Sorry for the crappy story:rolleyes:, but the graphics seem certainly be very good ! BTW the dvd can be ordered from Amazon?:grin:

Jonathan
09-01-2003, 03:15 PM
Yep, me too. Because reguardless of how crappy Final Fantasy TSW story was, I still bought the DVD on day 1. The work, although sometimes inconsistent, the overall production was exceptional.

erikals
09-01-2003, 05:06 PM
Well, a bad manuscript doesn't necessarrily mean a bad film. Not always. Think about how bad "Alien" could have been if it wasn't for Ridley Scott.

Crossing my fingers, there is hope :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.