PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Castaway character

Steve Warner
07-15-2003, 04:20 AM
Hi all,

I'm working on a new model. It's a castaway character. :)

http://www.trinitymediainc.com/WIP/Castaway/wip-01.jpg
http://www.trinitymediainc.com/WIP/Castaway/wip-02.jpg

The head isn't attached to the body, the ears aren't done yet, and I'm thinking about tweaking the hair a bit more. But at this point you can get a good idea of where I'm going with this.

I still have a few questions, though:

1. What do you think about the size of his head? Cartoony characters usually have a head that's 1/3 the size of their body. But when I scale the head to that size, it looks freakish. Thoughts?

2. What do you think about his beard? In my original concept sketches, he had a large, bushy beard. But I'm not altogether unhappy with the shorter one. The only thing that's bothering me is that he looks like an anorexic GI Joe...

3. Should he have nipples? I feel so funky even asking.

This is something that I'm working on in my spare time, so there aren't any deadlines.

Any crits and comments are welcome.

Thanks!

Steve

pblacklock
07-15-2003, 05:11 AM
definitely needs nipples, he does look weird without them.

a bit of gray hair on his chest, more messed up long hair being a castaway and all.

not enough wrinkles line around his eyes and forehead.

stomach is too small and not enough six pack action going on.

maybe a rip in his pants somewhere to show he been thorugh some tough times.

can't wait to see an update! Castaway was a terrific movie, anyone doing a movie with a ball as a costar gets my vote:

Wilson! Wilson! i'm sorrrry!

lwbob
07-15-2003, 07:33 AM
Because his waist and other areas where bone is near the surface are soooo small, it looks like he is wearing a huge ribcage-shape vest. Kneecaps and the pelvis don't loose weight. Cartoon or not they really could be a little bigger to make the surrounding areas look smaller.

As for the sixpack suggestion-- The character was starving, not doing Tae-Bo Areas that aren't going to be really skinny should be a little flabby and not defined.

Facial Deluxe
07-15-2003, 11:53 AM
I think he could be a pal of Remi's Redneck :)

aurora
07-15-2003, 03:06 PM
I think that if you smooth out the rib->stomach transition alittle it will go a long way. I agree that ading a little 6-pack action would help that out as well. I never thought about the nipples till I read your question on them now its obviously lacking, knowledge is deadly :) It also looks like you have some pinching in the underarm area. On the up side I like the hair especially the eye brows. I don't know what it is but I like them. I also love the over all dimensions of this character. In my opinion keep the sizes is. Are you going to do 'Castaway esque' animation?:applause:

Chagidiel
07-15-2003, 04:42 PM
Nice work mr. Warner :thumbsup: That is one starving fella.

But some coments:

- The 1/3 headthing you talk about requires some more proportional adjustments to maintain balance. In your case, such adjustments would benefit your character I think. For example; the hands and feet should (a matter of taste of course) be somewhat proportinal to the upsized head. Whether you decide to scale up the head or not I suggest you increase the size of his hands and feet considerably. In this action you might tighten up his arms a little, leaving place for some tiny muscles and edgy bones to be more expressed.

- I agree with everyone on that you should smoothen out the trasition between ribcage and belly, especially towards the back.
BUT... I definately think you should increase the size (width) of the hips. The big bone in there is in reality almost as wide/wider as/than the ribcage and I think you should express that a little on this fella.

- To make the skinnieness even more expressed I suggest you scale down his thighs... almost the same width as the "lower legs" (not very good at english anatomy-therms :) )

- Regarding the nipples and the other things you requested commented:
I think he would work fine without nipples. At least at the detail-level he is at now. By adding nipples you would increase the level of detail and the demand of other details accordingly... wich brings us down to the beard and hair. The hair as is should benefit from som roughening up, but the beard is OK I think. But then, if you go for higher detail on other parts, I definately think you should go back to your sketch-plans and give him a bushy beard and I suggest you do the same with the rest of the hair.

Looking forward for updates :scream:

Steve Warner
07-15-2003, 07:44 PM
Wow! Thanks for all the helpful crits! :)

I'll definitely go back and make the pelvis area bigger. And I'll smooth out the transition from the ribcage to the rest of the body. I'm not sure about the six pack, as I want to avoid the aerobic/fit/muscular look. But I'll keep that in mind. I'll scale the arms and legs down accordingly. And I'll increase the size of the hands and feet. I'll also roughen up the hair and pants a bit. These are great suggestions!!

As for the nipples... I'm still so torn. I'm trying to strengthen my stylization skills, and don't want this to wander too close to reality. I find it really fascinating that something can lack details, yet still be totally readable for what it is. Deciding what details to keep, which to lose, and which to exagerate is an art in and of itself. :)

I'll try to make these changes soon and will keep you all posted.

Thanks for the great comments! You guys rock!

Steve

Steve Warner
07-20-2003, 01:07 AM
An update:

I found time this weekend to rework the body. I smoothed out the transition from the ribs to the stomach. Reworked the shoulders. Enhanced the pelvis. Shrunk the arms and legs. Increased the size of the hands, but made the fingers thinner. I also reworked the head. Removed the beard and hair for now. Tweaked the nose. Made the eyesockets more hollow. Shrunk back the cheeks to make him more gaunt.

Now I'm wondering if the comic feel to this has been lost. Of course, pants and hair might lend to that again. What do you think?

http://www.trinitymediainc.com/WIP/Castaway/Spinning.gif

C&C welcome and appreciated. :)

Thanks!

Steve

Chagidiel
07-20-2003, 02:03 AM
Ahhh! I think you have nailed it on the spot with these great updates. The character is majorly improved! :thumbsup:

The comic feel is still there and even that is improved I think. With hands and feet enlarged I tink you can size up the head somewhat if you want to emphasize the "comicness". But as you said; clothes and hair might play a big part in that.

I wouldn´t have shrinked the fingers as you did. Perhaps if you scaled up the tips, knuckles and joints you could make them appear thin but not that unproportional to the handbase as I think they tend to appear now.

Your updates in the face are great. The shrunk-in cheeks and starvingly bulgy eyes being just superb.

Thanks for the update. You have this char coming now. Looking forward for hair and especially how you design the clothing.

pblacklock
07-20-2003, 02:59 AM
the rib cage still looks too big for the rest of his body. now he looks like an alien more than a castaway. upper thigh are too small compare to his body maybe with pants it would hide that but since this pic is just him. feet are too long as well, this guy is sure to never tip over. his face is awesome, can't wait to see with a beard and messed up hair. stomach looks good, try a reducing the rib cage a bit and i am sure the upper body will look great. bigger biceps too, as he seems to have a strong upper back.

later,

paul

chikega
07-20-2003, 05:26 AM
I think the improvements look great. But, I think his hair would be longer if he's been stranded on an island for a while - I'm thinking of the movie "Castaway". Unless of course, he had his head shaved before being stranded.

Also one more element missing ... where's Wilson? ;)

Steve Warner
07-21-2003, 02:06 AM
Thanks for the crits everyone! It's really helping to refine this.

Updates:

* Added ears! :)
* Scaled the head up by about 106%.
* Pulled the ribcage in.
* Replaced the hands with the original ones.
* Scaled the feet down in length.
* Lengthened the thigh and shortened the calf.

http://www.trinitymediainc.com/WIP/Castaway/Spinning2.gif

Obvious problems:

There's a little pinching on the head by the ear because I attached the ear by brute force. I'll look to rebuild that area later. The feet also need a little more work, and I'm going to take Chagidiel's suggestion and work the fingers at the kuckes to make them a little more boney.

Once the body is done, I'll tackle the hair and clothes.

Crits and comments welcome and appreciated. :)

Thanks again!!

Steve

Mike Pauza
07-21-2003, 04:27 AM
Like the body progression, but I miss the beard! Nice Keyframe article BTW.

-Mike

pblacklock
07-21-2003, 04:36 AM
with the beard, messed up hair and pants, complete with a beach with a shipwreck on shore, i can see Wilson already coming back home.

:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.