PDA

View Full Version : charecter

DADDYGOODY
07-14-2003, 09:45 PM
Here is my charecter so far how does he look.
http://www.123ezcd.com/beard.jpg

Remi
07-14-2003, 09:54 PM
My first crit would be the eyes look a little too far apart..I might be wrong on that one....the nose is a little to thin at the tip....other than that it looks like a good start...maybe finish the model before you start texturing...keep going.:thumbsup:

DADDYGOODY
07-14-2003, 09:56 PM
Well since this is a free charecter I downloaded off 3dcafe I am just trying to texture it and I dont know how to model a charecter from scratch and I dont have money or time to learn how to.

allaboutkeys
07-14-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by DADDYGOODY
I dont know how to model a charecter from scratch and I dont have money or time to learn how to.

Well, it's definitely a question of time. But it's not necessarily a question of money. There are lots of very good free tutorials on character modeling. Learning it is really fun!

DADDYGOODY
07-14-2003, 11:01 PM
It might be fun but I dont have the time and it would cost me money because I would want the video tutorials wich are easyier for me to follow.

DADDYGOODY
07-15-2003, 01:39 AM
But How can I move the eye sockets closer together what tools should I use please help.

EvilE
07-15-2003, 03:42 PM
rtfm :beer:

DADDYGOODY
07-15-2003, 07:46 PM
What Does rtfm mean.

allaboutkeys
07-15-2003, 07:55 PM
RTFM = Read The ****ing Manual

Yes, you should read it before you ask questions like your last one. Don't get me wrong: I don't want to be offensive but it's obviously that you haven't spent much time in learning the basics.

I'm myself pretty much new to LightWave. And yes, the manual has several hundred pages. What I don't understand is: Why did you buy LW when you don't have the time to learn it?

DADDYGOODY
07-15-2003, 08:25 PM
I have read the manual and I have time to learn how to use the program just not time to build a complete charecter.

NanoGator
07-16-2003, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by allaboutkeys
RTFM = Read The ****ing Manual

Yes, you should read it before you ask questions like your last one. Don't get me wrong: I don't want to be offensive but it's obviously that you haven't spent much time in learning the basics.

I'm myself pretty much new to LightWave. And yes, the manual has several hundred pages. What I don't understand is: Why did you buy LW when you don't have the time to learn it?

Not cool dude. Not cool at all.

NanoGator
07-16-2003, 03:31 AM
DaddyGoody, what you do is select either the points or the polygons representing the bits you want to move, then use the move tool to drag them around. :)

allaboutkeys
07-16-2003, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by NanoGator
Not cool dude. Not cool at all.

:blush: Yesterday we had the hottest day of the year in Germany (35 degree Celsius). Maybe that's why I was a little bad-tempered.

Sorry, daddygoody. As I said, my answer wasn't meant to be offensive. I am a newbie myself! I have spent hours and hours on following tutorials, reading the manual and books - and practicing, practicing, practicing. Considering all that, it just made me testy to read something like "Hey, here's my character, I didn't model it and I don't know how to move polys around, but how do you like it?".

NanoGator
07-16-2003, 06:50 AM
Don't worry bud, he'll get there. We all start somewhere. :)

The reason I jumped ya about it is because when I was first hired to learn LW (I came from 3D Studio, not MAX mind you...) I had to ask all kinds of simple questions just to get acclimated to it. I was fortunate in that I had somebody who was patient with me and gave me places to look. I had the manuals available, but they're useless unless you know exactly what you're looking for. For example, if you wanted to extrude polygons without leaving the source polys behind, how would ya know to find "Smooth Shift"?

All cool? :)

allaboutkeys
07-16-2003, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by NanoGator
All cool? :)

All cool! :beer:

Nemoid
07-16-2003, 12:27 PM
Your char is not that bad if its the first.

1) if u don't have the time, just search for
a good head modelling tutorial, or better ,
video, and stick with ittill u have
completed your head.

2) don't make great textures when
your model isn't complete. is a waiste
of time that u can utilize learning how
to model your character.!!

3) you can move your eyesocket with little move tool,
and utilize it with selected points to move them
around and fix geometry. also, the drag tool to
tweak points one by one when you
think your polys are at the exat place,
but some prob still remain with the shapes.

for a head or charracters remeber u can utilize
simmetry, when dragging points or polys, if the
ax of your model is in the center and geometr
u created is simmetric (mirrored or not )

example : make a box how u like, then subdivide
it a little, than hit F2. now the ax is at the center
and geometry is simmetric.
then, active simmetry.
now u can work with this geometry, also
selecting points and polys on one side .
pay attention on smooth shifting not altering
the simmetry of your model.so when you move polys
u ca move them in axis hitting ctrl when dragging.
with mouse.

that's all!!

hope this helps in some way.:thumbsup:

DADDYGOODY
07-17-2003, 09:38 PM
This is my first attempt at building textures and shaders for a model. His lips dont really look real what should I do to make them look more photo realistic. also how can I make eyelashes.
http://www.123ezcd.com/manwip.jpg

Nemoid
07-18-2003, 10:03 AM
the whole model is nice.
some task with the nose, eyes and other things,
but nice.

to do the lips u have to look for reference, if your going for
photorealistic take a great amount of reference.
however, bumpmaps and diffusion maps are the key.

bumpmaps to draw the wrinkles in mouth and diffusion to set a different diffusion level to that surface. maybe also there will be the need for other maps. Toggle with the material settings specularity and glossiness till it appears like wet.

ah, if u never read, read Leigh's tutorials about texturing :
they explain so well all the basic techniques u can use to obtain
the look u want in lightwave

DADDYGOODY
07-18-2003, 06:20 PM
Thanks For the info but even iff I make a bumbmap I still cant figure out how to make the wrinkles.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.