PDA

View Full Version : Mapping skeletal animations

rebo
07-15-2003, 01:23 AM
Ive watched the 3dbuzz videos and very informative they are too. I have a question about the prescribed Characterizable skeleton and animation on other skeletons not using this exact heirachy.

Is it possible to, once you have a character sertup in the MB manner, to somehow import another skeletons animation (whose nameing and structure is different) onto that character.

This would really help me consolidate several projects whose animations are on several different skeletons.

Thks :wavey:

LFGabel
07-15-2003, 10:18 PM
If you're mapping bipeds, isn't the structure going to be pretty much the same? Or are you using non-parented limbs, attached with constraints? Naming convention isn't much of an issue because you can manually drag and drop bones.

I would try this: import your animation on the structurally different character, place a MB skeleton overtop, and then constrain it to the structurally different character. Then you can save out the motion ont he MB skeleton and apply it to other MB rigged characters.

I've never tried this, and it's straight off the top of my head, so it may not work...

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.