PDA

View Full Version : some maya fur eyelashes

Sciortino
04-25-2009, 04:49 AM
Hey everybody,
Since Jeremy's last challenge thread is archived, I thought this would be a reasonable place to post some info on replacing the eyelashes in that challenge's model, in case anybody finds it helpful. I was using Maya 2008 Unlimited for this.

At the bottom of this message there's a screen grab collage of the settings for the fur descriptions. The necessary fur maps are here (about 1MB): http://incblots.com/images/cgtalk/challenge19/fur_maps.zip

In the screen grab, the first two columns of settings are for eyebrows. The lighting and composition in my scene really subordinated the eyelashes to other scene elements, so they may still be a bit rough.

Briefly, how to attach fur:
(1) Select the geometry you want to attach the fur to. In this case, it would be polySurface1 in the HeadPatch group.
(2) Assuming you have fur in Maya, switch to the rendering menu set, and the Fur menu should be just to the right of the Paint Effects menu. Select Fur > Attach Fur Description > New. Attach four fur descriptions. The first two will be for eyebrows, the last two for eyelashes.
(3) Set the fur description parameters as shown in the screen grab of the Attribute Editor.
(4) In your Attribute Editor, below the settings shown in my screen grab, there's a Details tab. Open that and you'll see a long list of other tabs, one for each parameter listed above the Details tab. Here are the other remaining fur settings I used, and the respective map linkages (the numbers shown below are Map Offset - Map Multiplier - Noise Amplitude - Noise Frequency - [filename]):

Fur Description 1 (eyebrow part 1):
baldness: 0 - 1 - 0 - 10 - eye_maps_eyebrow_01-baldness1.jpg
polar: 0 - 1 - 0 -10 - eye_maps_eyebrow_01-polar4.jpg

Fur Description 2 (eyebrow part 2):
(same as FD1)

Fur Description 3 (bottom eyelashes):
length: 0 - 1.5 - 0 - 10 - eye_maps_eyelashes-01-length2.jpg
baldness: 0 - 1 - 0 - 10 - eye_maps_eyelashes-01-baldness_b5.jpg
inclination: 0 - 1 - 0.1 - 10 - eye_maps_eyelashes-01-inclination_b1.jpg

Fur Description 4 (top eyelashes):
length: 0 - 2 - 0 - 10 - eye_maps_eyelashes-01-length2.jpg
baldness: 0 - 1 - 0 - 10 - eye_maps_eyelashes-01-baldness_t4.jpg
inclination: 0 - 1 - 0 - 10 - eye_maps_eyelashes-01-inclination_t4.jpg
polar: 0 - 1 - 0.25 - 10 - eye_maps_eyelashes-01-polar2.jpg
base curl: 0 - 1 - 0 - 10 - eye_maps_eyelashes-01-basecurl_t2.jpg

To attach each file select "polySurface1" in the Assigned Surfaces box (new the top of the Attribute Editor), then scroll down to the relevant tab (e.g. Baldness) and in the Map sub-tab, click Add Item.

Finally, to get shadows of your eyebrows and eyelashes, select a light you want to be the shadow casting light, then Fur > Fur Shadowing Attributes > Add to Selected Light.

http://incblots.com/images/cgtalk/challenge19/settings.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
04-25-2009, 04:49 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.