PDA

View Full Version : glow trough material

viggesWe
04-26-2009, 09:14 AM
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t179/viggesWe/glow.png
In the cabinet, I have a box with a little sphere in the corner. The sphere is set to glow blue, so it looks like the power light that is on most electronic devices.

Well thing is, it doesn't glow trough the glass shader I am using, that can be found here: http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downloads/shaders/TrueGlass-779.html

How could I fix this?

The renderer is mental ray

EDIT: NVM. It isn't the shader. It is the glow. Why doesn't glow work on distance? You need to render very near the object to see the glow. I can't see the glow from that distance even if I set the intensity to 2000+

watti
04-28-2009, 05:52 PM
i think its because Glowe is a Post effect somthing that is calculation after the render.. Try to put a real ligth there, a smal one or somthing, i think that wold make more sence!

jCastile
04-28-2009, 11:12 PM
I believe you need to toy with the threshold in shader glow node.

viggesWe
05-03-2009, 12:53 PM
I believe you need to toy with the threshold in shader glow node.

Well, I tried setting it to max, but it still wont work :/

jCastile
05-03-2009, 06:14 PM
I just tested a scene and had no trouble. Maybe it's the shader material you're using. I used a materialX for my glass. I set it to thin glass preset, then changed the transparency settings to get a dark plastic appearance.

viggesWe
05-03-2009, 06:17 PM
I just tested a scene and had no trouble. Maybe it's the shader material you're using. I used a materialX for my glass. I set it to thin glass preset, then changed the transparency settings to get a dark plastic appearance.

Well, when I tested if the glow worked the object was outside of the glass. The glow is put on a face that has the shader blinn, but I tested it on a lambert too. The glow only works when I zoom in, but not from a distance

jCastile
05-03-2009, 06:25 PM
I used a NURBS sphere with a red lambert. I made the color and the incandescence pure red and the glow worked as normal. I had to set it to a really low value as per usual.
The sphere is indeed behind the bezel as well. If you're on irc.efnet.org/#maya I'd be more than happy to discuss it with you.

CGTalk Moderation
05-03-2009, 06:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.