PDA

View Full Version : Living Vancouver(Emily Carr)

nkr10
04-27-2009, 07:11 AM
Hello every body, Im a little new in this forum, my last post was about deciding where to study, and after many nights with many many ideas around my head, decisions, after tlaking with many people I just decided to enter to Emily Carr, Ive been just admitted and by this point it is a 95% assured that I will be in vancouver in the fall or may be before..

So, I would like to know a bit of vancouver, Ive seen many photos of the city and I love them.. ill be glad if sombody could tell me about vaoncouver living style, recomended places to visit, what to do what not to do, etc etc.

And if somebody have any kind of experience in Emily Carr please tell me about it, i applied for the 3D program, do you recomend it? what do you think about Emily Carr?.. My idea is to get a bachelor diploma there, an also a good set of art and 3D skills and then go to VFS to improve my technical animation skills.

Grettings,

Fernando,

pentexplorer
04-28-2009, 03:13 AM
What I think you should do is enrol in the fine arts program for a good overall arts foundation then enrol to VFS. Or you could just go VFS if you are already confident and have some experience in CG. Not so informed about emily carr but is Emily Carr a 4 year degree program?

This is a good link for you to start:

http://www.artschoolreviews.ca/category/reviews/ecuad (http://www.artschoolreviews.ca/category/reviews/ecuad)

nkr10
04-28-2009, 03:41 AM
What I think you should do is enrol in the fine arts program for a good overall arts foundation then enrol to VFS. Or you could just go VFS if you are already confident and have some experience in CG. Not so informed about emily carr but is Emily Carr a 4 year degree program?

This is a good link for you to start:

http://www.artschoolreviews.ca/category/reviews/ecuad (http://www.artschoolreviews.ca/category/reviews/ecuad)

Yes, since the last year EC is a university, an have a 4 year degrees, including the animation bachelor.. I have read in other forums that EC is more enfocated to fine arts and a art fountation skills.

The other reason that Iwant to attend EC is because me and my parents want an oficial bachelor certificate first, and then go to VFS, as VFS gives just a diploma.

I think I need to improve my art skills first, to get my creative skills more rounded and then improve my technical animation skills in vfs, in the 3D and visual effects program.

Thank you for the link, Im chekin it :)

eldee
04-28-2009, 06:02 AM
if you're planning on getting into film or games, nobody cares if you have a degree or even a high school diploma... all they care about is your demo reel. I've seen people with bachelor's degrees have crappy demo reels and not get jobs... so keep that in mind :)

aesnakes
04-28-2009, 06:17 AM
Vancouver is a pretty sweet place, everywhere you look there is a great view which makes it hard to find cheap rent. Where ever you are going to school look around that area....the sky train is great but you do not want to be traveling in from Surrey or Burnaby everyday....or maybe that's just me...look into downtown or kits area......

Anyways as for schools I know a lot of people out here that are working and went to VFS. Seems like a great program and all seem very knowledgeable. Also look into VANARTS, I worked with one of the instructors over there. He is teaching the Houdini and Nuke programs there. He has worked at some big companies like Digital Domain and at Side Effects Software so he knows his stuff and is still working at some bigger studios here in town.

Vanarts might be worth a look depending on what you are looking for.

All the best
Rob

nkr10
04-28-2009, 06:29 AM
if you're planning on getting into film or games, nobody cares if you have a degree or even a high school diploma... all they care about is your demo reel. I've seen people with bachelor's degrees have crappy demo reels and not get jobs... so keep that in mind :)

Yes eldee, Ive been consider that and many people tell me about that, and my first idea was to apply just to VFS; but then I started to think, and the reason for wanting a bachelor is because Im from Mxico, and if for any reason I have to return to work here(my plan is to stay in Canada or maybe France), I will need and oficial document, maybe as a teacher and it will be very helpful in an emergency and specially in Mxico, because many companies ask a bachelor and a major as a requirement.

For example in my current school, they ask to the teachers to have at least a Major in animation, but many animators, principaly in mexico does not have that document and have the necessary skills to teach.. but they cant work there.

That is the principal reason.. :D

nkr10
04-28-2009, 06:41 AM
Vancouver is a pretty sweet place, everywhere you look there is a great view which makes it hard to find cheap rent. Where ever you are going to school look around that area....the sky train is great but you do not want to be traveling in from Surrey or Burnaby everyday....or maybe that's just me...look into downtown or kits area......

Anyways as for schools I know a lot of people out here that are working and went to VFS. Seems like a great program and all seem very knowledgeable. Also look into VANARTS, I worked with one of the instructors over there. He is teaching the Houdini and Nuke programs there. He has worked at some big companies like Digital Domain and at Side Effects Software so he knows his stuff and is still working at some bigger studios here in town.

Vanarts might be worth a look depending on what you are looking for.

All the best
Rob

Im still thinking about that, the place where I will live, now I had a family that lives in the suburbs but I dont know how far is it from the school, I hope not too much, but i will stay with them a few months because my parents know them and it could be more familiarity, but as soon as i get adquired with the city I think i will move to a centered place..

And about Vanarts, I know that is one of the best school, at least in Canada right, I found that it is like at the same level of VFS, but i dont know if they have a bachelor, I remember that it is just a diploma but Im not sure; any way today EC send me an E-mail telling that Im accepted at 100% so I think it would be the final decision.

Thank You for your post Rob. :)

I feel a little nervous about all of this haha :S

SheepFactory
04-28-2009, 06:49 AM
Vancouver is a great city to live. Hope you are coming in summer (its gorgeous) because fall\winter in vancouver = constant rain. It is perfect weather to do CG because there is nothing else to do :D

nkr10
04-28-2009, 07:09 AM
Vancouver is a great city to live. Hope you are coming in summer (its gorgeous) because fall\winter in vancouver = constant rain. It is perfect weather to do CG because there is nothing else to do :D

I will be there by july or august haha.. I wanna see snow!!
by the way, I stoled your profile imagen if you dont mind, its so funny haha..

pentexplorer
04-28-2009, 07:15 AM
Yes, since the last year EC is a university, an have a 4 year degrees, including the animation bachelor.. I have read in other forums that EC is more enfocated to fine arts and a art fountation skills.

The other reason that Iwant to attend EC is because me and my parents want an oficial bachelor certificate first, and then go to VFS, as VFS gives just a diploma.

I think I need to improve my art skills first, to get my creative skills more rounded and then improve my technical animation skills in vfs, in the 3D and visual effects program.

Thank you for the link, Im chekin it :)

Am going over to Vancouver as well...in October for VFS...perhaps we could have a drink if possible.

nkr10
04-28-2009, 07:22 AM
Am going over to Vancouver as well...in October for VFS...perhaps we could have a drink if possible.

Yes, why not.. it could be nice :beer:

kelgy
04-28-2009, 04:50 PM
You dont want to be travelling by bus or skytrain from Surrey to Vancouver every day if you can avoid it. Bus is ok for doing work(useless if you dont have a computer with you). Skytrain can get very draining even though its faster than bus. Cramped, standing.
I have heard people from Toronto and other large cities complain that the bus service isnt so great here-you have to wait around 10 -15 minutes sometimes(and it gets much worse the further you get from Vancouver. Surrey's bus service is absolutely terrible. It is faster for me to go from South Surrey to Vancouver than it is for me to go from South Surrey to Central Surrey).

Also avoid East Hastings when possible. I think it may have the highest rate of intravenous drug users in North America(not bragged about in travel brochures).

SheepFactory
04-28-2009, 05:09 PM
I will be there by july or august haha.. I wanna see snow!!
by the way, I stoled your profile imagen if you dont mind, its so funny haha..

July and August should be great. You wont see snow till december but you will see lots of rain :)

aesnakes
04-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Yes stay away from Hastings...far, far away. There are some nice areas around there but venture carefully. If you get down to water street there are great shops and pubs. But if you find yourself living in east vancouver (gastown) try to live around commercial drive. Commercial drive is a great place to be.

Commercial Drive area = Great
Kitslano (west 4th area) = Awesome close to beaches and young people
Westend = pricey but you can find places there..and its great.
North Vancouver = I live here at the Lonsdale quay its amazing but could be too far.
Hastings Street = Terrible
Surrey = Too far and too much gang violence lately.

its hard to know the city from far away but once you get here you will love how it has so much to offer. Snow and mountains are close, beaches, English bay, Stanley Park, Granville island..

Good luck moving here, finding a place to live and finding a great school

Rob

ShadowM8
04-28-2009, 07:05 PM

This is such a bad and short sighted advice to give somebody. Especially considering that the person asking is from outside of USA/Canada and most likely does not live in a market filled with game/film studios. Without a degree and let alone a high school diploma he'd never get a work visa to work anywhere outside his country no matter how fantastic his demo reel might be!

SheepFactory
04-28-2009, 08:26 PM
This is such a bad and short sighted advice to give somebody. Especially considering that the person asking is from outside of USA/Canada and most likely does not live in a market filled with game/film studios. Without a degree and let alone a high school diploma he'd never get a work visa to work anywhere outside his country no matter how fantastic his demo reel might be!

Seconding this. It is also one of the reasons I never understand why so many international students go to VFS. It is overpriced and you dont even get a temp work permit after graduation.

nkr10
04-28-2009, 08:33 PM
Yes stay away from Hastings...far, far away. There are some nice areas around there but venture carefully. If you get down to water street there are great shops and pubs. But if you find yourself living in east vancouver (gastown) try to live around commercial drive. Commercial drive is a great place to be.

Commercial Drive area = Great
Kitslano (west 4th area) = Awesome close to beaches and young people
Westend = pricey but you can find places there..and its great.
North Vancouver = I live here at the Lonsdale quay its amazing but could be too far.
Hastings Street = Terrible
Surrey = Too far and too much gang violence lately.

its hard to know the city from far away but once you get here you will love how it has so much to offer. Snow and mountains are close, beaches, English bay, Stanley Park, Granville island..

Good luck moving here, finding a place to live and finding a great school

Rob

VFS is in Hastings right? or just near? somebody tells me something like that. 0o

(that is how they can stay days awake doing them reels? xD )

kelgy
04-28-2009, 08:51 PM
VFS is West Hastings.

East Hastings is the bad place. You'll know when you see it.

SheepFactory
04-28-2009, 09:21 PM
VFS is in west end (burrard and pacific) it has nothing whatsoever to do with hastings east or west.

kelgy
04-28-2009, 09:35 PM
Last I checked it had a campus at West Hastings and Homer. Just across the street from Dressew fabrics(or pretty close).

SheepFactory
04-28-2009, 10:03 PM
That was long ago as far as I know. All CG classes are at burrard street one now.

kelgy
04-28-2009, 10:12 PM
Looks like they have Film production at Hastings.

Their website is slick.

aesnakes
04-28-2009, 11:39 PM
You have nothing to worry about once you get into the west end past Cambie St. On East Hastings and East Cordova St between Cambie and Main Street is where you want to avoid and it gets better around Commercial Drive. The west end is great and you would be fine going to VFS 100% fine in that area....it is actuall very strange to drive don through that area and you see the homeless and bad stuff going on there and then within a block you will see people in suits and clean buildings......very strange.

nkr10
04-28-2009, 11:56 PM
And is it true that VFS is not such a nice campus as many people believe? I have read in other forums that is just like a 3 floor in and office building.

And how is Emily Carr, how does it looks like?

kelgy
04-28-2009, 11:59 PM
Emily Carr is a very nice location.
Some of VFS courses are in floors of buildings.

eldee
04-29-2009, 03:42 PM
This is such a bad and short sighted advice to give somebody. Especially considering that the person asking is from outside of USA/Canada and most likely does not live in a market filled with game/film studios.
I hadn't considered this- but at the same time this industry is budding (and even blooming) in many different countries.. mexico being one of them. It's not just a USA/Canada market anymore, what with outsourcing and globalization, and even with a bachelor's degree it is still very difficult to get a work visa- especially if no company will hire you due to a subpar demo reel.

And is it true that VFS is not such a nice campus as many people believe? I have read in other forums that is just like a 3 floor in and office building.
Depends on what you mean by 'nice', it's not like a university campus.. but once you're in the class you're using top end hardware and updated software. pair that with good instructors and what else do you need? :)

But yes, it's in a 5-ish story office building, and VFS occupies the third and fourth floor- in the 3D program you'll spend 99% of your time on the fourth floor. The small space sometimes is sometimes frustrating, but you get over it quickly enough. For example- the other campuses give students personal space in the form of a locker.. there's no room for that at the burrard campus. The hastings campus also has a cafe, while the burrard campus doesn't (but there are plenty of little restraunts and cafes nearby). Overall the size and location of the campus is not a big deal, it's what you do inside that matters most.

nkr10
10-11-2009, 07:11 AM
You have nothing to worry about once you get into the west end past Cambie St. On East Hastings and East Cordova St between Cambie and Main Street is where you want to avoid and it gets better around Commercial Drive. The west end is great and you would be fine going to VFS 100% fine in that area....it is actuall very strange to drive don through that area and you see the homeless and bad stuff going on there and then within a block you will see people in suits and clean buildings......very strange.

Now I see what you say about hastings, I saw VFS and it is in the division of the "good" and "bad" area, but that zone is so nice, I mean the side of the port.
North Vancouver is also awesome, and I live near comercial drive one block from the intersection of Marine and Victoria, this city is so amazing and Emily Carr is also good and interesting place to stay, inside and around (Granville Island).

Thank you for the advices, that helped me alot in my first time alone, I wanted to go to Emily Carr and I finished in the middle of hastings, i still don't know why :S

CGTalk Moderation
10-11-2009, 07:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.