PDA

View Full Version : maya renders background footage darker

Eddepet
04-26-2009, 08:29 AM
Hi,

I have a tracked scene in Boujou and rendered it with some elements in maya.

When importing the rendered footage in After Effects i saw that the rendered footage is much less bright then the original one. Is there a way to prevent this?

Also when rendering without the scene elements the footage is still rendered out darker.

Thanks in advance.

Eddepet

djx
04-26-2009, 08:53 AM
It's usually better to render your maya elements with no background and then composite them over your footage.

However if there is some reason you need it rendered in the scene, then you should be able to get the output approximately the same as the input. But there are quite a few places where the output can be affected. How is your footage being imported into the scene? ImagePlane? What renderer? Do you have an exposure node on the camera? What gamma is your framebuffer? etc.

Maybe you can explain you set up in a bit more detail.

-- David

Eddepet
04-26-2009, 09:20 AM
Thanks for answering.

I had to render everything in Maya because i needed a plane with a UseBackgroundshader on it to cast shadows of the objects. I don't no how to that in another way, or it will get difficult to do this in AE, i think.

The Footage is on an ImagePlane.

With framebufer and Exposure node i haven't dealed before, where have i to look for these?

djx
04-26-2009, 02:26 PM
Ok, so it's probably not exposure or gamma. Are you sure you didn't accidentally change the Color Gain in the ImagePlane attributes? I cant think of anything else. In my quick test the rendered image plane matched the colors in the original image, except for some very slight slight contrast reduction caused by the pixel filtering (because my test image was much larger than my render resolution).

If you are using the "Use Background" shader, then you may be interested to try setting the image plane display mode to none, to disable it in the render. This will speed up the render and, more importantly, you will get then the shadow rendered in the alpha channel, so that it is easy to composite it in after effects.

-- David

Eddepet
04-26-2009, 04:02 PM
AH that's what i was looking for!! I tried some settings but didn't know it worked that way.

I'll try your suggestion cause that would solve everything for me. Thanks a lot djx!

Eddepet
04-26-2009, 04:33 PM
I tried these settings before, but it didn't work in the past. Now i know what i did wrong.
in the Attribute editor under UseBackground -Matte Opacity set the Matte Opacity mode to Opacity Gain. May be useful for others who are also dealing with the same problem.

Thanks once again djx. Now everything looks great in AE.:thumbsup:

AH that's what i was looking for!! I tried some settings but didn't know it worked that way.

I'll try your suggestion cause that would solve everything for me. Thanks a lot djx!

CGTalk Moderation
04-26-2009, 04:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.