PDA

View Full Version : 3D Max Facade shader

bgavares
04-24-2009, 04:15 PM
Trying to use the facade shader, the documentation provided by lume sux. I'm trying to make clouds for an aircraft fly thru. Anyone ever used the facade or does anyone know of any tutorials, (outside of the lume website) that can help? Much apprec.

stinky B

mister3d
04-24-2009, 04:35 PM
What particular difficulties do you have with facade?
Create a "mental ray" shader tree type,
Choose "facade" into surfce slot.
Create a plane with your clouds. Put a bitmap into bitmap slot of "facade"
Increase the size of the bitmap in settings of "facade" untill you like.
If you need the image being positioned as it looks at the camera, turn off "cyllindrical rotation" It positions the Y axis towards the camera, making it constantly aimed at the camera, i.e like a look-at constraint.
Duplicate your planes with clouds, or scatter them with scatte runction around the plane of the sky, or the other way appropriate for you.

bgavares
04-24-2009, 06:32 PM
that works ok, but I'm not happy with the effect. I need a way to fill a particle system with smoke and tell it to fuzz the edges. Any idea about that one? I know afterburn can do that effect, but my Company will not spend the money on it right now. I know that using the partivolume shader in the volume shader will do it, but unfortunately the effect is both additive and the edges are very blurred. Also I cannot place an edge shader on it if its filled with a Parti Volume also.

noouch
04-24-2009, 06:46 PM
Try this:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=553628

CGTalk Moderation
04-24-2009, 06:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.