PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Skybox

mrittman
04-24-2009, 04:32 PM
Hey I was wondering if anyone might know a better way to create a skybox… All I did was render 6 images in Terragen of the different angles to create a “cube”. Then I went into 3ds max, created a cube, applied the 6 images to each side and flipped the normals. I also just applied a 100% self illumination to the 6 textures that make up the cube and it works fine when using max’s default lights. When I insert a sunlight/skylight, the cube skybox is completely black but the terrain I created is lit okay… I tried everything I could but cannot get it light correctly when rendering with Mental Ray. If anyone has a better solution to what I’m doing I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!
Matt

almightie
05-20-2009, 11:13 AM
Hey I was wondering if anyone might know a better way to create a skybox… All I did was render 6 images in Terragen of the different angles to create a “cube”. Then I went into 3ds max, created a cube, applied the 6 images to each side and flipped the normals. I also just applied a 100% self illumination to the 6 textures that make up the cube and it works fine when using max’s default lights. When I insert a sunlight/skylight, the cube skybox is completely black but the terrain I created is lit okay… I tried everything I could but cannot get it light correctly when rendering with Mental Ray. If anyone has a better solution to what I’m doing I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!
Matt

Either you can use MR Sky in your environment panel and use any sky as your sky....

Other is to use normal Jpeg as sky map in environment and then drag that image tab to empty material slot....you will find wrapping option in your material editor slot parameters...select spherical map...Important thing is to use seamless sky map.....

If you are making a sky dome then go to properties of that dome and uncheck Cast Shadow and Receive Shadow....

Let me know how it works.....:)

mrittman
05-20-2009, 01:13 PM
Hey thanks for replying! I think I figured it out without using MR because I had too many problems. I just stuck with the Scanline renderer because it allows better self-illumination of the skybox. Thanks again :)

almightie
05-20-2009, 02:12 PM
but try it once with mental ray in your free time....mental ray exterior setup gives more light handling options then scanline (though scanline is always my favorite rendering) but its always good to learn multiple options for performing one thing....

CGTalk Moderation
05-20-2009, 02:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.