PDA

View Full Version : Best Programing Language

MF3dream
04-25-2009, 06:05 PM
Hello everyone I just simply want to ask, what is the best programing language to learn for a "Lighting TD"? I know they all have different cons & pros and I don't want to start burn a War like the ones we have for example on Render engines or MAX vs Maya! :D
Some options of course are: Python, C++ or MEL
AND to what extent, I know in the industry having the knowledge of RSL is one of top MUSTs for a Lighting TD and the ability to manipulate the shader codes etc.
Thanks everyone

mister3d
04-25-2009, 09:06 PM
I have no idea...but maya and renderman are good choices if you are serious about lighting TD (renderman has its own language, as far as I know). I bet other renderers will be like peanuts after that.

MF3dream
04-26-2009, 06:13 PM
Thanks "mister3d". yes as I mentioned before I know about the dominance of PRman in the industry and also why.... but something that I'm curious about it is the programing languages.... as I know all top notch companies like ILM, SonyImageWorks etc, expect some kind of programing knowledge from lighting TDs... but not to be a programmer... I am really curious about what programing language is the standard or I should say is more beneficial for a lighting TD in industry? is it python or C++ or what? :bounce:

SO HhhhHelp! :D:thumbsup:

1armedScissor
04-27-2009, 03:47 AM
python is essential for anyone doing TD work imo.

burgess3D
05-04-2009, 11:23 PM
When I started working as a Lighting TD I knew Java, C/C++ and a bit of C# but can honestly say I haven't used those languages once. I'd say I use python more than anything else followed closely by hscript (one of Houdini's scripting languages and even it is being phased out for python)

sundialsvc4
05-07-2009, 03:25 AM
"The answer is, 'there is no answer.' "

A programming language (or a scripting language) is just ... "a tool for a job." It allows you to leverage the computer's ability to carry out a programmed task at very high speed, perhaps while you are asleep. If you tend toward the "data wrangler" side of the production process, such skills might be extremely important to you. But it's not going to be a blanket case of "one size fits all." If you find yourself working in the situations where these types of skills are commonly employed, you might find yourself working in many languages during the course of a workday ... and thinking absolutely nothing of it.

Where to begin? Well, "pick a language, any language." Learn something about it. Fool around with it. Vacuum the Internet to learn more about it. Don't try to become a wizard: just learn what the tool is useful for, and what it's used for. Try to get the big picture first.

CGTalk Moderation
05-07-2009, 03:25 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.